MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Pass crazy4trees First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-17-2012 08:02 AM
Bus Pass GCSM Automotive & Transportation 35 08-31-2011 02:24 PM
Mac pass ? sayok8737 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-18-2010 01:54 PM
Bus Pass Opt-Out thirdyearboy General Discussion 60 10-21-2009 10:01 AM

OPT OUT OF HSR Bus Pass

Old 09-16-2013 at 11:33 AM   #1
shay2014

Liked: 4 Times

OPT OUT OF HSR Bus Pass
Hey,

I know we can opt out of the MSU Dental and Health plan if we have equivalent or better coverage, but can students opt out of the HSR Bus Pass? I am a full-time student but I commute from Oakville so I never use the student card as a bus pass ( only use the Train and Go-Train to get to school). I'd rather spend the $126.15 for a service I actually need. Just wondering if anyone knows if opting out is an option.
Old 09-16-2013 at 11:42 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

No, you cannot opt out of the HSR fee.

Chad, shay2014 all say thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 09-16-2013 at 12:24 PM   #3
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

The reason that the MSU is able to get such a good deal on the bus passes is because they agree to charge all students it in their MSU fee. Sorry, nothing you can do about this.

Chad says thanks to Commie42 for this post.
Old 09-16-2013 at 03:38 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Not possible. Was part of deal that every person pays
Old 09-16-2013 at 07:35 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
The reason that the MSU is able to get such a good deal on the bus passes is because they agree to charge all students it in their MSU fee. Sorry, nothing you can do about this.
Its actually not that cheap.

# of undergrad students at mac: 25k

cost per student: $126.15
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/info/hami...-rail-hsr-pass

approx total contribution of McMaster to HSR: $3,153,750

Total Operating budget (2011): $32,202,000
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...nges_8_1_1.pdf

%Mcmaster students contribute to total HSR budget = 10%

So you see...for the small set of busses most mac students use we actually do not get a very good deal
Old 09-16-2013 at 07:45 PM   #6
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post

So you see...for the small set of busses most mac students use we actually do not get a very good deal
Speak for yourself. it's an amazing deal, if you use the bus regularly.

A regular adult monthly pass is $87. Multiply that by 8 months and you've got almost $700 O_O. Paying $125 isn't a bad price at all.

Even if you use the bus once in a while, like a couple times a week, Id rather have a pass instead of tickets and have to worry about transfers/making it on time, etc.

If you don't live in Hamilton or use the bus often, yes, it does suck, I get it. Part of the idea is to make first years want to explore since they have 'free' bus fare (AKA dont have to worry about digging for change, dealing with expiring transfers, etc).

Old 09-16-2013 at 08:12 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Gotta make extra bucks for all da students clogging up the HSR in the morning maybe?
Old 09-16-2013 at 09:46 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Monica makes a great point, you'd be paying $700 in monthly bus pass fees if you were to pay regular price on your own.

Having the 'mass buying power' of the entire full-time student body has it's perks... if you're a heavy user of the HSR that is.

When I was a student at Mac I found myself getting used to using the HSR a lot more, since having to only show your student card instead of paying fare makes it very easy to board the bus. Simple things like taking the HSR to just go a few blocks down the street to a restaurant, or to the mall, etc. becomes regular habit once you realize the potential of the unlimited transportation you now have access to. It doesn't need to just be for going to and from school.. use it for everything when you need to get around.

And to make things even more efficient and convenient, use the app called 'Bus Ticker' to get the next HSR schedule times so you aren't waiting around in the cold at the bus stop... it's built by a Mac student: http://www.bustickerapp.com/