Overdue library fines... R.L. Financial Aid 8 12-18-2009 03:01 PM
How much are library fines? HeatherH General Discussion 6 12-02-2008 11:50 AM

OUTRAGEOUS fines

Old 12-21-2010 at 03:58 PM   #31
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
I had a legit excuse of being early and the bus not coming on time for the 2nd appt.. I agree on being punctual but common 5 mins should not be enough to decide if a person is not gonna come.. maybe 10 mins, 15 mins seems fair. They can be a bit lenient rite. It justs gives me the impression that they are working for the money, not for the wellness of the patient.
i guess 5 minutes might seem excessive, but they probably have a ton of people who don't show or try to cancel at the last minute. also if they had a 10 minute policy it would only take 6 late people to waste an hour of the doctors time, which would probably add up to a lot over the course of a year.
Old 12-21-2010 at 03:59 PM   #32
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I'm always 20 minutes early for everything (except classes), I cannot sympathize.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-21-2010 at 04:19 PM   #33
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree, 5 minutes is a little ridiculous. People's clocks can easily be 5 minutes apart. 10 or 15 minutes is much more reasonable.
you know whats funny.. the clock in the campus health centre is actually like 3-4 mins faster than all the other clocks on campus. prolly done on purpose to trap more innocent students.

check it out next time you go there
Old 12-21-2010 at 05:07 PM   #34
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's not always possible.. Especially with a stupid exam in 4 hours :@:@
Hey! It's the last one

@Topic: contact someone (the registrar's office? MSU?), you have my support.
Old 12-21-2010 at 05:58 PM   #35
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
The library also has "long overdue" fines. I don't know the exact number of days, but if you take too long to return a book (that HASN'T been recalled), you get charged $74. No warning on when the "long overdue" day is, no emails, etc. Just a $74 charge.

I found this out because I went to take out a book while I already had one signed out, and the librarian said "You better go online and renew that book ASAP, or you'll be charged $74 for a long overdue fine". I don't think I had the book out for more than a month
I get emails periodically telling me that i need to renew something that is long overdue. I go on the library website and its done in about a minute.
Old 12-21-2010 at 06:36 PM   #36
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
talking about fines,

Very recently, I have had 2 fines from the campus health centre, each $30. Both of them for being 5 mins late. Are you f*cking kidding me? Can the doctors not just f*cking take me in? Big deal only 5mins were gone. Ludicrous.

McMaster really loves to loot its students as much as they can.

If you are late for doctor you pay $30 fine. If the doctor is late for you (90% chance) than you can't so shit.

World is messed up.
Old 12-21-2010 at 07:08 PM   #37
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I get emails periodically telling me that i need to renew something that is long overdue. I go on the library website and its done in about a minute.
Really? The only emails I get from the library are if my books have been recalled. The librarian seemed pretty urgent that I renew it that day, so I assume the long overdue date had to be coming up soon.
Old 12-21-2010 at 07:16 PM   #38
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here. I love mac for the quality of education it offers but hate how hungry it is for money in areas such as pricey fines, pricey food, pricey clothing, etc. I mean I am ready to pay whatever crazy amount of tuition fees but mac could try and lower other costs you know.
I'm sure Mac is no different from other universities...What university wouldn't want the most amount of money possible for research..?
Old 12-21-2010 at 08:07 PM   #39
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoko View Post
I'm sure Mac is no different from other universities...What university wouldn't want the most amount of money possible for research..?
There are much better other ways to raise money for research than to make students pay outrageous fines. I am pretty sure if you were on the receiving end of an outrageous fine, you would think otherwise.
Old 12-21-2010 at 08:27 PM   #40
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

at least this isnt britain yet

crazyfree, Ownaginatios like this.
Old 12-21-2010 at 08:46 PM   #41
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I have a roommate who has locked himself out at least 57 times (I have a tally going for for fun of it). I also found out though him that if you don't return the lockout keys promptly they send maintenance to replace your lock at a $200 fine. Since we're in apartment style that's 2 locks for him. This totals at a minimum of $1,436 for my roommate to have the university lend him 2 keys and switch out locks they already had extras for.
57? Your roommate is an idiot.
Old 12-21-2010 at 08:57 PM   #42
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i was just checking on moveout date for res and i noticed there might be replacement charges. WTF 15 BUCKS FOR ONE INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULB?
Old 12-21-2010 at 10:02 PM   #43
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

that's kinda intense lol
Old 12-21-2010 at 10:54 PM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
57? Your roommate is an idiot.