MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: What percentage do you attend?
10% or Less 3 2.27%
20% 3 2.27%
30% 0 0%
40% 4 3.03%
50% 3 2.27%
60% 5 3.79%
70% 15 11.36%
80% 21 15.91%
90% 46 34.85%
100% 32 24.24%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What High School Did You Attend? Jake General Discussion 312 11-23-2011 02:05 PM
What percentage does it take to get a 12?????? RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-06-2010 11:23 PM
Hey im planning to attend Mac next year theexe2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-28-2009 10:17 AM
CONFLICT: Lab or Class, which to Attend Fa11enAnge1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 08-25-2009 03:19 PM
GPA conversion of 10 to percentage magicalland Academics 1 06-07-2009 08:50 PM

What percentage of classes to do attend?

Old 07-24-2011 at 09:28 AM   #1
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

What percentage of classes to do attend?
So? Realistically, what %age of classes do you attend? I know most of us skip ATLEAST 10-20% of classes a year, so lets hear it!

This will be a good indication for first years coming in
Old 07-24-2011 at 09:33 AM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

sometimes I'll skip class, but it's extremely rare, there are several social work classes where you have to attend a minimum of 80% of classes or you'll receive an automatic 'F' so I have to have a legitimate excuse to skip.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

LindsayL216 says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 07-24-2011 at 09:40 AM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I don't skip any when I have a firm routine. I.e. "Wake up at 6:10 AM, be at Mac by 8:11 AM, do something in the Chem department till 3-4 PM, go home and work/go to night class."

Never missed a single class in summer school with that kind of schedule.
Never even fell asleep in one, despite being completely exhausted some days.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

traveler10 likes this.
Old 07-24-2011 at 09:50 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I don't skip any when I have a firm routine. I.e. "Wake up at 6:10 AM, be at Mac by 8:11 AM, do something in the Chem department till 3-4 PM, go home and work/go to night class."

Its harder during the school year since its 4 months instead of 1-2, and its also harder when you have unexpected things that come up (gf's, friends, lazyness, etc)
Old 07-24-2011 at 09:54 AM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:

... but first semester last year was a different story. Need I say analytical? :p
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-24-2011 at 11:01 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Depends on the course. Although I ALWAYS missed at least 1-2 classes for every course. The maximum I've missed is probably around 80% for a handful of classes. I probably average around 30-40% though. I do a lot of my learning from the books. In first year it was much much higher, probably averaged 60%, but not the concepts and pathways are getting more complex so I need the hear the professors' explanations.
Old 07-24-2011 at 11:06 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It depends on the class but I try not to skip any classes and I only do so, if there's something more important that I need to finish. However, that's only a few classes per semester.
Old 07-24-2011 at 11:14 AM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I only skip when its like a very important thing that I have to do, otherwise I attend every class.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-24-2011 at 11:27 AM   #9
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Its harder during the school year since its 4 months instead of 1-2, and its also harder when you have unexpected things that come up (gf's, friends, lazyness, etc)
I think she's trying to say your less likely to miss a class if you have a firm schedule planned out, where you know exactly what you are doing for every second everyday, it really isn't that hard.
Old 07-24-2011 at 11:34 AM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWitches View Post
I think she's trying to say your less likely to miss a class if you have a firm schedule planned out, where you know exactly what you are doing for every second everyday, it really isn't that hard.
Pretty much. That does get hard, I agree, especially with a job that has sporadic hours and scheduling, but my main goal with a tight schedule is waking up at the same time every week/work day.

I used to have a lot of problems regulating my sleep schedule and since my doctors couldn't pinpoint one definite reason, they suggested that I start by going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day. I didn't believe it at first, and it was hard to implement when I had to be on coverage till 3/4 AM, but once I moved back home, it fell into place pretty quickly.

I also appreciate the fact that fall/winter courses are 4 months. However, I've been on this schedule for roughly 3 months now, save a couple of weeks for a wisdom tooth extraction and some illness related rest.

Even though it's kind of tiring, it's when I don't wake up at 6 that my schedule is really really off. Also, the simple act of a 10-13 minute walk to the bus stop does wonders. Taking 2 buses before 8 AM doesn't hurt either.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2011 at 11:47 AM   #11
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Pretty much. That does get hard, I agree, especially with a job that has sporadic hours and scheduling, but my main goal with a tight schedule is waking up at the same time every week/work day.

I used to have a lot of problems regulating my sleep schedule and since my doctors couldn't pinpoint one definite reason, they suggested that I start by going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day. I didn't believe it at first, and it was hard to implement when I had to be on coverage till 3/4 AM, but once I moved back home, it fell into place pretty quickly.

I also appreciate the fact that fall/winter courses are 4 months. However, I've been on this schedule for roughly 3 months now, save a couple of weeks for a wisdom tooth extraction and some illness related rest.

Even though it's kind of tiring, it's when I don't wake up at 6 that my schedule is really really off. Also, the simple act of a 10-13 minute walk to the bus stop does wonders. Taking 2 buses before 8 AM doesn't hurt either.
I get up @ 6:30, but thats only b/c i workout every morning, if you lived there you could get up @ 7:30, and have a couple hours every evening to have a life!
Old 07-24-2011 at 12:15 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I get up @ 6:30, but thats only b/c i workout every morning, if you lived there you could get up @ 7:30, and have a couple hours every evening to have a life!
Yes, that would be nice. When I live closer, I plan to make the early mornings + walk/bike ride in a part o my workout. I find that some exercise or another reason to wake up on time (i.e. infrequent buses) help me miss less things because there's no "Well, I'll just catch the next one"

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2011 at 12:16 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I only skipped class when I was able to (like if the lecture slides were online and the prof simply read from those slides). If it was a class with nothing online and everything the prof said was important, I would attend every single class.

I would say, in general, I attended maybe 60-70% of class. I don't encourage first years to do that though A lot of it had to do with living so far from the school, working part time and volunteering.
Old 07-24-2011 at 12:18 PM   #14
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Like most people have said, it depends on the class. I never skipped a chemistry class, but I skipped like half of the Bio 1M03 classes because they were so completely useless
Old 07-24-2011 at 12:23 PM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Exactly, and what im trying to say is not everyone can have a firm schedule, things come up, especially if you are living offcampus or in res.