MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terrible Signature Restrictions? RoyK Computers & Tech 1 07-11-2010 08:28 PM
Help!! Submission Error JS123321 Computers & Tech 5 01-31-2010 12:18 AM
OSAP error! HELP! xo.monica General Discussion 7 07-27-2009 12:49 AM
Payment Agreement Error!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-17-2008 03:09 PM

Personal Signature Error

Old 12-15-2009 at 09:06 PM   #16
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Fortunately, enrollment is not supposed to be increasing anymore. The admin has capped it finally.
Well even the current levels are pretty high compared to 5/10 years ago! They seriously need to bump up entrance requirements for Social Science if they want to get it out of the current rut. I haven't studied in the Canadian system but I heard getting a 75% is no big deal.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-15-2009 at 09:08 PM   #17
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

I guess I can't really blame the school, it was my mistake for coming :.(
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:11 PM   #18
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Well but the way you have to think about it is that: You are here and you are going nowhere; like it or not. It is what you make of it, for me Mac was the only option because it was the cheapest place as far as international tuition was concerned. But I'm still trying to make the best of it and stand out despite the circumstances

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-15-2009 at 09:15 PM   #19
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
No, it was their mistaking for thinking St. Davids is a real school!
Old 12-27-2009 at 03:40 AM   #20
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

i guess a 12 is a 12 anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
No, it was their mistaking for thinking St. Davids is a real school!
?? i never went there!
Old 12-27-2009 at 04:21 AM   #21
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Hahahahaha omg you complain about MC sociology? Try MC Calculus! I did the whole course without ever having to show ANY work. What a joke. I am a cashcow to the school.

Just remember marks aren't important. How much you learn and improve is what is important. In some classes I don't do very well but I have learned more and am more equipped to tackle the material then the people who got a 12. So when I tackle other projects or research I own the kids who got 12s. Marks dont show how much you know, just how well you fulfilled a narrow minded set of requirements.

I wish every class was pass/fail, but to pass you needed to demonstrate a command of the material equivalent to an 80%. How scary is it to think that I can get an engineering degree knowing only 60% of the material. Imagine it, you get to drive over a bridge that I didnt understand 40% of. Or next time you take some medicine, that I was pretty sure that 60% of what you just took was the right chemical. I call that a "WIN" for safety.
Old 12-27-2009 at 06:00 AM   #22
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
How scary is it to think that I can get an engineering degree knowing only 60% of the material. Imagine it, you get to drive over a bridge that I didnt understand 40% of. Or next time you take some medicine, that I was pretty sure that 60% of what you just took was the right chemical. I call that a "WIN" for safety.
Real life engineering is a bit different in structure than in school. School requires a one to know a very broad and constantly changing scope of knowledge that must be absorbed in a short period of time. This can lead to mediocre grades spread out over a lot of different material and subject areas. In contrast, at work you become very specilized in the tiny subset of knowledge that is specific not only to your field, but to your specific job its self. The people that are in charge of your work often have decades of experience in that tiny subset.

More realistically, your bridge would probably have been designed by people who live and breath bridges and really know 98% of all there is to know about them, and their work is certified by people who know 100% of what there is to know. (though these same people might not be able to tell you jack about, say, underground structures or algebra since the last time they saw either was in college).

I do agree though that grading systems are flawed in many ways. Also, theres a lot less MC in later years - they just use it in first and sometimes second year to deal with the volume of people taking the same courses.