MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-09-2009 at 10:37 PM   #1
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Pet Peeves
So we all have them, yet we don't think about them or remember until they come up eventually.

So here are mine.
1- Why do GO bus drivers let people on when there are no more seats left?! Do they really think it's normal for someone to stay standing for 1.5 hours (Hamilton to Union, for eg.) in that tiny aisle?!
2- Why on earth do people save seats for their friends who are "going to" come on at a bus stop that the bus is goign to reach LATER. While other people who have paid remain standing in the aisle. And this has happened everytime I take the Go Bus to go home..
Next time, I'm making sure I either sit down, wait for the next bus, maybe even cancel the trip home.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 10-09-2009 at 10:42 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I hate it when people save spots in class for their friends when the room is packed. If they won't move it after asking nicely, I'll just sit on their stuff. :|

The usual stuff:
- slow walkers blocking the way
- people talking loudly behind you during lectures
- when people argue about things that have a simple solution

Old 10-09-2009 at 10:51 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Definitely! I totally agree with the seats thing.
In bio class on thursday, two girls had their stuff on 3 seats in the front, and when whoever they were saving them for didn't show up, they decided that their backpacks and waterbottles should have the front seats.
Afterall who cares about other people.. their bags are more important.
Old 10-09-2009 at 10:53 PM   #4
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Slow walkers, and when groups of people stand around chatting in high traffic areas, such as right in front of doors or in the middle of stairs.
Old 10-09-2009 at 10:58 PM   #5
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
So we all have them, yet we don't think about them or remember until they come up eventually.

So here are mine.
1- Why do GO bus drivers let people on when there are no more seats left?! Do they really think it's normal for someone to stay standing for 1.5 hours (Hamilton to Union, for eg.) in that tiny aisle?!
2- Why on earth do people save seats for their friends who are "going to" come on at a bus stop that the bus is goign to reach LATER. While other people who have paid remain standing in the aisle. And this has happened everytime I take the Go Bus to go home..
Next time, I'm making sure I either sit down, wait for the next bus, maybe even cancel the trip home.

I agree with your second pet peeve. I hate people that save seats for their friends, especially when the bus is full.

I don't see any problem with people standing on the bus. If you have a seat, why does it matter to you? Also, its not like the bus driver has a choice. They understand people have classes, need to get home, etc. I commute every day from Mississauga, and people are always standing (including me sometimes), and honestly, I don't even think people mind standing lol.

Old 10-09-2009 at 11:19 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Just came back from a shift at McD's... SO many McD's related pet peeves:

-customers who don't ask for condiments at the drive-thru speaker, and then ask for them at the window
-customers who add to their order at the window, or otherwise change their order at the window
-customers who stop talking in-between each and every item so I have to say "is that everything?" or "anything else?" a billion times
-customers who talk really quietly at the speaker, or customers who order from the passenger side of the car... both of which causes me to have a hard time hearing the order, and then they get mad when I have to ask them to repeat themselves

That's it for now... I have other, non-McD's related pet peeves, but this was a great way to vent after a long shift!

Jake, Kevin S, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-09-2009 at 11:24 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Well, I don't really appreciate when residence kids bring all their crap to the front of the line because they want to go home for Thanksgiving. Their homes are on campus. The rest of us who are dead tired from a commute totalling over 3 hours and 4.30 hours of sleep per night because of the aforementioned commute don't appreciate you shoving to the front of the line because you want to get home. Again, your home is 5 minutes away from your classes and you only do this 8 times a month at max. The rest of us do it at least 40. Show a little consideration. Also, when you have 2 suitcases obstructing a proper line from forming, perhaps you should organize yourself better by placing one on either side of you.

Another brilliant thing is when people think that where their cars drop them is where the line automatically starts. No. It's at the back. Go to the back. Some of us stand for more than 20 minutes in the freaking rain. I don't care if you want to minimize the loss of heat that occurs when you leave your car from when you enter the bus. Get over yourself and get to the Goddamn back of the Goddamn bus.

Oh and it's super fun when you have to hold your backpack, your bag and all your other junk on your lap because somebody asked you to share your seat cause they're too lazy to make use of all empty seats at the back. Even worse is when they aren't polite company. My behind occupies my seat BUT NOT PERFECTLY. Why do you want our behinds to overlap? Why? Why not just go back?

When people start a discussion with you and leave because they saw somebody they would much prefer to stand behind. If you know that person is coming, I don't want to be your placebo.

Overeager kids in class who scream answers instead of saying them despite being at the front, knowing full well the prof repeats everything you say for the benefit of students at the back. Yes, I know you're brilliant and you understand everything he says. I don't want your running commentary. Keep it to yourself. And try not to deafen other people by yelling. It's just rude Goddammit. It's just rude.

Stop talking to me during the freaking lecture. Questions are super but...if "The class starts at 5" is up on the screen and you ask me if the class starts at 5, I just want to cry I really really do.

TA's keeping you late.
People telling you that chemistry labs are super safe when the fact is that you are contaminating all your stationary and lab manuals and lab notebooks with the substances they say are hazardous.
And...toilets. I just don't like them. I wish humans did not have to excrete waste...we just...blew bubbles or something. I just...really loathe all bathroom related activities except showers and brushing teeth. It's terrible... no.

Oh and smudges on the screen.
And no I'm not an Apple fangirl, I'm slightly neurotic.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

BlakeM, britb, Jake, Kevin S like this.
Old 10-09-2009 at 11:25 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I agree with your second pet peeve. I hate people that save seats for their friends, especially when the bus is full.

I don't see any problem with people standing on the bus. If you have a seat, why does it matter to you? Also, its not like the bus driver has a choice. They understand people have classes, need to get home, etc. I commute every day from Mississauga, and people are always standing (including me sometimes), and honestly, I don't even think people mind standing lol.
Jake...this is crazy. We're in the same Stats class and do the same commute. I'm almost positive we're on the same bus after Stats. We need to find some way to identify the other person.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-09-2009 at 11:29 PM   #9
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Well, I don't really appreciate when residence kids bring all their crap to the front of the line because they want to go home for Thanksgiving. Their homes are on campus. The rest of us who are dead tired from a commute totalling over 3 hours and 4.30 hours of sleep per night because of the aforementioned commute don't appreciate you shoving to the front of the line because you want to get home. Again, your home is 5 minutes away from your classes and you only do this 8 times a month at max. The rest of us do it at least 40. Show a little consideration. Also, when you have 2 suitcases obstructing a proper line from forming, perhaps you should organize yourself better by placing one on either side of you.
Haha I agree.

EDIT: What bus do you take after Stats?

Old 10-09-2009 at 11:31 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

It's the 5:37 to Square One. Either 47B or 47A whichever comes.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-09-2009 at 11:40 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yaaaaay!
  • slow walkers
  • people who stop to talk near doors
  • people who are buying/ordering things from you while talking on their cell phone
  • people who don't hold open doors when your arms are obviously full of stuff
  • people who don't say please or thank you
  • when webpages don't load
  • when firefox crashes
  • how my stomach seems to get randomly cranky
  • insomnia
  • rude bus drivers (i am still not used to public transit; i never had to really take it until i started university because of where i live)
  • when people break promises
  • CENTIPEDES
  • when people steal my covers when i'm sleeping
  • people confusing archeology and palentology
i think that's everything...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-09-2009 at 11:43 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Oh and people who advocate for exercise and go to the gym and "I gotta look so good" and drink every night.
Your kidneys do more than just take up space. I know they don't help with great abs but they...do have...some purpose.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-10-2009 at 12:18 AM   #13
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Just came back from a shift at McD's... SO many McD's related pet peeves:

-customers who don't ask for condiments at the drive-thru speaker, and then ask for them at the window
-customers who add to their order at the window, or otherwise change their order at the window
-customers who stop talking in-between each and every item so I have to say "is that everything?" or "anything else?" a billion times
-customers who talk really quietly at the speaker, or customers who order from the passenger side of the car... both of which causes me to have a hard time hearing the order, and then they get mad when I have to ask them to repeat themselves

That's it for now... I have other, non-McD's related pet peeves, but this was a great way to vent after a long shift!
When I used to work at Timmies, the customers in the drive thru always seemed to talk to the garbage that was beside the speaker, instead of actually into the speaker. And then when you tell them to move closer to the speaker because you cant hear them, they yell at you.

malycknm, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-10-2009 at 12:20 AM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

People who get WAY too into discussions in tutorials, argue rudely with the TAs, don't let other people talk, etc. It's so uncomfortable..
Old 10-10-2009 at 12:27 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Slow walkers that block the sidewalks
People talking during lectures
People that stop in the middle of the sidewalk to talk to other people
Professors who have to explain every detail excruciatingly slow and repetitively.
Professors that read off their slides and/or take information word for word from the book.