Organic Chemistry MichaelScarn Academics 5 06-14-2011 12:53 AM
when to take organic chemistry nadia1 Academics 7 06-06-2010 10:52 PM
Organic Chemistry sinthusized Academics 4 12-13-2008 07:14 PM

Organic Chemistry has new textbooks

Old 08-23-2011 at 11:42 AM   #1
richardysm

Liked: 4 Times

Organic Chemistry has new textbooks
I went to the Tank today and found out that there's going to be a new textbook this year for organic chemistry, so those of you who are selling the old organic chemistry books like me...

The lady from the Tank told me that I could take the book back to the hole in the wall for a buyback.

Just getting the info out there for those of you who are selling organic chemistry book.

omgmt, SciMania, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to richardysm for this post.
Old 08-23-2011 at 02:42 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I know :(. I was so annoyed when I found out. After first year, they decided to change Bio and Chem editions and now this.. Thanks for the info on buyback though!
Old 08-23-2011 at 02:46 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I've stopped trying selling my textbooks cuz the money I get back is barely worth the effort.
Now I just put them on my bookshelf to make me look smart.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Old 08-23-2011 at 03:43 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Just sell them on amazon, you can usually get a decent price.

Old 08-23-2011 at 03:45 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Hopefully it's better than the Solomons and Frye version, with more practice. It was a decent text for some concepts but Organic Chemistry should be taught with problems not walls of text.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

R633 likes this.
Old 08-23-2011 at 04:39 PM   #6
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

Hopefully I don't have to buy it
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:57 PM   #7
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I knew this was gonna happen so i sold my book just after my exam for those who are taking organic chemistry during summer school.

I hate how they keep changing the books. UGHH

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:29 PM   #8
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Honestly I found old tests and old assignments provided plenty of practice material for Orgo and never once did a practice question from the old textbook. Besides which the hardest questions are synthesis which can often be done in a bunch of different ways so there's not one textbook solution, besides which you can practice the longer ones with any compound and starting material without needing a textbook to tell you which ones.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:46 PM   #9
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Honestly I found old tests and old assignments provided plenty of practice material for Orgo and never once did a practice question from the old textbook. Besides which the hardest questions are synthesis which can often be done in a bunch of different ways so there's not one textbook solution, besides which you can practice the longer ones with any compound and starting material without needing a textbook to tell you which ones.
yeah I never used my book as well, I used to make my own synthesis questions and ask my friends of how they would do it, then they would ask me synthesis questions and thats how u kinda get a sense of what to do. I also depended on old tests for practice.

The 8th edition of the book is found in thode library and can be borrowed for up to 3 weeks and you can renew multiple times if anything.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:50 PM   #10
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

My favourite practice synthesis was when I figured out THC from easily available cheap starting material. It took quite a while and was probably of dubious pedagogical usefulness considering it was much longer than the questions we did but it was neat.
Old 08-24-2011 at 11:20 AM   #11
richardysm

*Update
I went to the hole in the wall today and they are not buying back organic chemistry text at the moment. I doubt they ever will...
Old 08-24-2011 at 11:31 AM   #12
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Time to start posting ads on the marketplace here then :p Do your damnedest to convince the lower years that older texbooks are still valid (they are!)
Old 08-24-2011 at 12:01 PM   #13
richardysm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Time to start posting ads on the marketplace here then :p Do your damnedest to convince the lower years that older texbooks are still valid (they are!)
are they really?
Old 08-24-2011 at 01:05 PM   #14
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardysm View Post
are they really?
Absolutely. I prefer buying the older editions. 99% of the time, all the new edition does is re-order a few chapters, change a few sentences here or there, or put in some new figures/pictures. The information is nearly identical, and you will save a lot of money buying older books.

I didn't even buy the Orgo textbook last year (my roommate did), so clearly I have no agenda in pushing the book on anyone :p
Old 11-10-2011 at 07:53 AM   #15
elnshaeey

Liked: 0 Times

video course in organic chemistry
if u need this i can post links