MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Soc Sci and Humanities? Silver First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 03-19-2012 09:59 AM
The difference between... shashycookie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-25-2011 12:03 AM
difference in cultures! dhgn General Discussion 119 11-09-2010 09:45 PM
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM

People can't tell the difference between 4S & 5? LOL

Old 09-14-2012 at 05:11 PM   #16
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

The main reason I hate on apple so much is their pricing more than anything. Like a Macbook Pro cost $1000 more than my gaming desktop and my laptop combined, or the Iphone without a contract (to show their actual cost) is usually more than $200 more than the top end phone. I would hope for that premium people have fewer problems than it, but at the same time I find it a huge waste of money that if you can't understand technology, you end up paying a lot more.

I like my Android because I can customize it so much more, it is ridiculously cheap and it is very open to outside files (it can run stuff besides mp4 and I don't have to transfer with itunes).
Old 09-14-2012 at 08:28 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The main reason I hate on apple so much is their pricing more than anything. Like a Macbook Pro cost $1000 more than my gaming desktop and my laptop combined, or the Iphone without a contract (to show their actual cost) is usually more than $200 more than the top end phone. I would hope for that premium people have fewer problems than it, but at the same time I find it a huge waste of money that if you can't understand technology, you end up paying a lot more.

I like my Android because I can customize it so much more, it is ridiculously cheap and it is very open to outside files (it can run stuff besides mp4 and I don't have to transfer with itunes).
It doesn't matter what you think about their prices -- the prices they set are well-received to some portion of the customer pool, and thus they make extreme profits. Are they capitolizing on ignorance of the people who gobble them up? Sure, but they understand demandl, and market the brand extremely well.

I like Android because I can take it out the box and I have exactly the amount of customization and control I need, when I hold a Mac product I feel like its the kiddy version of a piece of technology. I don't need to jailbreak (or even flash a custom rom), its just great out of the box. The downside of course, is that its more prone to errors or slowness, but that's the cost of control.

The technology behind gadgets is becoming increasingly distanced from the user, and this aspect of smart phones and computers is a bit scary.
Old 09-14-2012 at 10:12 PM   #18
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
It doesn't matter what you think about their prices -- the prices they set are well-received to some portion of the customer pool, and thus they make extreme profits. Are they capitolizing on ignorance of the people who gobble them up? Sure, but they understand demandl, and market the brand extremely well.

I like Android because I can take it out the box and I have exactly the amount of customization and control I need, when I hold a Mac product I feel like its the kiddy version of a piece of technology. I don't need to jailbreak (or even flash a custom rom), its just great out of the box. The downside of course, is that its more prone to errors or slowness, but that's the cost of control.

The technology behind gadgets is becoming increasingly distanced from the user, and this aspect of smart phones and computers is a bit scary.
As much as I do agree, we pay a huge premium for Apple products, you have to consider 2 things. 1. Customer Service. I get customer service far better than any other laptop/phone manufacture provides from Apple. 2. 99% of Apple products have amazing resale value because Apple doesnt lower their prices.
So that means when I want to upgrade I pay hardly a fraction once I sell my older device. Heck, there are even Macs with Power PC processors selling for 200+. The moment you buy a regular PC the chances of you being able to resell for a decent value is very slim.

As for the OS, yes No doubt Android has plenty more features and is a lot more customizable but not everyone wants that. It is all about preference, you cant have everything. I am glad you were down to earth enough to admit that the negative of all that freedom is the errors and little bit of lag. It simply puts me off when people assume I am technologically handicapped when I tell them I use Apple products, when I know that I can do more then they can ever dream of on a windows or mac machine.

Slightly on topic, like I said earlier. These videos are simply made because it is easy to target Apple consumers. I can assure you there are plenty of Android users that don't know 90% of the features or the difference between phones.

Andrew A, RyanC, starfish, Yogurt like this.
Old 09-14-2012 at 11:18 PM   #19
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I want to upgrade I pay hardly a fraction once I sell my older device

You want to sell your old device? Who wants to buy it if new one costs almost the same? You make no sense.

Also noone but crazy mac fans will buy a 10 year old hardware for the more than 50% of its price.

Also, good PC hardware even old, is pretty hard to find cheap, I should know, my high-end mobo got fried and it was a hell of a trip to find a replacement of the same quality and still being able to buy textbooks.

1. Customer Service.

Well, you might be right about the Geniuses. But otherwise, the customer service is nothing special, there are plenty of positive and negative reviews on apple tech support.

you cant have everything

Yeah you can, if you got a bottomless bag-o-money.

It simply puts me off when people assume I am technologically handicapped when I tell them I use Apple products, when I know that I can do more then they can ever dream of on a windows or mac machine.

We all are. Times when you had to know system architecture and compilation just to do some basic work were gone for a long time. It is the side effect of the attempt to simplify operation and increase market size. Can't do anything about it.
Old 09-14-2012 at 11:51 PM   #20
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
I want to upgrade I pay hardly a fraction once I sell my older device

You want to sell your old device? Who wants to buy it if new one costs almost the same? You make no sense.

Also noone but crazy mac fans will buy a 10 year old hardware for the more than 50% of its price.

Also, good PC hardware even old, is pretty hard to find cheap, I should know, my high-end mobo got fried and it was a hell of a trip to find a replacement of the same quality and still being able to buy textbooks.

1. Customer Service.

Well, you might be right about the Geniuses. But otherwise, the customer service is nothing special, there are plenty of positive and negative reviews on apple tech support.

you cant have everything

Yeah you can, if you got a bottomless bag-o-money.

It simply puts me off when people assume I am technologically handicapped when I tell them I use Apple products, when I know that I can do more then they can ever dream of on a windows or mac machine.

We all are. Times when you had to know system architecture and compilation just to do some basic work were gone for a long time. It is the side effect of the attempt to simplify operation and increase market size. Can't do anything about it.

I said a fraction of the price not the same.

And because your high end mobo is a niche part. Not everyone goes out to buy high end mobos. The general public is made up mostly of people buying your everyday laptop/desktops

Please I had my experience with Asus and Samsung. Asus wasn't to bad but Samsung was just plain horrid.

I know someone with a bottomless bag of money, show me a phone that is flawless.
Your just being a troll now. lol
Old 09-15-2012 at 12:22 AM   #21
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I said a fraction of the price not the same.

Exactly. Hardly paying a fraction of something means paying almost nothing, now since you said after selling your old mac, that means that you assume they are worth the same. They are not, that's all I said.

And because your high end mobo is a niche part. Not everyone goes out to buy high end mobos. The general public is made up mostly of people buying your everyday laptop/desktops

I know that. I was just telling you that even old but good PC hardware can hit your wallet hard. Apple does not hold monopoly on good quality hardware.

Please I had my experience with Asus and Samsung. Asus wasn't to bad but Samsung was just plain horrid.

That's cool. Still doesn't change the thing, different people have different experiences.

I know someone with a bottomless bag of money, show me a phone that is flawless.

Nokia 3310. It does it's intended job and never breaks. I still have mine.

Your just being a troll now. lol

I'm bored.

Last edited by AngryBean : 09-15-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2012 at 01:18 PM   #22
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post

... what?! You never had to know how to compile code or know the system architecture to do anything basic. ever. Ever heard of DOS? Running WordPerfect on it didn't require either.

I dunno what you're getting at but a lot of "not technologically handicapped" people use Macs, like...umm.. programmers, or designers, or professors, just like for any other OS.

Andrew A, anonanon987, Yogurt like this.
Old 09-16-2012 at 01:46 PM   #23
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

It's hilarious to see how hard it is for people to accept that capable people also use Mac and OS X. And that they're not doing well just because people are stupid. Ever considered that maybe they're doing something right? That simplicity isn't necessarily something for stupids only?

Andrew A likes this.
Old 09-16-2012 at 04:37 PM   #24
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Feels good man.

The smart stay feature is mind shattering.
Old 09-16-2012 at 05:16 PM   #25
RyanC
Elite Member

I'd love to get a galaxy phone but I must conserve my monies wisely, otherwise I'll starve, hehe..
Old 09-16-2012 at 06:10 PM   #26
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
http://cdn4.digitaltrends.co m/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/samsung-vs-apple-ad.jpeg

Feels good man.

The smart stay feature is mind shattering.
That image neglects a lot of features that the iPhone does have which the S3 doesn't - which is expected seeing as that's a Samsung ad. Some of its points are true and valid advantages, but it pretty carefully neglects to mention anything that the iPhone might actually do better. I hope you aren't actually using that as a real comparison of the phones.

How is Smart Stay "mind shattering?" The exact same thing has existed on laptops for several years, the S3 is just the first phone where the manufacturer figured they'd bother using the front camera that way. It only actually saves you power if you have your screen timeout set longer than necessary, if you use a reasonable timeout then it won't make a difference in that aspect. So all it's really for then is keeping the screen on so long as you are looking at the phone for an extended period, outside of an application that overrides the screen timeout, such as video players. And of course it only works if you are right in front of the camera, so if you have the phone placed on a table and are reading off of it that way, it may not work. You also need to have enough lighting for the phone to be able to recognize you via the front camera. So if you're looking at a web page for more than 30 seconds or a minute or however long your screen timeout is, and don't happen to ever need to scroll within that timeframe, and are holding the phone in your hand rather than putting it down, and are in a well lit environment, then yes, Smart Stay actually achieves something. I dunno, to me it seems like that's a pretty uncommon use case, and I can't say I wish my One X had it.
Old 09-16-2012 at 06:18 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
That image neglects a lot of features that the iPhone does have which the S3 doesn't - which is expected seeing as that's a Samsung ad. Some of its points are true and valid advantages, but it pretty carefully neglects to mention anything that the iPhone might actually do better. I hope you aren't actually using that as a real comparison of the phones.
What features does the iPhone have? If you could modify that image, what would you add to the iPhone side? Also, does the iPhone 5 have flash?
Old 09-16-2012 at 06:22 PM   #28
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
... what?! You never had to know how to compile code or know the system architecture to do anything basic. ever. Ever heard of DOS? Running WordPerfect on it didn't require either.

I dunno what you're getting at but a lot of "not technologically handicapped" people use Macs, like...umm.. programmers, or designers, or professors, just like for any other OS.
Over the summer someone I went to high school with tried to argue with me that nobody in a professional software environment would ever use a Mac. At the very time I was responding to them on Facebook, I was sitting in the office where I was on my co-op placement (mobile application development, along with server software to go along with those apps if necessary), and about 95% of the computers owned by that company were MacBooks or iMacs. Most of the employees also owned their own MacBooks.

There are also many other cases where you can see Macs in other engineering and science environments. Look at the mission control room pictures from the Curiosity landing for example. I have also seen a very large number of professors here at McMaster with MacBooks, many of whom were in the Science or Engineering faculties.

It really annoys me when people try to argue that Macs are "training wheels" or only for people who don't really know how to use a computer. It's a completely false statement. Most of the people who try to argue that who I've met in person seem like they're just bandwagoning and hating on the "Apple bandwagoners" .

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-16-2012 at 06:27 PM   #29
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
What features does the iPhone have? If you could modify that image, what would you add to the iPhone side? Also, does the iPhone 5 have flash?
Flash support has been dropped as of Jelly Bean, so it's only barely valid to argue that Android has Flash support. I've never even used it on my One X.

I would add iMessage to the iPhone side, for example. Perhaps also features like iCloud syncing and backup, wireless syncing with iTunes, camera performance. I would also argue that the iPhone's build quality is superior to that of the S3. It's also thinner, which is not mentioned in the comparison. Perhaps Samsung is going to change their policy and support their phones for longer, but chances are that the iPhone 5 will continue receiving updates for longer than the S3 will. Even if that isn't true, iPhone 5 owners will all be able to download new iOS updates as soon as they are available from Apple, whereas S3 owners will need to wait for their carrier to approve the update - after adding their carrier bloatware, most likely. The alternative for the S3 is to root it and install a custom ROM, which would both allow the S3 to be updated to OS versions not officially provided by Samsung, as well as to not be stuck with the carrier bloatware, however, it also means losing the ability to receive updates OTA, so each new update would need to be done by manually flashing an updated ROM. Some of those are obviously debatably advantageous but the same can be said for many of the listed features of the S3. The 2GB of RAM spec listed for the S3 isn't even always true, it depends on which variant of the S3 you're comparing. Not every S3 variant has 4G LTE, either.
Old 09-16-2012 at 06:43 PM   #30
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

The base model MBP is, what, $1250? That's really $1000 more than both of your computers combined? Or are you specifically looking at the very most factory upgraded MacBook available? That's not a fair way to assess the price of a MacBook, seeing as most people who buy a MacBook don't buy the 15" Retina with every possible factory upgrade for $5000 or whatever the prices comes out to be.

As for the iPhone: an unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 is $800. My unlocked international version HTC One X (32GB internal memory and no expandable storage, I chose the 32GB iPhone to be the most comparable to my phone in this regard) was $640 at the time I purchased it. The iPhone 5 also has 4G LTE and my phone does not. It also has apparently better battery life. Most of the other differences between the phones are hard to decisively say are better on one or the other - of course my own preference is toward the One X, but for most of the market, I would say that the iPhone 5 is indeed a better phone, and probably worth the extra $160. If you're signing a 2 or 3 year term contact for the phones, there probably isn't even a price difference between the iPhone 5 and the One X or S3, or perhaps a difference of $10 or $20, which is really not worth arguing over. If you can afford to pay for a smartphone plan for three years, a $10 price difference up front is nothing.

Last edited by Andrew A : 09-16-2012 at 06:53 PM.