MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much grade point is needed to get into mechanical? soody Academics 57 10-24-2010 12:23 PM
how to convert 12 point scale to 4 point scale? VoyozooT Academics 2 06-05-2010 05:43 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction? Melanieee Academics 4 03-01-2010 10:01 AM
12 Point Grade Average Problem huzaifa47 Academics 29 06-23-2009 01:04 AM
Point of Retaking Course MSS12 Academics 15 06-10-2009 05:38 PM

Options at this point?

Old 05-04-2011 at 01:14 PM   #1
Rigoroso

Liked: 0 Times

Options at this point?
Hey, I'm currently a first year student for the computer science program at the engineering faculty. Ironically, despite my choice of program I suck at math and have been struggling with all my math courses this year, during second term I had comp sci 1FC3 which completely obliterated me and I'm pretty sure I failed the course. I'm not entirely sure because the grades still haven't come up for that course on mugsi and now I'm told I won't see them till May 30th. So I thought I'd take the summer school course for it but mcmaster doesn't offer it here, I'd have to take an equivalent course at either UfT, York, or Ottowa. Well its already May and I can't for the life of me navigate these universities' sites for information like their summer school deadlines. So I have a load of questions:

1. If I fail 1FC3, which was a non-elective course, and don't take it in the summer, am I out of the computer science program?

2. Computer Science seems like the blacksheep of the eng faculty, are there any other eng. programs I could possibly switch to considering comp sci doesn't have alot of the common courses the other eng programs do, like physics and chemistry?

3. Is it too late to get a letter of permission and take the 1FC3 equivalent at say, York?

4. is it possible to just... repeat first year and try harder next year? How bad would that be and how would it affect things like OSAP and my academic standing?

5. Have I essentially failed my first year of university?

6. What now?

Sorry about the small wall of text, but I've been plagued with questions over what to do now and I'd rather not make multiple threads for each question. I've never been good with forms or applications, and the processes I have to go through here at Mac are overwhelming me as I'm finding it hard to work my way through these university sites, especially without knowing what to really do myself. Any advice or informaton would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2011 at 01:25 PM   #2
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Hey, I'm in Comp Sci too, I actually dropped 1FC3 to concentrate on the maths and I'm taking it at Ryerson. The course started this Monday and I know the application deadlines for U of T and York are long gone, but call them up and ask.

1. No you're not necessarily out, go talk to Sally Williams. It can definitely be worked around.

2. You can't really switch into any other engineering program without doing everything from Engineering level 1, which means essentially another year.

3. Dunno if it's too late, start calling up universities ASAP and then call up or go see Sally Williams to see if you can still get one.

4. For failing one course there's no way you need to repeat your first year, I don't even think they'll let you repeat courses.

5. Nope! Failing a course is pretty normal in the engineering faculty, don't stress about it too much.

6. Just get looking at universities that'll still accept you for the summer, if not, sort it out with Sally. You can even get special permission to take the courses next year that have 1FC3 as a prerequisite.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-05-2011 at 03:13 PM   #3
vulture8

Liked: 0 Times

Kahl will most likely curve the 1FC3 marks because everyone struggled. You will probably be ok.