MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is everything done online in level 2 + courses luxhydrus First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-13-2010 08:07 PM
Podcasted/Online Courses Kwaddell Academics 3 08-11-2010 08:37 AM
Online Courses hadimuhammad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-15-2009 09:32 PM
Online Courses? Mac12 Academics 8 04-13-2009 08:45 PM
Online Courses?! ingénieur.xo Academics 14 01-19-2009 12:18 AM

Online Courses - Where do you take them?

Old 02-19-2010 at 03:37 PM   #1
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Online Courses - Where do you take them?
Hey!
Has anyone ever taken an online course for Physics 1L03? It doesnt have labs, so I spoke with a physics coordinator lady and she said it was ok to take one as long as it's approved, but how does it work?
Do you get a pass/fail? Or a grade?
When would you have to complete it by for it to count for your second year admissions?

THANKS A LOT!
Old 02-19-2010 at 04:12 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Athabasca has the largest selection of online courses to the best of my knowledge, so you could check that out. You will be charged more for being an out of province student though. U of T has some, but their selection is lower. I'm relatively sure they don't have a Physics option. I'm doing an Anatomy course online from U of T, and you get a grade. I think we get the marks within a few days of finishing the exam. As long as you submit your transcript you'll be fine.

One option, since 1L03 is a highschool equivalent is to do a correspondence course for Grade 12 U physics. It won't count towards your degree, but it will let you take 1B03 if that's what you need it for. Its also free.

Last edited by Marlowe : 02-19-2010 at 04:16 PM.

resh.jyoti says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 02-19-2010 at 05:20 PM   #3
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Athabasca has the largest selection of online courses to the best of my knowledge, so you could check that out. You will be charged more for being an out of province student though. U of T has some, but their selection is lower. I'm relatively sure they don't have a Physics option. I'm doing an Anatomy course online from U of T, and you get a grade. I think we get the marks within a few days of finishing the exam. As long as you submit your transcript you'll be fine.

One option, since 1L03 is a highschool equivalent is to do a correspondence course for Grade 12 U physics. It won't count towards your degree, but it will let you take 1B03 if that's what you need it for. Its also free.
Are the U of T ones the ones listed as continuing ed or something? I wasn't sure if those were the same ones you're allowed to take as a university student. :\
Old 02-19-2010 at 06:53 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Laurentian, Waterloo and Guelph have some as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-19-2010 at 08:13 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
Are the U of T ones the ones listed as continuing ed or something? I wasn't sure if those were the same ones you're allowed to take as a university student. :\
Yes, they're listed under the continuing studies. You have to make sure the course is equivalent to one offered at Mac though, so a lot of the online courses from U of T aren't eligible. (Some are just for interest, some are diploma level, etc) I think they're working to increase the number of degree level ones. (The ones that can be applied to Mac).

marieeeeeee says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 02-22-2010 at 11:54 AM   #6
shaiks4

Liked: 0 Times

I know Athabasca and Ryerson are recognised by Mcmaster as being credible online programs listed in Counsellor's Office. They even have a course equivalent list posted on associate Dean of science website
Old 02-22-2010 at 12:03 PM   #7
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaiks4 View Post
I know Athabasca and Ryerson are recognised by Mcmaster as being credible online programs listed in Counsellor's Office. They even have a course equivalent list posted on associate Dean of science website
Here's the link to the list they were talking about.

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...-of-permission

Just scroll to the bottom.
Old 02-22-2010 at 12:14 PM   #8
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i was just wondering about this, thanks for all the great info!