MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-27-2009 at 07:09 PM   #196
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
That almost everything happens late at night - tests, clubs meetings, extra help sessions... I see the logic in it, but I'm a commuter, so I can't get too involved in clubs or things, since I basically use my club free time just getting to and from school. I'd do a lot more if it didn't mean me wasting two, three, four hours waiting for the meeting, and then another one or two getting back home.

It would be great to have club meetings function like lectures, where they happen once or twice a week at different times - attendance would be fantastic - but that's pretty impossible.

Oh, the mosquitoes in BSB's basement. I think they slink in in the morning, because I see one almsot everyday trying to give me west nile. It's so odd, you think they'd like it upstairs, it all the extra doors and things.
I agree. I'm part of a club that meets every Tuesday at 5:30pm. It's frustrating because I only have classes until 11:30am on Tuesdays. It takes me 2 hours EACH way on the bus. I feel like I'm missing out on the meetings, but it's impossible for me to go. :(

I just hate anything school-related (club meetings, tests, fun events, etc) that don't recognize not all students live on/near campus. I miss out on a lot of things because of the bus.
Old 10-27-2009 at 07:19 PM   #197
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I sympathize so much with you.

I would totally be in the bio society and probably some other ones (I;m not sure what's out there, to tell you the truth, since I commute, etc.) if I didn't have to take the go bus back and forth. I really do want to get involved (and kinda need to, if I have a shot at prof schools), but can't afford to kill all that time that I would use for schoolwork (a 1 hr meeting is closer to a 3, 31/2 hr meeting for me)

It sucks. The latest class I have this semester ends at 330, and even that's pushing it - i get home about 5, since I have to take the transit afterwards. I wake up at 545, so that's over 12 hours at school (for four classes), plus the homework and stuff I have to do, which takes up most of the night. I don't know what I'm gonna do with my bio lab than ends at 530 next semester - the only two that are at 1130 are full. (Res kids, get the hell out of that session, dammit.)
Old 10-27-2009 at 07:23 PM   #198
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Hmm, I dunno. I can sympathize with you guys about missing club meetings...

but honestly, last year, EVERY group meeting for a club that I signed up for was during one of my day classes.

This year, with almost all the meetings at night, I've been able to go to ALL of them (unless I've had a midterm).

It's definitely bittersweet.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-27-2009 at 07:34 PM   #199
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
I don't know what I'm gonna do with my bio lab than ends at 530 next semester - the only two that are at 1130 are full. (Res kids, get the hell out of that session, dammit.)
There's still plenty of time to switch. Just keep checking SOLAR regularly. It could be full of commuters, you never know. Rez kids or not, everyone wants to finish early.
Old 10-27-2009 at 11:42 PM   #200
Buttle

Liked: 58 Times

I hate people who complain too much.

hope13, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 01:22 AM   #201
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I hate people who fail to contribute to a a project, knowing that you're going to finish it. Then, try to get the work from you for their own use. Yeah right [email protected]

xo.monica likes this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 07:10 AM   #202
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Yes, but it would be nice of them of them to get out of the only two sessions that don't start at 1430. They don't have to go back and forth to school, after all, and staying those extra three hours isn't a big deal to them.

New one! The blue light in the back of the go bus at night/early morning. It really bothers my eyes (it's too bright and intense) and I can't see out the windows. Sure, it's needed for safety, but it still bugs me.
Old 10-28-2009 at 01:04 PM   #203
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I sympathize so much with you.

I would totally be in the bio society and probably some other ones (I;m not sure what's out there, to tell you the truth, since I commute, etc.) if I didn't have to take the go bus back and forth. I really do want to get involved (and kinda need to, if I have a shot at prof schools), but can't afford to kill all that time that I would use for schoolwork (a 1 hr meeting is closer to a 3, 31/2 hr meeting for me)

It sucks. The latest class I have this semester ends at 330, and even that's pushing it - i get home about 5, since I have to take the transit afterwards. I wake up at 545, so that's over 12 hours at school (for four classes), plus the homework and stuff I have to do, which takes up most of the night. I don't know what I'm gonna do with my bio lab than ends at 530 next semester - the only two that are at 1130 are full. (Res kids, get the hell out of that session, dammit.)
I know! I have a class that ends at 5:30pm next term and it's going to be a pain in the ass. Not only do I hate getting home so late, but I hate taking the bus so late at night/in the dark. Since it's only one night a week, I think I'm going to try to find a family member or friend who can drive me.

I also have one class on Tuesdays, which is an hour long. When the bus ride ONE WAY takes longer than the class itself, it's so not worth it.
Old 10-28-2009 at 02:57 PM   #204
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Another Go Bus mini-pet peeve. The 47A drivers who early in the day for whatever reason make people going to Bramalea Go get off at Sqaure One and get on another bus. When it first happened a few weeks ago I thought it was a one time thing but now three different drivers have done it and it's becoming a regular thing. It's minor and I still get to my intended destination on time but it irks me because I pay for my monthly pass and they call the 47A an express bus, its supposed to take me from Point A to Point B with no hassle and fuss with transferring etc.

It mostly annoys me because I sleep on the bus though and listen to my iPod and having to wake up from my nap and relaxation 20-25 minutes before I would usually have to is annoying. I can usually get a nice solid almost an hour's worth of sleep on the bus but when they make me get off at S1 and transfer to a different bus I can't usually go back to sleep and get comfortable for the rest of the ride.

It's easy enough to deal with but I just wish it wasn't happening so often. Also I'd like an explanation as to why all these drivers keep doing this?
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:12 PM   #205
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Doesn't the 47a and 47B literally go from mac to square one only? I think you might mean the 47.

Anyway, that's really odd. How about you hang back and ask them directly next time? They might explain why thay make you get off.
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:18 PM   #206
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Doesn't the 47a and 47B literally go from mac to square one only? I think you might mean the 47.

Anyway, that's really odd. How about you hang back and ask them directly next time? They might explain why thay make you get off.
47B goes from Mac to SQ1.

47A goes from Mac to SQ1 and then to Bramalea Go.

47 goes from both of those and to a bunch of carpool lots as well.

I'm not going to bother asking the drivers (especially the ones I've seen get snippy with people over other stuff) because its a minor annoyance and I'm sure they have a reason they have to do it. I'm just curious and enjoy my nap on the Go Bus, lol.
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:33 PM   #207
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

XD. Some of them are pretty nice - the one on mon and wed express after 3:30 is nice - white guy with blue eyes and (I think east europe) accent. The lady that drvies the 47A (or B? I can't remember) really early in the morning is nice too.

They're nothing compared to the transit drivers though - now they are some rude people.

I would ask, maybe on a nice day or something, and just be super polite. If it's enough of a peeve to post here, it's worth mentioning. They've handled waaaaay worse questions than that.
Old 10-28-2009 at 03:38 PM   #208
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
XD. Some of them are pretty nice - the one on mon and wed express after 3:30 is nice - white guy with blue eyes and (I think east europe) accent. The lady that drvies the 47A (or B? I can't remember) really early in the morning is nice too.
The lady with the curly hair and glasses?

Yeah she's super nice, so friendly so early in the morning. It makes the really early commuting just a little bit better when they smile and say good morning so enthusiastically.

Is the white guy the one with sort of grey hair? He doesn't look too too old though even though he has grey hair and he's super friendly too. He drove the 47A this morning at 7:45 I think.

I like those two drivers the best.

There's also this really friendly asian guy.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:34 PM   #209
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

- People who don't move to the back of the HSR when there are people waiting to get on (especially when it's freezing/pouring rain/really late at night)

- Bikes on sidewalks, especially when there are people on it

hope13, Taunton, xo.monica like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:41 PM   #210
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
- People who don't move to the back of the HSR when there are people waiting to get on (especially when it's freezing/pouring rain/really late at night)

- Bikes on sidewalks, especially when there are people on it
See, I would personally rather have bikes on sidewalks than on the roads. Bikers on the street annoy me to death. ._. (and I'm only referring to when there are no bike lanes... when they're legally titled to a lane >_<)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.