How much are library fines? HeatherH General Discussion 6 12-02-2008 11:50 AM

OUTRAGEOUS fines

Old 12-21-2010 at 12:13 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
He somehow got on the topic of the fine for violation of quiet hours. Seeing as this is a topic entitled "OUTRAGEOUS fines" it's not to hard to understand the how he might draw the connection.
1) I generally don't read shit unless it's in direct relation to me, hence why I missed it 'cause it didn't really answer my question of this being a joke or not.
2) I totally see where it says "let's discuss all the outrageous fines!" Pretty sure it says is this forrallz.

inb4 umad

'cause the answer is yep!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 12-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2010 at 12:14 PM   #17
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I am proud that no one made an over 9000 joke yet...

arathbon, resh.jyoti like this.
Old 12-21-2010 at 12:14 PM   #18
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Thought this would be about a parking ticket....
Old 12-21-2010 at 12:15 PM   #19
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I am proud that no one made an over 9000 joke yet...
We don't need to. She already had it on her sig.
Old 12-21-2010 at 01:15 PM   #20
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

talking about fines,

Very recently, I have had 2 fines from the campus health centre, each $30. Both of them for being 5 mins late. Are you f*cking kidding me? Can the doctors not just f*cking take me in? Big deal only 5mins were gone. Ludicrous.

McMaster really loves to loot its students as much as they can.

Last edited by maclover : 12-21-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2010 at 01:35 PM   #21
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
talking about fines,

Very recently, I have had 2 fines from the campus health centre, each $30. Both of them for being 5 mins late. Are you f*cking kidding me? Can the doctors not just f*cking take me in? Big deal only 5mins were gone. Ludicrous.

Ironic username?

Old 12-21-2010 at 01:39 PM   #22
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I spill chocolate milk over 2 books, and returned them a month late or so and still they didn't charge me a single cent!
Old 12-21-2010 at 02:09 PM   #23
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
talking about fines,

if someone is late they probably assume they aren't coming and the doctor goes does something else, they don't know how late you're going to be. i would think that after the first 30$ fine you would learn to leave a few minutes early so you make it to your appointment on time...
Old 12-21-2010 at 02:12 PM   #24
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post

I have a roommate who has locked himself out at least 57 times (I have a tally going for for fun of it). I also found out though him that if you don't return the lockout keys promptly they send maintenance to replace your lock at a $200 fine. Since we're in apartment style that's 2 locks for him. This totals at a minimum of $1,436 for my roommate to have the university lend him 2 keys and switch out locks they already had extras for.
does he like wasting money, or is he just really stupid?
Old 12-21-2010 at 02:21 PM   #25
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

i think everyone just needs to settle down and relax and smile
Old 12-21-2010 at 02:41 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbaby07 View Post
i think everyone just needs to settle down and relax and smile
That's not always possible.. Especially with a stupid exam in 4 hours :@:@
Old 12-21-2010 at 03:12 PM   #27
maclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Ironic username?
Don't get me wrong here. I love mac for the quality of education it offers but hate how hungry it is for money in areas such as pricey fines, pricey food, pricey clothing, etc. I mean I am ready to pay whatever crazy amount of tuition fees but mac could try and lower other costs you know.

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 12-21-2010 at 03:16 PM   #28
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The library also has "long overdue" fines. I don't know the exact number of days, but if you take too long to return a book (that HASN'T been recalled), you get charged $74. No warning on when the "long overdue" day is, no emails, etc. Just a $74 charge.

I found this out because I went to take out a book while I already had one signed out, and the librarian said "You better go online and renew that book ASAP, or you'll be charged $74 for a long overdue fine". I don't think I had the book out for more than a month
Old 12-21-2010 at 03:18 PM   #29
maclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
if someone is late they probably assume they aren't coming and the doctor goes does something else, they don't know how late you're going to be. i would think that after the first 30$ fine you would learn to leave a few minutes early so you make it to your appointment on time...
I had a legit excuse of being early and the bus not coming on time for the 2nd appt.. I agree on being punctual but common 5 mins should not be enough to decide if a person is not gonna come.. maybe 10 mins, 15 mins seems fair. They can be a bit lenient rite. It justs gives me the impression that they are working for the money, not for the wellness of the patient.
Old 12-21-2010 at 03:39 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I had a legit excuse of being early and the bus not coming on time for the 2nd appt.. I agree on being punctual but common 5 mins should not be enough to decide if a person is not gonna come.. maybe 10 mins, 15 mins seems fair. They can be a bit lenient rite. It justs gives me the impression that they are working for the money, not for the wellness of the patient.
I agree, 5 minutes is a little ridiculous. People's clocks can easily be 5 minutes apart. 10 or 15 minutes is much more reasonable.

maclover says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.