MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today's Orgo 2OB3 midterm SandraM Academics 25 03-06-2011 08:44 PM
Exam-aid Sessions For Chem, Orgo, Math And Physics! sosmcmaster Academics 0 11-30-2010 02:03 PM
Course Material for Orgo CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 Wolf11 Academics 8 07-17-2009 09:14 AM

Orgo 2OB3 Final Exam

Old 04-10-2011 at 08:32 PM   #46
Revolution1

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I put the alkyne one and 2
Me too. We all wanna change the world.
Old 04-10-2011 at 08:40 PM   #47
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Ah crap, I put 4...mainly because:

The aldol reaction is powerful because it unites two relatively simple molecules into a more complex one. Increased complexity arises because up to two new stereogenic centers (on the α- and β-carbon of the aldol adduct, marked with asterisks in the scheme below) are formed. This ability to selectively synthesize a particular stereoisomer is significant because different stereoisomers can have very different chemical or biological properties.

From wiki.

I thought 2 stereoisomers means 4 possibilities.
Old 04-10-2011 at 09:02 PM   #48
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Benzene + chloropropanone + AlCl3 ----> ? + methylamine -----> ? + NaBH4 -------> ?

SYNTHESIS!

Last edited by Toast : 04-10-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2011 at 10:57 PM   #49
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I put the alkyne one and 2
Alkyne... I hope. I saw that world alkyne and thought "thank you jesus".. I hope it was right... I'm trying to think out the mechanism in my head now... I don't think the oxamine (? whatever its called, the crazy square thing) would allow a triple bond to happen... where's the extra electrons gonna come from? You would have to make some crazy O triple bond to the PPh3...which I think would be ok for phosphorus, because its weird like that, but O... the only time I've seen that happen is with FC and Benzene, and that takes a lot of pushing (Lewis acid, etc) to happen

I had two for a long time... I think I switched it at the end to four because there's a second centre (where the OH is, I think...)... I wasn't very sure about it...

BTW, what was with all the mass spec questions? A radical cation counts as a charged species, right, because its kinda both...? I went through the exam assuming it was either a cation or an anion depending on the molecule, so I think it got away with it a couple of times, since a lot of the answers were anion or cation, but not both.

/just realizing we're probably scaring the crap out of any first year casually lurking, lol
Old 04-10-2011 at 11:01 PM   #50
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Benzene + chloropropanone + AlCl3 ----> ? + methylamine -----> ? + NaBH4 -------> ?

SYNTHESIS!
I'm not sure which question this is...

Random NaBH4s everywhere threw me off in those "15 of 20" questions... I was starting to wonder if it did something else, lol

The x, y, z MC ticked me off... they left both the second reagent and product blank... that was a it of a jerk move, had to juggle too many ideas imho

Also, complete hydrolysis of starch --> glucose only? As a bio student I am ashamed I had to think about that one...lol

Last edited by britb : 04-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2011 at 11:34 PM   #51
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:

SYNTHESIS!
Phenylacetone, then imine (both diastereomer), then reduced to amine!
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:19 AM   #52
Toast
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Phenylacetone, then imine (both diastereomer), then reduced to amine!
AND YOU GET?????

lux, marcie, RememberTwce like this.
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:30 AM   #53
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
AND YOU GET?????

Haha, nice. Breaking Bad. We totally should've gotten capretta to teach us how to synthesize crystal meth.
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:34 AM   #54
Toast
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Haha, nice. Breaking Bad. We totally should've gotten capretta to teach us how to synthesize crystal meth.

..................... ..............

Quote:

SYNTHESIS!

Last edited by Toast : 04-11-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:39 AM   #55
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

This thing (racemic).
But if you meant acetyl chloride in the first step then its 1 carbon shorter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final.jpg (2.9 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Serene : 04-11-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:44 AM   #56
lux

Liked: 318 Times

wow capretta that sneak. lol
Old 04-11-2011 at 12:46 AM   #57
Toast
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
wow capretta that sneak. lol
Wasn't on the exam...

Old 04-11-2011 at 02:12 AM   #58
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Alkyne... I hope. I saw that world alkyne and thought "thank you jesus".. I hope it was right... I'm trying to think out the mechanism in my head now... I don't think the oxamine (? whatever its called, the crazy square thing) would allow a triple bond to happen... where's the extra electrons gonna come from? You would have to make some crazy O triple bond to the PPh3...which I think would be ok for phosphorus, because its weird like that, but O... the only time I've seen that happen is with FC and Benzene, and that takes a lot of pushing (Lewis acid, etc) to happen

I had two for a long time... I think I switched it at the end to four because there's a second centre (where the OH is, I think...)... I wasn't very sure about it...

BTW, what was with all the mass spec questions? A radical cation counts as a charged species, right, because its kinda both...? I went through the exam assuming it was either a cation or an anion depending on the molecule, so I think it got away with it a couple of times, since a lot of the answers were anion or cation, but not both.

/just realizing we're probably scaring the crap out of any first year casually lurking, lol
Yeah, it was alkyne haha, luckily that was the first sentence I read and I knew it was false immediately.

I was thinking between 2 and 4 as well, and I ended up choosing 4 for the same reason (2 stereocenters/chiral centres...2^2 = 4).

The mass spec questions were annoying - however radicals do not count as charged species, and they are not viewed on mass spec. Only charged species (i.e., cations) are viewed in MS.
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:19 AM   #59
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Dr. Capretta is a funny ass prof. Taking orgo 2 is worth it just to have him teach you. That plus organic chemistry is fun, it's like puzzles and w.e.
Old 04-11-2011 at 11:41 AM   #60
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
Dr. Capretta is a funny ass prof. Taking orgo 2 is worth it just to have him teach you. That plus organic chemistry is fun, it's like puzzles and w.e.
Haha yeah, Capretta was hilarious! His jokes killed me... especially that time he was talking about some explosive reagent used to make bombs - "so, if you're an up-and-coming terrorist, this is for you!"

I hope that his "after 9pm" sense of humor never changes.

Orgo is pretty fun.. when you understand it. Definitely a challenge and I'm glad it's done, but at the same time I'll kinda miss it!

arathbon likes this.