MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP and RESP Ever General Discussion 11 07-04-2012 08:00 PM
Resp AmyLia Financial Aid 2 05-28-2011 08:43 PM
Resp njd123 Financial Aid 2 08-05-2010 11:54 AM
RESP issues Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-27-2008 02:03 PM
RESP/Savings... [email protected] General Discussion 4 08-17-2008 11:34 PM

osap/resp

Old 07-03-2012 at 09:53 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

osap/resp
I had a question about OSAP and RESP; I'm going into second year and have...a significant amount in my RESP account, but in my OSAP application I wrote I had a lot less. The reason is that I want to keep my RESP for the future, for grad/professional school and not use it up now (since the application asked me how much I intended to use THIS year).
A: how much would OSAP penalize me for technically being dishonest on my OSAP application.
B: If I were to write the full amount of RESP in next year's OSAP application (ie. for the 2013/14 school year), would I get in trouble?

thanks for any advice
Old 07-03-2012 at 09:58 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
I had a question about OSAP and RESP; I'm going into second year and have...a significant amount in my RESP account, but in my OSAP application I wrote I had a lot less. The reason is that I want to keep my RESP for the future, for grad/professional school and not use it up now (since the application asked me how much I intended to use THIS year).
A: how much would OSAP penalize me for technically being dishonest on my OSAP application.
B: If I were to write the full amount of RESP in next year's OSAP application (ie. for the 2013/14 school year), would I get in trouble?

thanks for any advice
It states that you are to put how much RESP you will be withdrawing this year, not the total amount.
Old 07-03-2012 at 11:00 PM   #3
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It states that you are to put how much RESP you will be withdrawing this year, not the total amount.
So they won't penalize me for not stating how much RESP I have in total?
Old 07-03-2012 at 11:04 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
So they won't penalize me for not stating how much RESP I have in total?
No, only if you withdraw more than you told them you would in which case you would have to fill out a form to amend your application once you know you are going to withdraw more than you said.
Old 07-10-2012 at 02:24 PM   #5
drpatel

sweet, thanks
Old 07-10-2012 at 02:37 PM   #6
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

You know how there is a section of "other assets" - is that where you are supposed to state everything else you have? like the total in my savings account?

I have never stated the amount of money I have, because I don't want them to assume I'm using it for school - I'm not, its my life savings that I don't touch!

Is that wrong of me?
Old 07-10-2012 at 03:24 PM   #7
drpatel

I don't know about that...you may want to inquire about that in the event that they do indeed take offence at x amount saved vs. x amount given as loan. I'd look into it if I were you
Old 07-10-2012 at 03:43 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely would contact SFAS about it. If you don't report the right asset and the government finds out then you would have to repay a certain amount of your loan right away and you may not be eligible for further funding.
Old 07-10-2012 at 05:07 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
You know how there is a section of "other assets" - is that where you are supposed to state everything else you have? like the total in my savings account?

I have never stated the amount of money I have, because I don't want them to assume I'm using it for school - I'm not, its my life savings that I don't touch!

Is that wrong of me?
I stated the amount of money in my bank accounts, less the income that I already told them I had made for the year. I don't think they assume all of the money is for school, and as Jeremy said, there are pretty serious consequences for lying on your application.
Old 07-11-2012 at 08:32 PM   #10
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I stated the amount of money in my bank accounts, less the income that I already told them I had made for the year. I don't think they assume all of the money is for school, and as Jeremy said, there are pretty serious consequences for lying on your application.
Sooo going back to my original question-I have X amount of RESP in my account (well technically, my dad's account) but I did not declare any of it on the actual OSAP application since I don't plan on using it this year; I'm saving it up for grad school, where OSAP will be given...less.
anything wrong with my plan here? any gaping holes?
Old 07-11-2012 at 08:35 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Sooo going back to my original question-I have X amount of RESP in my account (well technically, my dad's account) but I did not declare any of it on the actual OSAP application since I don't plan on using it this year; I'm saving it up for grad school, where OSAP will be given...less.
anything wrong with my plan here? any gaping holes?
Nope. You're good.