MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
osap..help? yanj24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-29-2010 11:54 AM
OSAP and Flex OSAP Plan HELP! knguyens2 Financial Aid 4 08-23-2010 09:40 AM
OSAP help? jochanny Financial Aid 3 08-13-2010 08:37 PM
HELP! how do i use OSAP?!? 0t10 Financial Aid 4 07-15-2010 01:22 PM

OSAP HELP plz!!!

Old 07-11-2011 at 02:39 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

OSAP HELP plz!!!
I am currently working on my OSAP application. When I started the application it said that I was in the Honours Life Sciences program in year 2. However, for my second year at mcmaster, I am on academic probation so I am currently in Bsc. Sciences. When I restarted
the OSAP application since the honours life sciences information was incorrect, I had to indicate that I am enrolled in the SCIENCES program. But the option does not seem to be under the list of programs for McMaster. I do not know if whether I am mistaken (as in I type in some other search word) or if there is some other way to show on the application that I am on academic probation or would I simply keep the Honours Life Sciences year 2
option.
Also, is there someone else I can contact for more details. I've already contacted Tracey Gammont but am waiting for a reply.

Thank you for your help.

Old 07-11-2011 at 02:42 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I am currently working on my OSAP application. When I started the application it said that I was in the Honours Life Sciences program in year 2. However, for my second year at mcmaster, I am on academic probation so I am currently in Bsc. Sciences. When I restarted
the OSAP application since the honours life sciences information was incorrect, I had to indicate that I am enrolled in the SCIENCES program. But the option does not seem to be under the list of programs for McMaster. I do not know if whether I am mistaken (as in I type in some other search word) or if there is some other way to show on the application that I am on academic probation or would I simply keep the Honours Life Sciences year 2
option.
Also, is there someone else I can contact for more details. I've already contacted Tracey Gammont but am waiting for a reply.

Thank you for your help.

sfas.mcmaster.ca

They deal with OSAP stuff so they can probably help. By the way, if you can you should always call.
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:06 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Here's all the SFAS contact info: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/office.html
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:26 PM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Actually, i just wouldnt worry about it if i were you.
OSAP has gotten my program wrong every year for the last 2 years.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:17 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

There should be an option to manually type in your program name, because that's what I did.
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:33 PM   #6
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Yeah as herBs said, there should be an option there allowing you to type in your program name if you can't find it on the list.
Old 07-11-2011 at 04:37 PM   #7
luna

I see that option but it says OSAP might not accept the program. Also, do I need to appeal for OSAP since I'm on academic probation. How is that done? I see some appeal links on the sfas website but I'm not sure if I need to send those papers
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:04 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I see that option but it says OSAP might not accept the program. Also, do I need to appeal for OSAP since I'm on academic probation. How is that done? I see some appeal links on the sfas website but I'm not sure if I need to send those papers
When you manually type in the program name, OSAP has to contact McMaster and request all the information (Tuition cost, book cost, etc...) It just takes longer for you to get your estimate.

As for your questions, you should talk to a financial advisors at sfas. Website is sfas.mcmaster.ca
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:30 PM   #9
luna

so the financial advisor said I should select SCIENCE from drop down menu but since there was no science in the drop down menu than I just manually put it in. However, at the end of the application osap asked me for my tuiton, compulsory fees, book fees and I gave the info from my payment agreement (book fees was an estimate) and they gave me the estimate for the osap. I'm sure the estimate will change when they ask the university for the exact values.
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:30 PM   #10
luna

thank u to those who helped!!
Old 07-11-2011 at 06:16 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When you manually type in the program name, OSAP has to contact McMaster and request all the information (Tuition cost, book cost, etc...) It just takes longer for you to get your estimate.

As for your questions, you should talk to a financial advisors at sfas. Website is sfas.mcmaster.ca
My program wasn't on the list, but I still got an estimate after I filled out the application.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:03 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
so the financial advisor said I should select SCIENCE from drop down menu but since there was no science in the drop down menu than I just manually put it in. However, at the end of the application osap asked me for my tuiton, compulsory fees, book fees and I gave the info from my payment agreement (book fees was an estimate) and they gave me the estimate for the osap. I'm sure the estimate will change when they ask the university for the exact values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
My program wasn't on the list, but I still got an estimate after I filled out the application.
The estimate you get immediately after applying to OSAP is a very rough estimate. I don't remember if they give another estimate before confirming your entitlement (I thought they did because I once had an estimate which was different from my initial estimate show up in my payment agreement, then I got an e-mail from OSAP saying my status was updated which changed my estimate to the actual entitlement... although it was the same number).
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:44 PM   #13
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The estimate you get immediately after applying to OSAP is a very rough estimate. I don't remember if they give another estimate before confirming your entitlement (I thought they did because I once had an estimate which was different from my initial estimate show up in my payment agreement, then I got an e-mail from OSAP saying my status was updated which changed my estimate to the actual entitlement... although it was the same number).
Yeah the estimate is as its named, an estimate. Probably crunches some numbers to give you a rough idea. Though I think the only thing that can change it is the income review and in the PA it says check by August 15th, which means by then you'll get the exact amount OSAP can give you.

Edit: removed an emote that I have no idea how it got there...
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:52 PM   #14
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

haha you might wanna make sure that your program and stuff is correct on OSAP; a friend of mine thought it was all good and then he didn't get any money and it took him forever to get it fixed
Old 07-13-2011 at 04:56 PM   #15
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I have a similar issue as the OP. I'm going into Honours Social Psychology for second year and all it has listed as my program is Social Science level 2, should I go ahead and just change it to my actual program name?

Thanks in advance!