MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sending payments to mac Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-24-2010 11:17 PM
Question about payments Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-23-2010 06:38 PM
Tuition Fees and Possible Tuition Reduction due to Headstart/LEAP MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-10-2010 09:07 PM
Tuition Payments Charbs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2009 12:30 AM
Reminders - Residence labels, Tuition Payments ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-01-2008 04:20 AM

OSAP covering payments for September tuition

Old 08-24-2009 at 09:32 AM   #31
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
I am new to Canada and have applied for OSAP. I have a bank account with a debit card and that's it.

I didn't apply for a cheque book so the debit card is all I have. I know that we need to bring a void cheque / banking info
but all I have are the monthly statements that they send through the mail and the debit card. What should I bring or tell Mac then? Will the monthly statements act as bank info?
You don't need banking information. I've never brought it to my second OSAP release (the one where I pick up the extra money they don't release in September) and they just ask for your address so they can mail the cheque to you. If the school is taking all of your OSAP or you don't desperately need the money for about a month, just don't worry about it and tell them to mail the cheque to you.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:17 AM   #32
athmi100

Liked: 3 Times

Arrrrghhh I can't take this anymore. I still haven't recieved my student's card and when I call the registars office they tell me they sent it more than three weeks ago!! I can't cover my tution fees without my OSAP by the 1st, (I don't even know if I cover cover it with my OSAP). I really don't know what to do anymore
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:23 AM   #33
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
Arrrrghhh I can't take this anymore. I still haven't recieved my student's card and when I call the registars office they tell me they sent it more than three weeks ago!! I can't cover my tution fees without my OSAP by the 1st, (I don't even know if I cover cover it with my OSAP). I really don't know what to do anymore
Are you away from the campus? If it's possible, drop by the campus and talk to them directly... they can print a student card for you right there if it's necessary.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:29 AM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
First of all, look at your payment agreement. The amount you need to pay by Sept 1st is the "Balance Forward".

If you checked off OSAP in your payment agreement, the first pick up is already deducted from your tuition. You don't have to pick up OSAP before the 1st, you can pick it up any time during the first OSAP release (there is no last day yet).
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:34 AM   #35
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time

if my negotiable date is Sep 10, 2009 what exactly does that mean?

it says on my osap thingy:
* This loan instalment cannot be released until after the negotiable date. If you are attending an institution in Canada, you cannot pick up your loan document until that date. If you are attending an institution outside Canada and you have already received your loan document in the mail, you cannot negotiate it until that date.

does this mean i cant even pick up my osap until after sept 10?
also if that is the case will i get stuck having to pay my tuition by myself without osap?
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:39 AM   #36
mickvicky

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, don't worry about the negotiable date. I called the Financial Office today (I have the same negotiable date) and it only means that you will get the funds deposited in your bank account on that day. But however much $$ of OSAP is going to your tuition is directly deposited into your McMaster account. So you won't have to pay any interest or anything even if your negotiable date is later.
Oh, and you don't have to wait until September 10th to pick up your OSAP. I know that I can go as early as Wednesday, just check your Mac e-mail and they sent something saying when you can go and pick up your funds. If you aren't sure you can call them (the wait is a bit long) or send an email.

jordanrogers says thanks to mickvicky for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:40 AM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickvicky View Post
Hey, don't worry about the negotiable date. I called the Financial Office today (I have the same negotiable date) and it only means that you will get the funds deposited in your bank account on that day. But however much $$ of OSAP is going to your tuition is directly deposited into your McMaster account. So you won't have to pay any interest or anything even if your negotiable date is later.
Oh, and you don't have to wait until September 10th to pick up your OSAP. I know that I can go as early as Wednesday, just check your Mac e-mail and they sent something saying when you can go and pick up your funds. If you aren't sure you can call them (the wait is a bit long) or send an email.
Here's the information:

Quote:
Loans issued by August 16th are ready for pick up on or after August 24th

Loans issued by August 23rd are ready for pick up on or after August 31st

Loans issued by August 30th are ready for pick up on or after September 8th

Loans issued by September 6th are ready for pick up on or after September 14th

jordanrogers says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-24-2009
jdia
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:13 AM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdia View Post
when can we apply for the McMaster Bursary ??? :S
It's on MUGSI but you can't apply right now.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:14 AM   #39
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

September 15th - January 15th is when you can apply for the bursary.

http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/bursary/macbur.html
Old 08-24-2009
jdia
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-29-2009 at 01:28 AM   #40
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
If you don't have a void cheque, just bring your banking info. This means your branch number, your transit number, your account number.

Additionally, if you have a chequing account... at least at my bank (RBC), you can ask for a "couple" of emergency cheques. They are blanks (area for your name, etc. is lines you fill in yourself) and they put the cheques in a machine that stamps the account information across the bottom just like normal cheques. My bank usually gives about 3 of them and they're just as good as a "regular" cheque.
Old 09-04-2009 at 04:27 PM   #41
goldfish101

Liked: 19 Times

Hello! I was granted a total of 6400 dollars in McMaster Scholarships (Queen Eliz. and the entrance scholarship). However, when I went to check my payment agreement today, it says that my McMaster Scholarship was $5835 (my tuition cost) instead of the 6400. Will I still get the remaining of the money even though my tuition is covered?

-Thank you.
Old 09-04-2009 at 04:34 PM   #42
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish101 View Post
Hello! I was granted a total of 6400 dollars in McMaster Scholarships (Queen Eliz. and the entrance scholarship). However, when I went to check my payment agreement today, it says that my McMaster Scholarship was $5835 (my tuition cost) instead of the 6400. Will I still get the remaining of the money even though my tuition is covered?

-Thank you.

Yup. The amount that they write in is the amount that they'll be deducting from whatever payment you choose. If you had OSAP they'd only be deducting the amount you need to pay tuition, the rest would be going into your account. I'm not sure if you get a cheque mailed to you or if you can choose to direct deposit it since my scholarship has never covered my entire tuition.

goldfish101 says thanks to Duarch for this post.
Old 09-04-2009 at 04:39 PM   #43
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
Yup. The amount that they write in is the amount that they'll be deducting from whatever payment you choose. If you had OSAP they'd only be deducting the amount you need to pay tuition, the rest would be going into your account. I'm not sure if you get a cheque mailed to you or if you can choose to direct deposit it since my scholarship has never covered my entire tuition.
You'll get a cheque mailed to you, I don't know when they do that though. You can call to ask though.

If you check your Account Statement, you should have no payment agreement balance and you should have a negative amount in your Student Account Balance.

goldfish101 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.