Parking Tickets @ McMaster kenz General Discussion 17 03-25-2009 11:22 PM
Wonderland tickets - $34 Chad General Discussion 1 05-22-2008 07:47 AM

Parking Tickets

Old 08-31-2011 at 12:17 PM   #1
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Parking Tickets
Just wondering what would happen if you didn't pay parking tickets. I know that you won't be able to renew your license plate until the tickets plus fees are paid. But are the tickets attached to the car itself or owner of the car or just that particular licence plate? In other words can you get a new licence plate for that car and not pay the tickets and just throw out the old plate?

Old 08-31-2011 at 12:33 PM   #2
R633

Liked: 24 Times

When you filled out your parking application did you give your name and studnent number? If so, they will have your name attached to the ticket.
Old 08-31-2011 at 12:40 PM   #3
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R633 View Post
When you filled out your parking application did you give your name and studnent number? If so, they will have your name attached to the ticket.
This isn't for McMaster this is for Municipal parking tickets and renewing/getting a new license plate (which is a provincial affair).

Old 08-31-2011 at 12:43 PM   #4
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

The tickets are "attached" to the licence plate, which is attached to the person who it is registered to. So the tickets could always be traced back to the person who the vehicle is registered to (via license plate).
Old 08-31-2011 at 12:50 PM   #5
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
The tickets are "attached" to the licence plate, which is attached to the person who it is registered to. So the tickets could always be traced back to the person who the vehicle is registered to (via license plate).
Ya I understand that. But the fact that what's recorded is the license plate means that the ticket is for that vehicle not necessarily the registered owner because other people (including family members of the registered owner) can use the vehicle. So they don't know who was driving it and made the infraction. So legally there might be an issue there trying to go after the registered owner, I'm not sure.

Old 08-31-2011 at 12:58 PM   #6
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Ya I understand that. But the fact that what's recorded is the license plate means that the ticket is for that vehicle not necessarily the registered owner because other people (including family members of the registered owner) can use the vehicle. So they don't know who was driving it and made the infraction. So legally there might be an issue there trying to go after the registered owner, I'm not sure.
My cousin works for the DMV. The ticket is tied to the license plate, which is tied to the registered owner. The registered owner is responsible for the tickets. If he/she was not the one driving then they may have to go to small claims court and sue the responsible party. If you do decide to get another license plate if the tickets are overdue they will not let you get a new license plate. Pay the tickets off asap, I'm pretty sure they have a high interest rate and the amount will continue to grow.
Old 08-31-2011 at 01:01 PM   #7
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
My cousin works for the DMV. The ticket is tied to the license plate, which is tied to the registered owner. The registered owner is responsible for the tickets. If he/she was not the one driving then they may have to go to small claims court and sue the responsible party. If you do decide to get another license plate if the tickets are overdue they will not let you get a new license plate. Pay the tickets off asap, I'm pretty sure they have a high interest rate and the amount will continue to grow.
I'm pretty sure the DMV is the American Department of Motor Vehicles and has nothing to do with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario lol. Just a typo or do they work in the United States?

Old 08-31-2011 at 01:04 PM   #8
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the DMV is the American Department of Motor Vehicles and has nothing to do with the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario lol. Just a typo or do they work in the United States?
Lol my mistake i meant the Ministry of Transportation. Selma Bouvier has corrupted my mind.
Old 08-31-2011 at 01:08 PM   #9
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Just wondering what would happen if you didn't pay parking tickets. I know that you won't be able to renew your license plate until the tickets plus fees are paid. But are the tickets attached to the car itself or owner of the car or just that particular licence plate? In other words can you get a new licence plate for that car and not pay the tickets and just throw out the old plate?
isn't the price of a license plate more than the average parking ticket fee?
breaking the law and losing money...doesn't seem very wise to me
Old 08-31-2011 at 01:11 PM   #10
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Lol my mistake i meant the Ministry of Transportation. Selma Bouvier has corrupted my mind.
Lool at least it was the simpsons and not some reality tv mumbo jumbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechrispy View Post
isn't the price of a license plate more than the average parking ticket fee?
breaking the law and losing money...doesn't seem very wise to me
Lol you're assuming it's one parking ticket :p

Old 08-31-2011 at 01:15 PM   #11
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Lool at least it was the simpsons and not some reality tv mumbo jumbo.

Lol you're assuming it's one parking ticket :p
lol, even still
you have to pay off parking tickets in like a week or two, so unless you get like 4 other parking tickets in that 1-2 week time span, you might as well just pay the parking tickets off

i know this is a hypothetical situation, but i really doubt that happens or would ever happen to you lol
Old 08-31-2011 at 01:19 PM   #12
EasternHeat
Elite Member

I'm just really pissed I went to mac for 30 mins yesterday to pay for tuition and right when I get back to my car the by-law officer was writing the ticket and as I was approaching her and trying to get her attention she finally prints the ticket right when I get to her. I was like it says I can park for an hour and it hasn't been an hour. She's like look around, see that fire hydrant. I was so shocked I didn't even see it when I was parking and the whole way the parking sign was set up and the fact the car in front of the hydrant blocked me from seeing it while i was approaching it was just horrible. Then she's like its already in the system I can't reverse it I'm sorry. And that was bs because you didn't even stop to talk to me before you printed the ticket.

/end rant

Old 08-31-2011 at 01:26 PM   #13
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
I'm just really pissed I went to mac for 30 mins yesterday to pay for tuition and right when I get back to my car the by-law officer was writing the ticket and as I was approaching her and trying to get her attention she finally prints the ticket right when I get to her. I was like it says I can park for an hour and it hasn't been an hour. She's like look around, see that fire hydrant. I was so shocked I didn't even see it when I was parking and the whole way the parking sign was set up and the fact the car in front of the hydrant blocked me from seeing it while i was approaching it was just horrible. Then she's like its already in the system I can't reverse it I'm sorry. And that was bs because you didn't even stop to talk to me before you printed the ticket.

/end rant
ignorance is not a reason ....they would say you should have surveyed your surroundings...sucks but thats the law
Old 08-31-2011 at 03:01 PM   #14
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
For parking tickets, the infraction is tied to the person under which the vehicle/plate is registered to. For offences while driving on the road like speeding and DUIs, it's tied to the driver. I think it's under the highway traffic act or some crap like that That's why they take your driver's licence when you're pulled over, and for parking tickets they don't give a damn.

I feel your pain though, I've gotten a couple myself, all in stupid situations.
Old 08-31-2011 at 03:31 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
For parking tickets, the infraction is tied to the person under which the vehicle/plate is registered to. For offences while driving on the road like speeding and DUIs, it's tied to the driver. I think it's under the highway traffic act or some crap like that That's why they take your driver's licence when you're pulled over, and for parking tickets they don't give a damn.

I feel your pain though, I've gotten a couple myself, all in stupid situations.
Yeah, I believe when the vehicle is parked it doesn't fall under the highway traffic act. The instructor at my driving school said you can just get in the car and drive away since the parking officer doesn't have jurisdiction over moving vehicles. How true this is I have no idea. Plus if they've got all the information they need for the ticket I believe they mail the ticket to you. From what I've seen in Parking Wars, you would have to pay for the postal service as well (although that's in the States).