MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting Today McMaster ER Closed to Adults - 18 and older must go to other Hospitals Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-09-2011 10:43 AM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Awards for Entering Students Vaidawg Financial Aid 5 08-04-2010 04:44 PM
are we allowed to sell older midterms? green Academics 9 04-09-2009 06:59 PM
Entering 2nd Year Commerce - What Classes to Take in Summer? jwei Academics 6 03-25-2009 07:19 PM

Older Students entering first year

Old 06-25-2011 at 03:17 AM   #16
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

can you use the electives from the first program for the second program?
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:54 AM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
Had a 70 year old guy attending Math 1LT3 lectures. Nobody sat next to him... Nice of him for wanting to learn more calculus.
Theres this old **** who sits in on pretty much every course in JHE... I think he audits them, but I also think he's bored with life. Anyways, this guy is probably a super genius by now (hes been there 3+ years).
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:13 AM   #18
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Theres this old **** ... I also think he's bored with life.
why the need to describe him this way?

and why do you jump to the conclusion he's bored with life? couldn't possibly be reasons such as: he enjoys learning, he worked his whole life and only now does he have the opportunity, he has limited pension funds and it's a way of doing something productive that's free, etc.

what should he be doing instead... sitting on a bench at the mall?

seriously, who cares who's there, what their circumstances are or what their ages are. i could say equally derogatory things about some of the 1st year students i've had to sit near but i don't because i figure we're all there to learn and they're just making their own way through.

Old 06-25-2011 at 02:05 PM   #19
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think it takes courage to go to university as a mature student. I'm only 23, but I'm starting a new college in the fall and I'm nervous because most students will be 17 or 18 years old. I can't imagine how difficult it is for older students.
I just wanted to say that you shouldn't worry about being older than other students, I did a year of college before starting university and the age range is much more diverse in many colleges. Some programs will have more mature students than others, but seeing a group of people walking together in the halls that included people of a variety of ages was not uncommon
Old 06-25-2011 at 02:34 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
I just wanted to say that you shouldn't worry about being older than other students, I did a year of college before starting university and the age range is much more diverse in many colleges. Some programs will have more mature students than others, but seeing a group of people walking together in the halls that included people of a variety of ages was not uncommon
Thanks for the reply! I figured college would have a diverse age group, but I'm just nervous becaue the orientation session was mostly teenagers.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:15 PM   #21
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I'm old, a mature (ha!) student. It's a bit lonely sometimes. Usually I find people in my classes who I become friendly enough with that sharing notes when class is missed isn't a problem, but I have yet to make a friend that transcends one semester. Maybe I'm not outgoing enough? Unsure truthfully.

All that said, can I tell those of you who are younger something? A bit of advice perhaps...

If you're struggling and your path is unclear, whatever you do, finish your 3 yr degree at the very least. Maybe your grades could be better or the social life isn't what you expect but if I can say one thing - find a way to get to the end of even the most basic degree. That piece of paper is (un/fortunately?) a key to so many possibilities.

I quit after a single year when I was 18. I worked, got married, had kids and now I'm back, both because I'm not done learning but also because you truly cannot predict what the future holds. In my case, my spouse is now disabled and it won't be long before he is unable to work (he's currently 39). Before long, it will be on me to support my family and currently I don't have the education required to do much and though he makes great money, we are not independently wealthy. There are upsides, my kids are learning that their Mom is a lot tougher than they ever get gave her credit for. I'm a lot smarter than I gave myself credit for me and my spouse is so proud of me I'm surprised he doesn't have a cheesy bumper sticker on his car.

Stay in school, make it work. So much easier when you don't have outside responsibilities.

Sorry for the novel.

Alchemist11, AnguishedEnd, Biochem47, crazyfree, icecubz, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to jackiemac for this post.

Old 06-25-2011 at 05:47 PM   #22
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I'm old, a mature (ha!) student. It's a bit lonely sometimes. Usually I find people in my classes who I become friendly enough with that sharing notes when class is missed isn't a problem, but I have yet to make a friend that transcends one semester. Maybe I'm not outgoing enough? Unsure truthfully.

All that said, can I tell those of you who are younger something? A bit of advice perhaps...

If you're struggling and your path is unclear, whatever you do, finish your 3 yr degree at the very least. Maybe your grades could be better or the social life isn't what you expect but if I can say one thing - find a way to get to the end of even the most basic degree. That piece of paper is (un/fortunately?) a key to so many possibilities.

I quit after a single year when I was 18. I worked, got married, had kids and now I'm back, both because I'm not done learning but also because you truly cannot predict what the future holds. In my case, my spouse is now disabled and it won't be long before he is unable to work (he's currently 39). Before long, it will be on me to support my family and currently I don't have the education required to do much and though he makes great money, we are not independently wealthy. There are upsides, my kids are learning that their Mom is a lot tougher than they ever get gave her credit for. I'm a lot smarter than I gave myself credit for me and my spouse is so proud of me I'm surprised he doesn't have a cheesy bumper sticker on his car.

Stay in school, make it work. So much easier when you don't have outside responsibilities.

Sorry for the novel.

I love hearing the stories of mature students. All of you have such a better appreciation of education than those who are not. Not to say that us "regular" aged undergrads don't think much of school, but the majority of us have yet to deal with other options.

Thanks for this
Old 06-25-2011 at 06:27 PM   #23
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Some people have mentioned they're in their early 20s and entering first/second year...do you actually feel or get treated in a way where you think that's even a significant age gap? Isn't it just like having a third or fourth year student in a first year class? I don't think that's very uncommon.

I would say, once someone gets married and has worked for a few years or something that they would be considered a "mature student". Someone who took 1 or 2 years off or went to college or is getting a second degree doesn't really seem that much older to me.
Old 06-25-2011 at 07:08 PM   #24
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

I'm taking the 6 year undergraduate program here at McMaster. After that I'll maybe pick up a few more degrees, get some PhDs or whatever. The overarching plan is to stay in school, receiving OSAP to pay for it every year, forever. Until I die. Without paying my loans. Good luck with that, offspring and family!
Old 06-25-2011 at 07:09 PM   #25
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

My dad went back to get a second degree when he was over 40 and thanks to the life experience (despite raising three kids at the same time) totally owned his classes, and received some of the highest honours the university gives. I think you just have more focus when you go when you're older-when you're a kid you go because it's just what's supposed to happen after high school. When you're an adult you know exactly why you're there. There's just no reason to fcuk around.
My sister also returned to university when she was in her late 20's after getting expelled for low grades(too much screwing around) the first time around when she was 20. She managed to work full time and do much better as a mature student.

I respect both of them so much for doing that, and in turn, knowing what they went through to get their degrees, I totally respect other mature students. Not only that but I find the older students tend to be most vocal and insightful students in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Some people have mentioned they're in their early 20s and entering first/second year...do you actually feel or get treated in a way where you think that's even a significant age gap? Isn't it just like having a third or fourth year student in a first year class? I don't think that's very uncommon.

I would say, once someone gets married and has worked for a few years or something that they would be considered a "mature student". Someone who took 1 or 2 years off or went to college or is getting a second degree doesn't really seem that much older to me.
I was kinda thinking the same thing until I remembered how I felt coming into first year. I only took one year off, but honestly that alone already made me feel so much older than everyone who came straight out of high school. There was just a huge maturity gap for most of first year until it kind of evened out.
So I can't even imagine how weird it must be after having actually lived so much more life.

Old 06-25-2011 at 07:13 PM   #26
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

your mom goes to college

J. Dorey, jackiemac like this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 08:35 PM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

I understand what you're saying. But I think there is a difference between a 22 year old starting university, and a 4th year student taking first year classes. When I was in fourth year, I took some first year classes. There were some people who commented on it to me (who didnt yet understand how uni works and that older students can take first year classes), but it was easy to ignore them because it was like "Oh first years, you will understand one day. Glad I never haveto see you again". But a 22 year old who just started university might have trouble dealing with 'You're old' comments, since they have to see those people for the next 3 or 4 years. I agree that it's probably MUCH harder for students who stand out more in age, but I can imagine it's tough for 20-something's who are just starting out too.
For the most part, I know first years generally don't care about age gaps and most won't even notice. But some people (even TAs) can be such jerks without even realizing it. I feel bad for singling out first years here, because there are inconsiderate people everywhere. But in a first year class is where a mature student is probably most likely to experience this stuff.
Old 06-26-2011 at 01:36 AM   #28
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I was kinda thinking the same thing until I remembered how I felt coming into first year. I only took one year off, but honestly that alone already made me feel so much older than everyone who came straight out of high school. There was just a huge maturity gap for most of first year until it kind of evened out.
So I can't even imagine how weird it must be after having actually lived so much more life.
Dude, I'm in the same boat. I only took one year off, and I was still 18 when I entered university, but sometimes I'd sit and think, "All these people in my lecture hall are younger than me. WHOA." If I sat and thought about it, it really felt as if I was too old to be in first year. And then I had a friend who was 17. SHE FELT LIKE A BABY TO ME, I TELL YOU.

So I definitely agree about the last line. Coming back to college as a mature student really takes courage, and it's an admirable step.

I'm glad this thread was made. It's taught me to be more open-minded and consider a lot more possibilities when encountering a mature student, and especially to see things from their POV.

jackiemac says thanks to Faer for this post.

crazyfree, dreamer21 like this.
Old 06-26-2011 at 01:48 AM   #29
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
If people truly understood the alternative, they might think twice about coming to class and talking the whole time, watching movies, facebook or just generally being a disruption. Now imagine if you have seen real life and you have to sit there and watch the privileged few treat it like a joke. It is very frustrating.
On this point, I can see the talking being disruptive (it drives me insane!), but I've never really been disturbed by other people watching movies or being on Facebook. Perhaps it's because I've been so busy trying to adapt to the lecture-style class (I'm not a mature student, I came straight from high school), but I've never really found what others are doing on their computers disruptive. Talking on the other hand? Don't even get me started about that. I definitely agree that not enough people take first year serious enough. I mean, these 4 years are basically deciding your future, might as well pay attention, right? As for the original post about mature students, I'll be honest, at first it was a bit strange seeing 50+ year olds sitting in my History lectures, seeing as I was coming straight from high school, but there's definitely nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone is entitled to their own education, after all, no matter what age. I also think it takes a MASSIVE amount of courage to come back to school, so what began as a "Whoa I didn't realize that older students could enrol in first year courses" quickly turned into a "So what? They're here for the exact same reason I am".
Old 06-26-2011 at 03:36 PM   #30
joanab

Liked: 2 Times

It is nice to read all these stories. Im starting in the fall and I will be 23 in October and am a little worried about the age gap. Honestly I think age is just a number. A nice person will be your friend no matter what your age so im not too worried about meeting people. Age isnt a factor when it comes to friendship and its no reason to mistreat your classmates over. I have been to college and some of the older people were at the top of the class. It is all about how motivated you are to succeed and get your education.

I also met a woman on the bus once who was 80+ and kept taking science classes at mcmaster and good for her. She has a passion and she continues to go back to school to continue to learn about things she loves. If your healthy, driven, and have a passion for something then you should continue to do it no matter what your age is.

minig12 likes this.