MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overloading Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-26-2010 01:17 PM
Overloading Courses Goce Academics 4 01-05-2010 11:10 PM
Requirement for Overloading PTGregD Academics 13 06-09-2009 11:13 AM

Overloading

Old 12-08-2009 at 08:50 PM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Overloading
I'm thinking of overloading next semester, but I have a few questions.

Is it too late in the year to ask for permission to overload in second term, should I have done it back in the summer?

For anyone who has taken extra classes, is it particularly difficult? I know it depends on the classes being taken, and a lot of other things... but generally, like if I'm not in any clubs or working is it very doable?

And if anyone has tips for this too, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks. :]
Old 12-08-2009 at 10:30 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It depends what you think "overloading" means. I've seen a lot of people get confused on this.

Overloading is when you take more courses than what is required for your degree. For example, most Soc Sci/Humanities students take 30 units per year. Most people split them up as 15 units in term one, 15 units in term two.

If you want to take more than the 30 units, then you have to ask permission. I don't know if it's too late, but there's no harm in emailing and asking. The school is open until the end of next week.

If you're still taking 30 units, but simply planning on taking 12 units in term one and 18 units in term two, you don't need to ask permission for that. I've done this (4 courses term one, and 6 courses term two), while working and volunteering, and I managed fine. I'm sure if you don't work and aren't involved in clubs, you should be able to handle it. It sucks during exam time though.
Old 12-08-2009 at 10:35 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yeah, I'm taking 15 units in both terms as of now, but I want to add a 3-unit course next term; making it 18. It seems like it would be a pain during exams... that's what I'm worried about, along with the tendency of profs to make everything due in the same week. >.>
Old 12-08-2009 at 11:00 PM   #4
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

then dont do it...why are you overloading?
Old 12-08-2009 at 11:49 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't find it that hard taking 6 courses at once. Like you said, it depends on the courses you take, but still. I think it'll be fine.
Old 12-09-2009 at 12:13 AM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Well at least you know it's possible and actually quite common if you think about it. Don't the Engineers (first year, anyway) have 37 units, so about 19 each term? My friend's in engineering, and he has 6 exams, but he still finishes before me.
Old 12-09-2009 at 06:54 AM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

We have a higher limit.

(Before the courses were combined, first years had 7 courses and 6 courses!)
Old 12-09-2009 at 07:06 AM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
then dont do it...why are you overloading?
Haha, because I'm a nerd and I can't decide between two classes that I want to take - and neither of them are usually offered in the summer.

I'll think about it though... thanks guys. :]
Old 12-09-2009 at 07:17 AM   #9
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Overloading is totally doable. I'm doing it this year, I've got 21 units this term and 19 next term and so far it's going pretty good. I've also got other stuff that I'm doing. As long as you're committed to making it work then it'll work out for you.

Old 12-09-2009 at 08:58 AM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

have you tried adding the course in MUGSI?
inb4 no you haven't
Old 12-09-2009 at 12:31 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
have you tried adding the course in MUGSI?
inb4 no you haven't
Um, no I haven't because I know it's not possible without permission.
Old 12-09-2009 at 12:54 PM   #12
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

I am taking 18 units this semester and next semester i will only have 12. During the semester it wasnt so bad-just had to organize my time a bit better.
However, i am not going to lie. Exams are killing me right now, only because of the way they were scheduled. (8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th and then 21st).
That would be my main worry if i were to take more units in one semester again-When my exams get scheduled. but i guess theres nothing really you can do about that.
good luck
Old 12-09-2009 at 03:22 PM   #13
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Um, no I haven't because I know it's not possible without permission.
derp derp
Old 12-09-2009 at 04:14 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicaaaa View Post
I am taking 18 units this semester and next semester i will only have 12. During the semester it wasnt so bad-just had to organize my time a bit better.
However, i am not going to lie. Exams are killing me right now, only because of the way they were scheduled. (8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th and then 21st).
That would be my main worry if i were to take more units in one semester again-When my exams get scheduled. but i guess theres nothing really you can do about that.
good luck
Yikes, yeah that is worrisome. Good luck with your exams though. I think I'd just about kill myself if my schedule was set up like that :/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
derp derp
In the future, please refrain from responding to any of my posts. Your responses never help, and I don't particularly like anything you ever have to say. Thank you. :]
Old 12-09-2009 at 04:30 PM   #15
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

In the future, please refrain from responding to any of my posts. Your responses never help, and I don't particularly like anything you ever have to say. Thank you. :]
no. I'm helping you the only way anyone should help you.

If you actually try adding the course and it doesn't let you, obviously you would need permission.

You could have skipped the step of making this thread if you just tried to add the course.

Now, why even make this thread in the first place?
You can just ask an academic advisor your question. it's a weekday. they're open.