MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking hon0220 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 9 03-09-2011 07:20 PM
Parking near Mac Joan Li Automotive & Transportation 0 10-24-2010 08:02 PM
Last day for parking app KuNFuZeD Automotive & Transportation 6 09-08-2010 04:30 PM
Parking?? WekSos General Discussion 2 11-22-2008 01:53 AM
Parking? SaraM General Discussion 25 07-28-2008 03:23 PM

Parking

Old 08-09-2011 at 08:10 PM   #16
Spencer

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
You must be pretty privileged to think that $360 isn't a big deal. There are plenty of ways to park for cheaper, and if one can do so (relatively) legally without racking up excessive tickets or have their car towed, I would be more inclined to say that they're the smart one, not you.

Besides, I can't afford parking, I need to fuel my V8.
Did I say 360 dollars wasn't a big deal? No, i said pay the 360 and deal with it. If you are so concerned about money take the bus or drive a more fuel efficient car not a v8. You must be pretty fortunate to pay for the gas bill on your vehicle.

Last edited by Spencer : 08-09-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:27 PM   #17
Spencer

And $360 dollars is a whole lot cheaper than staying in student housing or res.
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:17 AM   #18
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Did I say 360 dollars wasn't a big deal? No, i said pay the 360 and deal with it. If you are so concerned about money take the bus or drive a more fuel efficient car not a v8. You must be pretty fortunate to pay for the gas bill on your vehicle.
Quote:
And $360 dollars is a whole lot cheaper than staying in student housing or res.
The OP isn't the one with a V8, those are two separate people...and maybe the car was a hand-me-down, or very cheap or something, you have no idea why they drive that car.
If you're strapped for cash, free non-efficient car >>> expensive fuel efficient car.

Alternatively, if you're paying for a car (and not getting it free or super cheap) it isn't actually that much less expensive, but every little bit helps. Hence trying to save $360.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 12:58 PM   #19
Spencer

It's still cheaper to commute then to stay on res or student housing.
Old 08-10-2011 at 03:17 PM   #20
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
It's still cheaper to commute then to stay on res or student housing.

That's actually NOT necessarily true because I know it will cost me about the same because of my lack of "paid for" driving experience the insurance company says I have because I was never insured as a PT driver on a vehicle I would never be driving PT with a G1 license.

Stop trying to argue your way out of actually not having anything valuable to contribute to this thread and save yourself the embarrassment of commenting any further.
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:51 PM   #21
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I still don't understand why one would pay $360 when there are relatively legal and more cost effective ways to do the same thing.

And yes, I pay to fuel my V8. It's a choice that I work and sweat for, and I'd rather enjoy my drive. Way better than paying $360 to let it sit and rot in a parking lot. Especially in my case with mostly evening courses in ETB, I'd pay to park FURTHER instead of parking for free after 5pm on Emerson and nearby streets?

Naw man. trollface.jpg
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:32 PM   #22
Bumchoda

Opinion of someone who has gotten a Lot M Parking pass for the past 2 years: Getting a pass gave me ease of mind. Not having to worry about getting tickets, towed, hit and run (less likely imo), plus on rainy days I never had to bring an umbrella because it was a ~60 second walk to a shelter, followed by a bus, and dropped off close enough to the back of ABB that I could be inside for most of my walk to class.
Old 08-12-2011 at 12:24 AM   #23
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Yes...but I know someone who parks there regularly (like, on a daily basis). The total number of tickets she gets is still less money than it would be to pay for a parking permit on campus
I don't understand how your friend does her math. How is a $30 ticket A DAY cheaper than paying for parking? Lol
Old 08-12-2011 at 06:25 AM   #24
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
I don't understand how your friend does her math. How is a $30 ticket A DAY cheaper than paying for parking? Lol
I said she parks there daily, not that she gets a ticket daily.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:52 AM   #25
dram

Liked: 0 Times

I suggest just buying the parking pass. It's also safer for your car in the lot rather than the street.
Old 08-12-2011 at 04:15 PM   #26
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dram View Post
I suggest just buying the parking pass. It's also safer for your car in the lot rather than the street.
I've heard of more cars getting damaged from the M parking lot than I have on the streets surrounding Mac. And even though M lot has security cameras, they still can't necessarily find the person who hit your car.
Old 09-15-2011 at 05:16 PM   #27
andrea_18

Liked: 4 Times

Does anyone know how much hourly parking is? Well Go Transit is possibly on strike on Monday and I don't want to buy a parking pass or transponder or whatever because I'm convinced the strike will be resolved relatively quickly considering SOO many people use Go Transit. I already know people who want to complain haha not that it will get them anywhere.

But I'm driving to school cause I really don't live too far. Most days I'm only there for a couple hours. Only Monday is a long day but I'm a parking noob at mac. Do you enter the amount of hours in the machine and it gives you the price? You don't need a pass right? for any lot? like even Lot M? I'd be considered a visitor then... I'll be there in the morning too at 9am approximately so I'm sure I could get a spot!

Thanks!

Last edited by andrea_18 : 09-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2011 at 05:18 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_18 View Post
Does anyone know how much hourly parking is? Well Go Transit is on strike on Monday and I don't want to buy a parking pass or transponder or whatever because I'm convinced the strike will be resolved relatively quickly considering SOO many people use Go Transit. I already know people who want to complain haha not that it will get them anywhere.

But I'm driving to school cause I really don't live too far. Most days I'm only there for a couple hours. Only Monday is a long day but I'm a parking noob at mac. Do you enter the amount of hours in the machine and it gives you the price? You don't need a pass right? for any lot? like even Lot M? I'd be considered a visitor then... I'll be there in the morning too at 9am approximately so I'm sure I could get a spot!

Thanks!
http://parking.mcmaster.ca/Rates.html
Old 09-15-2011 at 07:11 PM   #29
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I still don't understand why one would pay $360 when there are relatively legal and more cost effective ways to do the same thing.
What's "relatively" legal? If you're getting tickets, you're doing something illegal.