MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you pick up your osap do you get all the amount including QEII scholarship? memyselfandi Financial Aid 6 08-24-2010 10:53 AM
OSAP loan amount smiles Financial Aid 1 07-09-2010 10:35 PM
Amount of OSAP mesopotamia Financial Aid 3 06-28-2010 06:10 PM
Summer OSAP amount mcmaster0812 Financial Aid 0 06-23-2010 07:34 PM
Summer School OSAP amount? goldfish101 Academics 2 04-13-2010 02:57 PM

OSAP amount!!..help!1 any1 got more than $11,700 ??

Old 07-13-2009 at 08:22 PM   #76
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't know about QEII. Only a handful of people get that thing.

Can you tell that I'm cheesed I didn't get it last year? Well I am. The guidance counsellors were like, "Omg apply by this date or you won't be eligible for QEII, it's really important!!" Psht.
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:26 PM   #77
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Does anyone know why OSAP is released in a 60/40 divide as opposed to 50/50? Its not like you necessarily have fewer classes second semester or something...
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:31 PM   #78
feonateresa
Elite Member

Maybe because most students likely pay for tuition in first semester which can be a good chunk of money.
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:31 PM   #79
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Does anyone know why OSAP is released in a 60/40 divide as opposed to 50/50? Its not like you necessarily have fewer classes second semester or something...
because your tuition bill comes in first semester.
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:31 PM   #80
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I tried to google an answer for you, but came up blank. So instead, I'll tell you why I *think* they do it that way. I think it's a balance between ensuring that the student only gets the money if they continue going to school (hence not getting all 100% at once), but also being considerate of the fact that many students cannot afford to go to school.

So they give you 60% to help you pad down your tuition to avoid interest, while make sure that you don't just take all the OSAP and not continue at school.

Just my thought!
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:34 PM   #81
feonateresa
Elite Member

Oh that's true. Yeah, I think a lot of students who have not quite .. matured in terms of money yet, might go a little crazy if they're given all that money at once. I know I'd feel tempted to go on a trip to the mall. :]

One of my teachers in highschool, who went to Mac, told us stories about how his friends would spend all their OSAP money on like big flat screen TVs and other random stuff they didn't need, totally bit them in the ass though.
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:34 PM   #82
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

That makes sense. Thanks for taking the trouble to try to Google it, lol.
Old 07-14-2009 at 12:48 PM   #83
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

k fine, if the OP wants sympathy and help with their situation, let them explain it more...
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:08 PM   #84
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
k fine, if the OP wants sympathy and help with their situation, let them explain it more...
I'm sorry last time I checked this was a forum to share and discuss student life and issues and ask for help from peers.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:12 PM   #85
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
If your idea of help is putting people down, then I'm not sure what your use is on this forum.

Anyway, I think we've sufficiently helped the OP, so you don't need to worry yourself too much zango.

Moving on.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:34 PM   #86
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
If your idea of help is putting people down, then I'm not sure what your use is on this forum.

Anyway, I think we've sufficiently helped the OP, so you don't need to worry yourself too much zango.

Moving on.
How have you helped them?

By babying them and telling them everything will be okay?

You tell me I don't know their situation, are you suggesting you do? Because if so, I'm begging please share.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:44 PM   #87
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
How have you helped them?

By babying them and telling them everything will be okay?

You tell me I don't know their situation, are you suggesting you do? Because if so, I'm begging please share.
With every post you prove yourself to be more and more of an insensitive jackass, but I guess every society needs one of those.

No one is telling them everything will be okay, they're offering suggestions and unlike you NOT making assumptions about the OP.

No one knows the full situation of anyone who posts here unless they know them personally. People just offer advice and guidance based on the information provided when a question is asked.

Just because you are obviously able to afford University in your situation doesn't mean everyone else is. Being rude to them and offering them unhelpful and obvious suggestions like "get a job, duh" isn't very helpful or called for.

You clearly aren't interested in helping your peers so I'm not entirely sure why you bother posting here.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:46 PM   #88
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Zango, I do hope that your university education helps you learn a great deal more than what you will learn from your text books and lecture materials; it seems that you have much to learn Grasshopper

(may I suggest that you do it without bullying others in an internet forum on which it seems to be customary to ask for and offer assistance?)

Last edited by daisy : 07-14-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:57 PM   #89
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I sorta agree with Zango.

OP is clearly upset that he doesn't have enough money. But this is something he should've thought about BEFORE. rather than two months before he starts school.

But Zango suggesting working to help pay for school is not exactly correct. This is because the more you work, the less OSAP you get (probably not 1:1, but close).
So if you save up 3000 from working, your OSAP can go down as much as 3000.

I do agree with him that daisy, sew and feonateresa aren't really helping either. They're just getting upset over zango's posts.

I actually don't even know what this thread is about anymore...
Old 07-14-2009 at 02:35 PM   #90
zango
Elite Member

lol definitely not about helping the OP since they refuse to post anymore apparently...

but seriously...

my grandparents came to this country with the clothes they were wearing that day and whatever money they had in their pockets and nothing else.

they lived with my grandfathers sister in a room where they kept their rabbits.

dont ****ing tell me shit about not knowing a situation and making me feel like im obligated to feel bad for someone.

we live in a country where if you need help you can get whatever the hell you want.

the government throws me over $500 a year for sitting on my ass, if you don't apply for tax returns, your missing out.

call me an insensitive jackass, but your the person you tells the patient in intensive care theyre going to make it through everything, and im the person who actually makes that happen. (P.S. thats a metaphor)

honestly, no one here has helped the OP, maybe if they posted more details it would be easier to.

you say im making assumptions, as you make the exact opposite ones.

and im not fighting with anyone, just proving my point. get over it.

Last edited by zango : 07-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.