MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you pick up your osap do you get all the amount including QEII scholarship? memyselfandi Financial Aid 6 08-24-2010 10:53 AM
OSAP loan amount smiles Financial Aid 1 07-09-2010 10:35 PM
Amount of OSAP mesopotamia Financial Aid 3 06-28-2010 06:10 PM
Summer OSAP amount mcmaster0812 Financial Aid 0 06-23-2010 07:34 PM
Summer School OSAP amount? goldfish101 Academics 2 04-13-2010 02:57 PM

OSAP amount!!..help!1 any1 got more than $11,700 ??

Old 07-13-2009 at 02:29 PM   #46
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

finally someone aggrees...
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:31 PM   #47
myster

Liked: 10 Times

Try to get a line of credit...? at least until January.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:35 PM   #48
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
That will blow any chance of getting a good reference. You know what's worse than no job experience? Job experience where your previous employer will tell your prospective employer how you lied your way into a job.
Which is why I always find out whether or not a company gives references before I apply to work somewhere. If not, you have a lot more leeway.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:35 PM   #49
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Just for the record, I don't know if you can change your res application now. Changes are usually reserved for severe conflicts/health problems etc. Give it a shot anyway?

Your situation sounds shitty. I'm really sorry. University bleeds a lot of people dry, and I hate how res and tuition fees pretty much increase every year. I would suggest looking into scholarships and bank loans... Places that your parents work at sometimes have scholarships for employees' kids. Every little bit helps! And budget budget budget! Look into buying books from upper years, and try not to go through your meal plan too fast. If you live close to home, you could probably bring food in yourself too. Campus jobs generally help too, as they can help pay off day to day expenses without cutting too much into OSAP. First year eng is a killer, but lots of people balance it with jobs/clubs/sports etc which is as much of a time committment.

This isn't impossible to get through! Good luck!

endearing66 says thanks to Geek for this post.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 02:54 PM   #50
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

When I was applying for OSAP, I read something on one of the forms that detailed one should/could not apply for other financial assistance while receiving OSAP. (and I think they meant another loan).

Did anybody else read that too? And if so, does it mean what I think it does, that i.e. Mack Master's only loan (signed in his name) can be OSAP?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-13-2009 at 03:07 PM   #51
zango
Elite Member

i dont get it though, if you applied to osap properly, then the amount of money they gave you should be what you need to pay for university.

if its not enough, then you didn't do the application right... or if thats the max, then you S.O.L.

but seriously i go back to the point that if you knew you would need financial aid you should have already been working in like grade 11/12 saving up, full time in summer, everything.

im working full time right now, 9-5 every day :( sucks but you gotta make money right.
Old 07-13-2009 at 03:16 PM   #52
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

I think that's a really innocent view Zango, and fails to take into consideration the circumstances of the huge variety of people that come to university and the vast combinations of circumstances that they come from. One cannot make judgements about a person unless they have walked in their shoes, let alone even know them!

I am sure that the original poster appreciates the helpful suggestions that they have gotten from some MacInsider members in answer to the questions they asked in their first post. It sounds like the person is overwhelmed by the debt they will incur -- for whatever reason, and we know nothing about their life or circumstances -- and what is to come. A little empathy and support can go a long way

endearing66 says thanks to daisy for this post.

Old 07-13-2009 at 03:19 PM   #53
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
I think that's a really innocent view Zango, and fails to take into consideration the circumstances of the huge variety of people that come to university and the vast combinations of circumstances that they come from. One cannot make judgements about a person unless they have walked in their shoes, let alone even know them!

I am sure that the original poster appreciates the helpful suggestions that they have gotten from some MacInsider members in answer to the questions they asked in their first post. It sounds like the person is overwhelmed by the debt they will incur -- for whatever reason, and we know nothing about their life or circumstances -- and what is to come. A little empathy and support can go a long way
That was one of the most articulate, courteous and meaningful messages I have ever read.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

daisy says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 03:30 PM   #54
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
i dont get it though, if you applied to osap properly, then the amount of money they gave you should be what you need to pay for university.

if its not enough, then you didn't do the application right... or if thats the max, then you S.O.L.

but seriously i go back to the point that if you knew you would need financial aid you should have already been working in like grade 11/12 saving up, full time in summer, everything.

im working full time right now, 9-5 every day :( sucks but you gotta make money right.

This is far from true. Some of the people I know who face the most financial need, don't get any OSAP at all, because their parents make a ton of money, but refuse to pay for school. Yes, hopefully most people are aware of this before starting university, and have worked throughout high school to pay for it, but realistically, expecting a student to make between $10-16 000 each year to pay for tuition/living expenses/books etc is harsh. OSAP doesn't take into account whether family member WILL pay or not, just whether they CAN.

Also, since the maximum is around $12 000 and clearly fees can amount to much greater than that, and theoretically you could start off with a bank balance of $0 (unlikley, but possible), logic would suggest that OSAP does not just give you the amount you need for school.

I'm also not saying that all these people are in some way more entitled to a post secondary education, but you may want to consider things like this before telling people that they messed up or are just SOL.

Last edited by Geek : 07-13-2009 at 03:32 PM.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 03:37 PM   #55
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
This is far from true. Some of the people I know who face the most financial need, don't get any OSAP at all, because their parents make a ton of money, but refuse to pay for school. Yes, hopefully most people are aware of this before starting university, and have worked throughout high school to pay for it, but realistically, expecting a student to make between $10-16 000 each year to pay for tuition/living expenses/books etc is harsh. OSAP doesn't take into account whether family member WILL pay or not, just whether they CAN.

Also, since the maximum is around $12 000 and clearly fees can amount to much greater than that, and theoretically you could start off with a bank balance of $0 (unlikley, but possible), logic would suggest that OSAP does not just give you the amount you need for school.

I'm also not saying that all these people are in some way more entitled to a post secondary education, but you may want to consider things like this before telling people that they messed up or are just SOL.
One way to get maximum entitlement is to speak with a financial aid advisor and explain that you're desperately below the poverty limit or to get your parents to write to your financial aid office formally declaring they will in no way assist your post secondary educational expenses, but to be sure on all the details I'd check with the SFAS

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

daisy says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 03:39 PM   #56
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

i didn't say they had to make $10-16,000 a year...

OSAP is paying $11,700, you're telling me you (in combination with your parents, or even not if they dont want to) cannot pick up the other $4,000? With the ability to pay OSAP later, all you would need is to work for like 2.5 months and it would be done with.

Im pretty sure thats more than possible, sorry but i dont follow.

I could understand if OSAP gave you nothing, but $11,700...
Old 07-13-2009 at 03:50 PM   #57
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:

OSAP is paying $11,700, you're telling me you (in combination with your parents, or even not if they dont want to) cannot pick up the other $4,000? With the ability to pay OSAP later, all you would need is to work for like 2.5 months and it would be done with.

I work full time, for $15/hr. 2.5 months pay for me, after taxes, is roughly $4200. take out my rent, cable, phone, utilties, and existing debt payments, I have about $200 a month to spend and/or save. It's not easy for everyone. Like daisy said.....you don't know their circumstances.

endearing66 says thanks to reeves for this post.

daisy likes this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 03:56 PM   #58
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:

Okay, you're really beginning to get on my nerves. You obviously don't know anything about the person who posted this thread or any of the troubles that a lot of students go through.

My parents don't make a lot of money at all and my family is struggling like hell to put me through university. You think it's easy? No. So please, just stop.

daisy, endearing66 all say thanks to feonateresa for this post.

aziz917, niteskie, sew12 like this.
Old 07-13-2009 at 04:05 PM   #59
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yeah that person's point of view is very narrow minded.

People really need stop assuming they know about other people's life circumstances. Not everyone has the same abilities and opportunities.

This person posted a thread because despite the large sum of money they are receiving from OSAP they still cannot afford to pay their fees for this year (because of the 60/40 split, they also do not wan to incur interest charges). Obviously their is a reason for this and just assuming they don't have a job, didn't work in highschool etc is rude and it makes you look like a jackass quite frankly.

Everyone's situation is different and there could be a variety of reasons why people can't afford to pay their fees despite getting OSAP assistance.

Despite the shitty economic times now where it is extremely difficult to get jobs who says they were able to work during high school? Not everyone could work or maybe they wanted to devote all their time to their studies to get into the University program of their choice.

Don't make assumptions. If you don't have any advice for someone when you open a thread don't post just to rag on them or post obvious suggestions. That's not what they came here for. If you don't like what you read in a thread don't reply to it, it's that simple.

endearing66, feonateresa all say thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 04:19 PM   #60
zango
Elite Member

if they have a job then why dont they say so.