MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opting out from Dental/Health plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-25-2010 07:36 PM
Use of Dental Plan? macstudent99 General Discussion 8 05-27-2009 06:36 PM
Dental plan? jordanrogers General Discussion 7 11-27-2008 09:50 PM
MSU Dental Plan! temara.brown General Discussion 7 08-18-2008 06:13 PM

OSAP 2011-2012 and Dental Plan question.

Old 03-16-2011 at 07:03 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

OSAP 2011-2012 and Dental Plan question.
Hey everyone. I was just wondering when the deadline for Osap 2011-2012 was. Also, I am in year two, but I have not chosen my stream yet for next year. It is listing me as Hon Life sci at the moment, but I'm not 100% I'll be studying this in the upcoming year. Can all of this information be changed later on?

I have a second question about the MSU dental plan. I require two wisdom teeth to be pulled, and I'm wondering how much I can expect to be covered by the dental plan. What is the exact procedure anyways? Do I pay the dentist up front and then apply for a claim? Wisdom required, any help appreciated .
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:21 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

the app usually comes out in the summer.... and to have it as an option on your payment agreement i believe the deadline is usually around the middle of july

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...geIncludes.htm
75%... some dentists accept the plan.. some want payment and u submit a claim... call around to different offices and ask their policy.. i believe ancaster dental accepts the plan on site

edit: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services/...neDentists.htm
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:28 PM   #3
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
I have a second question about the MSU dental plan. I require two wisdom teeth to be pulled, and I'm wondering how much I can expect to be covered by the dental plan. What is the exact procedure anyways? Do I pay the dentist up front and then apply for a claim? Wisdom required, any help appreciated .
First you are going to want to make an appointment with a dentist. There are a few that accept the Mcmaster dental plan. I would advise you to NOT use the campus dentist. They are really bad, require you to pay it all up front, and then only reimburse you 50% of what you paid because they have to call in a surgeon to do it.

There is a dentist in ancaster called Ancaster Dental Arts. I went there and they are amazing. If you dont have a way of getting there they provide free taxi pick up and return from mcmaster. Also, they do not require you to pay anything upfront that is covered. For wisdom teeth they cover the maximum (75%). So all you would have to pay is the 25% that isnt covered. They are really good and really nice and you can usually get an appointment fairly quickly. They will need to do xrays which are covered 1 time every 2 years. And your initial exam is covered 100%.

Just so you know you can only have 2 wisdom teeth removed per year under coverage. And keep in mind that even though some things are covered 100% it is only up to a maximum of 600%.
So if your exam, xrays and 2 teeth are under 600$ than you are good. Which they should be. Just dont plan on having a bunch of money left over for a bunch of cleanings.
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:30 PM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagaj View Post
First you are going to want to make an appointment with a dentist. There are a few that accept the Mcmaster dental plan. I would advise you to NOT use the campus dentist. They are really bad, require you to pay it all up front, and then only reimburse you 50% of what you paid because they have to call in a surgeon to do it.

There is a dentist in ancaster called Ancaster Dental Arts. I went there and they are amazing. If you dont have a way of getting there they provide free taxi pick up and return from mcmaster. Also, they do not require you to pay anything upfront that is covered. For wisdom teeth they cover the maximum (75%). So all you would have to pay is the 25% that isnt covered. They are really good and really nice and you can usually get an appointment fairly quickly. They will need to do xrays which are covered 1 time every 2 years. And your initial exam is covered 100%.

Just so you know you can only have 2 wisdom teeth removed per year under coverage. And keep in mind that even though some things are covered 100% it is only up to a maximum of 600%.
So if your exam, xrays and 2 teeth are under 600$ than you are good. Which they should be. Just dont plan on having a bunch of money left over for a bunch of cleanings.
Oooh thanks for the info. So not every dentist accepts the MSU dental plan? I don't live in Hamilton, so I was going to try a dentist closer to my home. I hear it costs roughly 1000$ to get two teeth pulled, including the anesthesia, so I guess I'll be expecting to pay around 400?
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:31 PM   #5
gallagaj

No, not every dentist accepts the plan. Im pretty sure there is only a few in hamilton that do, they are listed on the msu website.
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:36 PM   #6
lilkarina

Liked: 8 Times

if your dentist doesn't accept the plan it just means that you have to pay them the full amount. then fill out the insurance claim form (theres a section the dentist needs to fill out) to have the McMaster insurance reimbrse you for the amount they cover.
Old 03-16-2011 at 07:45 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

interesting, so lets say u already went for that first visit which was covered in full, then everytime you go after for something only 75% will be covered.

another q, if you need braces, or brackets or w.e (basically get your teeth straigthed) how much would that cost generally and how much would be covered?

also does ancaster charge for taking a look at you to asses what needs to be done?
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:31 PM   #8
gallagaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
interesting, so lets say u already went for that first visit which was covered in full, then everytime you go after for something only 75% will be covered.

another q, if you need braces, or brackets or w.e (basically get your teeth straigthed) how much would that cost generally and how much would be covered?

also does ancaster charge for taking a look at you to asses what needs to be done?

No, its not the visits that are covered, its what your having done. They dont charge you for a visit, they charge you for the work. And no they do not charge to take a look to see what is going to be done, that is covered 100%. Also, i dont believe braces or brackets are covered because that is not done by a dentist. It is done by an orthodontist. But you might want to look into it more, im not 100% sure.
Old 03-16-2011 at 08:52 PM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

yea sure right, dentist =/= orthodontist completely forgot about that its not covered
Old 03-16-2011 at 10:26 PM   #10
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

I used the McMaster dental plan for my wisdom teeth just in December. the way it worked was i went to my dentist in my hometown. i called ahead to make sure they accepted my mac plan. they did. so they pulled out all 4 of my wisdom teeth. mac only covers 2 extractions and my moms insurance (or secondary insurance that you might have through a parent or something) covers the rest. the only thing is you HAVE to file through the mac plan first, and then the difference is made up by your secondary insurance. I dont think we paid anything to have them out.
Old 03-17-2011 at 08:34 PM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicaaaa View Post
I used the McMaster dental plan for my wisdom teeth just in December. the way it worked was i went to my dentist in my hometown. i called ahead to make sure they accepted my mac plan. they did. so they pulled out all 4 of my wisdom teeth. mac only covers 2 extractions and my moms insurance (or secondary insurance that you might have through a parent or something) covers the rest. the only thing is you HAVE to file through the mac plan first, and then the difference is made up by your secondary insurance. I dont think we paid anything to have them out.
Wow, aren't you lucky! Those wisdom teeth must've been a nuisance. I thought mine were growing alright, but turns out they were sideways *Facepalm*.
Old 03-17-2011 at 08:42 PM   #12
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Mine's growing at a 45 degree angle, pushing my molars forward. :(

I have to get them taken out after my final exam.
Old 04-03-2011 at 03:42 PM   #13
Angoose
Elite Member

Has anyone applied for osap yet for 2011-2012?
Old 04-03-2011 at 09:14 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Has anyone applied for osap yet for 2011-2012?
Yes
I
Have
Why?
Old 04-03-2011 at 10:50 PM   #15
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Yes
I
Have
Why?
When I try to select my program it won't let me choose the one I want. All it shows when I search are Masters programs. I'm in first year and the program they automatically updated mine to wasn't the one I applied for, so I tried to change now. Now it's all weird and I can't select find the program I'm trying to get into: Life sciences1 to Molec Bio/Biochem.