MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online Courses Snowman Academics 14 05-30-2012 07:15 PM
Online Courses - Where do you take them? resh.jyoti Academics 7 02-22-2010 12:14 PM
Online Courses hadimuhammad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-15-2009 09:32 PM
Online Courses? Mac12 Academics 8 04-13-2009 08:45 PM
Online Courses?! ingénieur.xo Academics 14 01-19-2009 12:18 AM

online courses

Old 05-22-2013 at 12:24 AM   #1
Jennnnn

Liked: 4 Times

online courses
Hi, is it possible to finish two chem courses by the end of august at athabasca? I've recently changed programs, and i want to graduate on time, so i was looking into online courses as an option. Anyone whos had experience with athabasca, id appreciate any help. Also, for invigilators, how much are the fees usually? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2013 at 12:29 AM   #2
Jennnnn

Also, i know at mac each course is approx. $600 (3 units) but i know this varies, how much do courses usually on average cost at athabasca for 3 units?
Old 05-22-2013 at 12:59 PM   #3
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

You can definitely finish two courses over the summer. I've taken anatomy and physiology through Athabasca, and it counted as two courses. Although it took me three months to do it, I didn't actually spend a lot of time working on it each day. If you're committed enough and put in more time, you can definitely finish before Sept. Invigilator fees vary from place to place but they are usually between 30-100 dollars. I live in Toronto, so the place I booked charged me around $35 per test. I heard from a friend that writing it at Mac costs $100, though.

For a course like chemistry, I'm not sure if the labs will be take-home labs or you'll have to fly to the university to complete them. It's best to check out the course outline/requirements first.
Old 05-22-2013 at 04:25 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Well, at this point, if you register today then you could begin the course on July 1, so you judge for yourself if two months is enough time for two courses.

It also depends what the courses are, what other things you have going on during July/August, and how fast of a self-learner you are.

Is it possible? Of course. But that doesn't mean it won't be difficult.
Old 05-22-2013 at 08:24 PM   #5
Jennnnn

Thanks for the input! Also, why is it only until July 1st that i'll be taking the course? I already sent the letter of permission, how long do they usually take to be processed?
Old 05-22-2013 at 08:39 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

According to the Athabasca website, you need to register by the 10th of the preceding month in order to start on the 1st of the month, so if you wanted to start June 1 you would have needed to register by May 10.
Old 05-22-2013 at 08:44 PM   #7
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Just keep in mind that if it is a Chemistry course that requires a LAB component (as many do) then you have to actually go and do the labs and most of the labs are done in athabasca or edmonton. I know in August there are a couple days that you can do your lab component at Mcmaster University for Athabasca's online organic chem courses but there is a minimum time requirement necessary to spend in the lab of about 35 hours per course...so you may want to look into that because if you have TWO chem courses it may be difficult!
Old 05-23-2013 at 10:16 PM   #8
Jennnnn

I sent the letter of permission to mcmaster regarding taking the courses at athabasca. After this process, do I apply for the course on the athabasca site or should I wait until its been approved just in case? also, after approval, by mac, are there any other steps I'd have to do besides making sure athabasca send my transcript marks to mac? Sorry for so many questions, but I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2013 at 01:27 AM   #9
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

probably not for you, no, since you had to ask.
Old 05-24-2013 at 11:26 AM   #10
Jennnnn

any help please :(