MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Soc Sci and Humanities? Silver First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 03-19-2012 09:59 AM
The difference between... shashycookie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-25-2011 12:03 AM
difference in cultures! dhgn General Discussion 119 11-09-2010 09:45 PM
Difference between 1st & 2nd year eng GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 32 10-21-2010 09:44 AM
Is there any difference between day and evening courses? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 12-29-2009 02:11 AM

People can't tell the difference between 4S & 5? LOL

Old 09-16-2012 at 09:37 PM   #46
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
EDIT: As for a PC company doing the whole "vertical integration of OS/hardware/branding" thing... well, MS with Windows 8 Surface tablets basically fits that bill, no?
Yeah its almost there.. really interested to see how this turns out. At least it will be headed there if Win8 doesn't flop horribly. What I was getting at was the tight control over development and lack of variation (seen in every game console); yeah, it fits the bill.
Old 09-16-2012 at 09:42 PM   #47
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Multitouch? I hate touch pads in general, can't wait to plug my wireless mouse in
I'm not a big fan of touchpads either, I always use a mouse when I can. But for those times when I can't use my wireless mouse, it's convenient to have a multi-touchpad.
Old 09-16-2012 at 09:42 PM   #48
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Really, almost $1000 more for a MacBook Air? The base model 13" Air is $1230. I would really like to know where to buy a $230 Ultrabook! Even the highest tier Air is $1530 before any factory upgrades... again, where do you find a $530 Ultrabook competitor to the Air?

Cheapest ultrabook not on sale is 800 bucks. Not 1000, true, but still a ton.

Did I not say several times that all those features were not adding functionality or performance? And now you want me to justify how it adds functionality? Seriously, read the post before you respond.

You didn't. So how is aluminum casing an argument here if its irrelevant?

Who ever said my MacBook Pro cost $2500? I have a 2009 base model 13" which was $1200 at the time of purchase.

No one uses 13" laptops, especially that expensive. Everyone buys 15" coz it doesnt stain your eyes as much. Now Apple.ca sells 15" inch Pros for 2200-2800, take the average, you get around 2500.

Oh, and we are talking 2012 prices, not 2009.

Which computers do you know of which do not produce heat when "loaded to the limit?"

I know computer science is not engineering, but you have to know that metal has much higher thermal conductivity than plastic. When plastic casing heats up, you have more time before it gets really uncomfortable, which is not the case with aluminum casing.

Finally, how am I being a "crazy fanboy?" I never claimed that the MacBook Pros were any better than their competition. I even pointed out and explicitly stated that they perform worse for the same price. I really do not believe you read my post, or if you did, that you understood it.

Then why are you trying justify buying a MacBook?
Old 09-16-2012 at 09:51 PM   #49
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Yo AngryBean (and Andrew A), do you really have to turn this into an argument thread? Don't you think we've had enough of those already? I can link you to a ton of old ones, if you want.
Old 09-16-2012 at 09:52 PM   #50
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
Really, almost $1000 more for a MacBook Air? The base model 13" Air is $1230. I would really like to know where to buy a $230 Ultrabook! Even the highest tier Air is $1530 before any factory upgrades... again, where do you find a $530 Ultrabook competitor to the Air?

Cheapest ultrabook not on sale is 800 bucks. Not 1000, true, but still a ton.

Did I not say several times that all those features were not adding functionality or performance? And now you want me to justify how it adds functionality? Seriously, read the post before you respond.

You didn't. So how is aluminum casing an argument here if its irrelevant?

Who ever said my MacBook Pro cost $2500? I have a 2009 base model 13" which was $1200 at the time of purchase.

No one uses 13" laptops, especially that expensive. Everyone buys 15" coz it doesnt stain your eyes as much. Now Apple.ca sells 15" inch Pros for 2200-2800, take the average, you get around 2500.

Oh, and we are talking 2012 prices, not 2009.

Which computers do you know of which do not produce heat when "loaded to the limit?"

I know computer science is not engineering, but you have to know that metal has much higher thermal conductivity than plastic. When plastic casing heats up, you have more time before it gets really uncomfortable, which is not the case with aluminum casing.

Finally, how am I being a "crazy fanboy?" I never claimed that the MacBook Pros were any better than their competition. I even pointed out and explicitly stated that they perform worse for the same price. I really do not believe you read my post, or if you did, that you understood it.

Then why are you trying justify buying a MacBook?
$400 is definitely not the same as $1000, nice try though.

I wasn't trying to say that the aluminum construction was any "better," I was just pointing out that it almost for sure does add to the cost to produce them, which is then of course handed down to the consumer. It's also a "premium" feature, which results in higher markup. It's the same as a leather interior in a car. Is that really any better than normal fabric, or even plastic mock leather? No, definitely not, but it's still nicer and still costs more.

The base model 13" is $1230 in 2012 prices, so what's your point? And I've already said, I do use a 13" laptop. So did the majority of people who used laptops at work on my co-op term this summer. From what I remember, MacBook pricing has really changed very little in the past three years anyway.

I've never had a problem with my MacBook getting uncomfortably hot in any place where I actually contact it, even with the CPU usage high for a long period of time.

How exactly does giving reasonable explanations and justifications for a purchase make me a crazy fanboy? I'm justifying it because I believe they are a nice product, even if they do cost more than many of their competitors. There are features about them that I am willing to pay for which you clearly are not. I'm sure there are products which you have purchased which I would not have purchased for myself, but that doesn't mean I'll label you a "crazy fanboy." Just someone with different preferences than mine.

Last edited by Andrew A : 09-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2012 at 10:08 PM   #51
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

3 words:
Closed OS
Old 09-16-2012 at 11:36 PM   #52
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
You never had to know how to compile code or know the system architecture to do anything basic.

Try Linux. Most people are not using it for the same exact reason.
Been there, done that. I don't claim to have done a survey, I know a friend and his non-techy girlfriend who both use Ubuntu satisfactorily. Heck, my sister used Ubuntu for a year without complaints.

I used to use Elementary OS before I switched to OS X, I can give you the reason why I don't use linux any more: Lack of quality software + gui + badly maintained software.

knowing the system architecture isn't such a big deal and compiling isn't a big deal either, you just run 2 commands. The problem arises when you have to troubleshoot something.

Anyway, this topic isn't about Macs vs PC. Kindly stay the fuck on topic, talk about iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

Apparently iPhone 5 is heavier and lighter at the same time
Old 09-17-2012 at 12:00 AM   #53
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Apparently iPhone 5 is heavier and lighter at the same time
... In what way? Physics taught me otherwise
Old 09-17-2012 at 08:35 AM   #54
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
... In what way? Physics taught me otherwise
I think he's talking about the peoples' comments in the video. At least one person said it was heavier, and at least one person said it was lighter.

@Andrew, Angrybean

PM each other until someone gives in. As Afzal said, this thread is/was getting off-topic.

ZSimon says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

Afzal likes this.