MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:24 PM   #46
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
..That's only true until you get to the point where you've already learned everything that has been discovered and then all you learn are experimental stuff where no one knows the answers.
I know, in upper years, you get into courses where there's grey area.
I'm talking about the courses where it is mostly right or wrong.
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:27 PM   #47
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Speaking of which...

I just came back from Mills.

There was THE MOST beautiful husky tied up outside. I sat there petting it easily for 10 minutes. No one came by.

If I didn't know what it felt like to lose a dog, I would definitely take someone's 2000$ dog that they leave carelessly outside. Are people really this dumb?

But goddamn was it ever gorgeous.
I think if it's really hot, really cold, really rainy, etc., you can call the SPCA to come pick up the dog.
I'm pretty sure leaving a dog tied up outside isn't illegal. But leaving a dog tied up outside in bad weather where it could get sick/injured/killed is illegal.

I know what you mean though. I know how hard it is to lose a pet, so I could never take someone's. But maybe they deserve to know what it feels like, in order for them to learn not to do it again.
Whenever it happens, I jsut wait by the dog until the owner comes by and let them have it.
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:31 PM   #48
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Well, since we're all waiting for this:

-insert list of everything that can go wrong in a group project/presentation-

*The kid that argues with the leader for the sake of aruging (they're usually ignorant idiots/have no idea what they are talking about)
*The lazy genius that sends things in at 11 pm...when you wanted it for 4 pm...scracth that, anyone that sends things in late (I usualyl lie so that I have a safety bubble)
*The kid that doesn't bother to do something decent and makes you basically do it.
*The snob that likes to act like it was all their idea.
*People who have no common sense about do a presentation (ex: readers, people who forget things you just told them "don't mind this, I'll just handle it" or "make sure you introduce the next person quickly")
*Profs that assign group projects and give no consideration (ex: not to complaints that 'my partners suck,' I mean a lack of some individual componet, even if it's a group-evaluation form or something)
*When my gorgeous PPs don't show up right
*People who do not know how to use PP (ex: default templates, wall of text, no pics, annoying sounds/slow animations)

There are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more, but I haven't done once since last year, so I'm a little rusty with my hatred. lol.

As for dogs, I just kinda ignore them, I don't see them tied up much where I live, probably because there is a stunning lack of suitable poles. Anyone seen the black poodle in the morning? He chases the rodents and seagulls with his owner. He's so cute. I would have LOVED to see the husky, i have a thing for wolfish dogs, since wolves are my favourite animal. As for taking a dog, I'd be too scared of getting caught to do it...besides, my mother would leave ME outside if I brought something home.

Last edited by britb : 10-11-2009 at 11:34 PM.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:42 PM   #49
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Omg britb!! I know exactly how you feel with those project ones. Definitely extreme pet peeves! [email protected]
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:48 PM   #50
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I don't like how bitter my commuting has made me.
I'm perpetually angry and being angry gets me even madder.
It's terrible.
I work very hard not to be angry. It's very infuriating.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 10-12-2009 at 12:47 AM   #51
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

This is the first time I've been on macinsiders in weeks. I love this thread so much, I LOLed all the way through!

Pet peeves:
-- MultiSIM
-- Having a midterm, 3 papers, 2 assignments and a lab report due within 4 days
-- Having so much work taht you can't possibly do any of it to the best of your ability.
-- Working myself to the bone all of Thanksgiving weekend.
-- Being an insomniac
-- Buying a huge box of tea to help you stay awake and study only to find out that its decaffeinated.
-- Shoes that fit in the store and cease to fit when you bring them home.
Old 10-12-2009 at 01:02 AM   #52
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

makeup remover not removing all of your makeup.

i hate it when the cloths are clean but then when you come out of the shower you look like a raccoon.

my eyes are raw right now from trying to take off makeup...i still have some on but i had to stop because it hurt! stupid makeup...grrr.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

micadjems likes this.
Old 10-12-2009 at 01:04 AM   #53
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

My pet peeve is when people don't care about their extra-curricular activities. I put my whole heart into whatever I decide to get involved in each year and when I see people slacking or not taking it seriously I get frustrated.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 10-12-2009 at 01:20 AM   #54
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Me: I really don't think you should leave your dog tied up in public. Someone could steal him.
Her: Someone could steal him?? I don't think so.
Me: Yes. ... I could have stolen him. Anyone could have stolen him.
Her: Um.. Okay, thanks? (and she left)

It's not like walking by the grocery store and thinking "Oh crap, I need to get some eggs. I'll just tie the dog up outside" (that's not acceptable either).
Indeed...who are these horrible people who have the audacity to try and get some exercise for their pets and themselves by running errands on foot?! They should be shot for not leaving their pets at home or at the very least they should drive to the grocery store with their pets so there is a "secure" location for the pet while they go into the store.

If your argument against leaving your pet tied up outside a building is that they might get stolen then I'll risk it. I'd rather incorporate my pet into a healthy lifestyle which minimizes the use of automobiles. Compare the slim chance of the pet getting stolen with the virtually 100% chance of health problems if you and your pet don't get enough exercise.
Old 10-12-2009 at 08:29 AM   #55
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCL View Post
Indeed...who are these horrible people who have the audacity to try and get some exercise for their pets and themselves by running errands on foot?! They should be shot for not leaving their pets at home or at the very least they should drive to the grocery store with their pets so there is a "secure" location for the pet while they go into the store.

If your argument against leaving your pet tied up outside a building is that they might get stolen then I'll risk it. I'd rather incorporate my pet into a healthy lifestyle which minimizes the use of automobiles. Compare the slim chance of the pet getting stolen with the virtually 100% chance of health problems if you and your pet don't get enough exercise.
My pet peeves are most of your posts.

You take everything out of proportion/context.

Our problem is people who leave their dogs outside when it's not just a quick stop.

Obviously you're missing a whole slew of possible scenarios that can happen with this.

IE: Leave your dog outside, one ******* decides to be cruel to it, then a young child runs up to it because it's a pretty dog and he/she wants to pet it, then she gets bit and then you have to put your dog down.

And [email protected] the assumption that that would be the ONLY exercise you or your animal ever get.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-12-2009 at 09:05 AM   #56
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
IE: Leave your dog outside, one ******* decides to be cruel to it, then a young child runs up to it because it's a pretty dog and he/she wants to pet it, then she gets bit and then you have to put your dog down..
Ah yes, I did indeed forget the "my dog gets tortured while I'm in the grocery store and then the torturer leaves and then a small child runs away from his parents to my dog who then attacks the young child because he's just been tortured and now has to be put down" scenario.

I'll just count myself lucky that this hasn't happened in the last 12 years with my dog. When this scenario does play out and I'm weeping like a baby over losing my dog, I'll remember your post and give myself a "I told you so." for you. Cheers!

Last edited by MDCL : 10-12-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2009 at 09:38 AM   #57
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Ah yes, I did indeed forget the "my dog gets tortured while I'm in the grocery store and then the torturer leaves and then a small child runs away from his parents to my dog who then attacks the young child because he's just been tortured and now has to be put down" scenario.

I'll just count myself lucky that this hasn't happened in the last 12 years with my dog. When this scenario does play out and I'm weeping like a baby over losing my dog, I'll remember your post and give myself a "I told you so." for you. Cheers!
If it's happened in my town of 20k people, I'm sure it can happen elsewhere.

You're telling me you've never seen some douchebag teenagers harass a dog while it's been left unattended? That's honestly surprising.

I've seen idiots throw rocks at dogs even when it was being walked by someone.

Even I've been bitten when I've gone up to a tied up dog to pet it. DON'T leave your dog unattended, you can't ****ing control it when you're not there. If you want to keep your dog, stay with it. Simple. It's not about "OMG IM ACTUALLY WALKING MY DOG AND GIVING IT EXERCISE PROPZ 2 MIII"

And if you need to to spend 30 minutes in a grocery store, leave your dog at home. Walk him when you get back for crying out loud. Trust me, no one's time is THAT important and if they really think it is, then they have a highly deluded sense of self-worth.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-12-2009 at 10:18 AM   #58
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

My dad's friend has a husky that he basically keeps in the back of his truck all day. I'm not sure what he does when the weather is bad for it, but I think he leave the dog at home or takes him inside with him. It's a really well-trained dog, never barks or anything, and it seems happy like that, he's pretty old.

I never owned a dog, but here it goes...
As for leaving a dog alone somewhere, I think I would do it, if it was a quick run, like a minute or two, and I wouldn't tie him right in front of the store, off to the side or something so he wasn't in everyone's way. But if my dog was the type to get nervous around crowds or bite people, I definitely wouldn't, since if he hurts someone, it's my fault. If I knew I was going out for a while, I either wouldn't bring him at all or leave him in the car if the weather was all right.

I really don't see much wrong with it, as long as the dog isn't standing out their for an hour and is tied up somewhere out of the way so he doesn't bother everyone. Of course, the dog can only be left alone if he'll behave - biters have to be muzzled, nervous ones probably should be left alone at all. Sure, there is a risk of the dog being stolen and everything, but there's a risk in everythingand the people that leave their dogs alone in a sketchy place are stupid.

But that's just me, I don't see dogs tied up regularly, so it's not a big deal to me anyway. I'm sure my opinions would differ a bit if I had a dog or saw them left alone a lot.
Old 10-12-2009 at 10:35 AM   #59
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:

I walk my dog and get my groceries at different times. Everyone can do that. If you're willing to risk it, fine. But I'm not going to leave my dog outside to get stolen (or break free from his leash and run away) for some eggs that I can pick up later.
This isn't about never taking your dog for a walk. This is about being a responsible pet owner and taking your dog for a walk at some time OTHER than when you need to get groceries.

This happens to so many people. In Westdale there was a sign infront of the Shopper's Drug Mart last year that said "LOST DOG. Was tied up outside Shoppers for 10 mins. Please call ###" There was a HUGE reward too, so I'm sure it was a beloved pet.
I'm not willing to risk it.
Old 10-12-2009 at 10:51 AM   #60
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
If it's happened in my town of 20k people, I'm sure it can happen elsewhere.

You're telling me you've never seen some douchebag teenagers harass a dog while it's been left unattended? That's honestly surprising.

I've seen idiots throw rocks at dogs even when it was being walked by someone.

Even I've been bitten when I've gone up to a tied up dog to pet it. DON'T leave your dog unattended, you can't ****ing control it when you're not there. If you want to keep your dog, stay with it. Simple. It's not about "OMG IM ACTUALLY WALKING MY DOG AND GIVING IT EXERCISE PROPZ 2 MIII"

And if you need to to spend 30 minutes in a grocery store, leave your dog at home. Walk him when you get back for crying out loud. Trust me, no one's time is THAT important and if they really think it is, then they have a highly deluded sense of self-worth.
There's tons of stories about people abusing/killing dogs and cats.

Some freaks in St. Catherines set a house cat on fire last year. Facebook group here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5310619 5198

There was another instance of someone shooting an arrow (like from a bow and arrow) at a dog in a park.
Some guy in Alberta killed a cat he found after breaking into someone's house by putting it in the microwave.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...1-551297e80e3c
A teenager (I think in Guelph) tortured and killed cats in this one neighbourhood and left their body parts on the owner's porches.

Leaving your dog tied up outside a store is a perfect opportunity for people like this to grab their next victim. It's not like this stuff doesn't happen where we live.