MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-14-2009 at 10:27 PM   #76
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Oh my god, Go bus! It has made me so, so bitter.

I totally agree with the SQ1 thing. I commute from there and the people drive me nuts. Seriously, I’m usually early for the bus, so I lean my bag against the pole (so it doesn’t fall over) and wait. No one ever takes me up and makes a nice line, even though there is a ton of room for it. And then people come as the bus stops and push in front (taking about you, residence kids!) and all of a sudden I’m stuck standing. I want to have the 15 bus! It’s so nice and managed. What’s wrong with the square one people?

I’d just like to point out that SQ people aren’t spoiled, per se, just rude/ignorant most of the time (not me!). For example, there are a lot more immigrants in SQ1 (especially newer ones, who haven’t quite mastered the Canadian lifestyle yet) than many of the other Go bus stops and a lot more people in general.

Another one I have is people refusing to learn to speak basic English or French. I find it absolutely rude when people (excluding the old and very young) don’t even bother to try and learn the language of the country they are living in. It’s as if Canada is only some kind of temporary place for them, even though they live here for the majority of their lives. Have some damn respect for the country that has given you a new home and at least act as if it matters to you. That goes for totally ignoring any of the “social practices” (like waiting in line, holding you bag on your lap for other people to sit next to you,) of Canada. Keep you culture, but honestly, at least acknowledge that you’re not in your mother country anymore.

What also really annoys me is when people pay the Go bus fair in cash/change. Go and buy a ticket, damn it, you can grab one at the Student Centre, and stop leaving the rest of us in the hot/cold while you sort out your quarters. That’s one of the most self-centred things I’ve ever seen. It’s one thing if the bus comes right as you get there, but waiting 15 minutes to pay cash? Honesty, you could go and be back. What makes it worse is a lot of these people jump to the front, as if to get it over with. Don’t. Go to the back so you don’t piss everyone behind you off.

Many of the residence kids drive me nuts too. You guys take the bus MAYBE 8 times a month. Can’t you stand/go to the back? Let the people who have to put up with this crap everyday have a seat – I’m sure you can stand for 40 minutes, even though you probably only walk/stand for about 10 minutes at a time most days. Remember, we have to wake up early and go home late and we have to carry most of our things on our backs most of the day. We are tired, we can’t go home between classes and sleep or watch t.v. Please recognize this and let us sit (you can tell because we have monthly passes!)
Old 10-15-2009 at 08:48 AM   #77
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

Another one I have is people refusing to learn to speak basic English or French. I find it absolutely rude when people (excluding the old and very young) don’t even bother to try and learn the language of the country they are living in. It’s as if Canada is only some kind of temporary place for them, even though they live here for the majority of their lives. Have some damn respect for the country that has given you a new home and at least act as if it matters to you. That goes for totally ignoring any of the “social practices” (like waiting in line, holding you bag on your lap for other people to sit next to you,) of Canada. Keep you culture, but honestly, at least acknowledge that you’re not in your mother country anymore.
These people drive me crazy. Old people whatever, they should probably learn a little bit to get by but its a lot harder for older people to learn a new language so fine. But everyone else (except children who aren't in school yet I guess) should at least speak some English and French. It drives me crazy because I've worked in retail and now I work at a clinic and I have to call people. They always like "I don't speak English" or "do you have someone who speaks Pubjabi" (except they just yell Punjabi, Punjabi into the phone). Its like umm no. Okay bye.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:06 PM   #78
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

I’d just like to point out that SQ people aren’t spoiled, per se, just rude/ignorant most of the time (not me!). For example, there are a lot more immigrants in SQ1 (especially newer ones, who haven’t quite mastered the Canadian lifestyle yet) than many of the other Go bus stops and a lot more people in general.

What really bothers me is lame-ass xenophobia.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:11 PM   #79
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman89 View Post
It's really not a matter of fear, but okay.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-15-2009 at 02:20 PM   #80
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Wow you clearly lack reading comprehension skills. Thinking people who immigrate to this country where English and French are the official languages should learn one of the languages is no xenophobia. She doesn't dislike immigrants or fear them, she wishes they would speak some English.

It would be rude of any of us to go to any other Country and not learn at least enough of the language to get by. It's rude to expect people in a completely different Country to cater to you or be able to help you in a language entirely different from the native language or languages of the country.

I said why I wished people would learn English, I work in the service industry and my job requires me to help people and I can't help them or get my work done properly if they don't speak English.

Seriously what a crock calling xenophobia on this. You're either a troll just trying to stir up controversy or you've got a seriously warped world view. Why come to Canada if you don't intend on learning the language? Do you have a real answer for this or are you just too offended by our alleged "xenophobia."

Wow I'm just baffled that you'd accuse someone of that b/c other people come to this Country leaving their own for whatever reason and don't learn the language.

lawleypop, Mowicz, Taunton like this.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:20 PM   #81
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Right...xenophobia... we have a custom of civility here so we line up. Anytime a newcomer to Canada doesn't want to follow the customs (like not rushing a bus like a bunch of savages) of born and bred Canadians, the newcomer plays the immigrant card.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:23 PM   #82
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCL View Post
Right...xenophobia... we have a custom of civility here so we line up. Anytime a newcomer to Canada doesn't want to follow the customs (like not rushing a bus like a bunch of savages) of born and bred Canadians, the newcomer plays the immigrant card.
I think she was specifically saying that people should learn English or French is xenophobic which is ridiculous.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:23 PM   #83
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
It's really not a matter of fear, but okay.
I guess "prejudice" is a better word.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:25 PM   #84
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Yeah I've also noticed that the commuters from Brampton are much much nicer than the commuters from Mississuga. :p lol
Brampton kids aren't really that nice either. If they were, they would give up their seats half way to Mac to the SQ1 that have to stand.

Last edited by Matthew K : 10-15-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:27 PM   #85
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
I don't think it's prejudiced either.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Canadians to want to be able to communicate with other Canadians. I can't communicate with immigrants who REFUSE to learn either of the nation's languages.

I applaud all immigrants who spend time trying to learn one of our nation's languages. Seriously, good for them.

But when you come to this country and you REFUSE to learn a language for 20 years then uh.

Yea, I say wtf to that. But it's not prejudice.

sew12 says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Matthew K, sew12, Taunton like this.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:29 PM   #86
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Not really.

Stop with your race card bs please. It's out of line.

Again, what is the point of moving to another Country and not learning the language or adapting to at least some of the customs. It's important to keep your own culture and traditions and they should definitely keep them and celebrate them and teach them to their children that may be born here. Learning another language won't make you forget your native tongue. If you're just going to keep only your own language, way of life, customs etc why even come here? It's a slap in the face to move to another Country for presumably a better life for your family and then completely ignore their culture, customs, language etc.

Cheri pretty much summed it up, it's not unreasonable or prejudiced or xenophobic or whatever synonym you want to throw out next, racist perhaps?

Last edited by sew12 : 10-15-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Matthew K, Taunton like this.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:30 PM   #87
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Definitely not prejudiced or xenophobic. It's definitely unreasonable to move to another country and expect them to cater to you and your language.

Get over yourself! If you want to move to and live in another country, you should be ready and willing to learn to live the way they do, and that includes learning the primary language(s) of that country.

Matthew K, niteskie, sew12 like this.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:42 PM   #88
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

I feel like he/she (sorry, Sam is a unisex name and your gender is undeclared) will next say that we're only saying this because we're white. -rolls eyes-

Every time the race card gets brought up, the person using it willfully neglects the fact that the opposing party is ALL FOR people keeping their own culture. But as soon as we declare that Canada also had a set of values and beliefs and it's rude for immigrants to willfully ignore them at all costs, then that's racist. That's prejudiced.

We accept their culture (even if some people don't, we have laws that say we HAVE to) so why can't immigrants accept Canadian culture? It is possible to accept two cultures!

Like for ****s sakes, I don't go to small towns in Quebec and speak english and expect people to accomodate me. IT'S RUDE. People speak french there! I'm not going to relocate to Quebec and live there till I'm 75 and NEVER learn the language and NEVER experience "french" things.

It's not ****ing prejudice! Goddamn it severely irritates me that you ACTUALLY think it is.

I'm sorry, but there ARE such things as a wrong opinion. >_<

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-15-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:45 PM   #89
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I feel like he/she (sorry, Sam is a unisex name and your gender is undeclared) will next say that we're only saying this because we're white. -rolls eyes-
Even if they don't say that I'm sure that's what they think.

Its totally not true though. I know immigrants and children of people who immigrated here who think its annoying that other immigrants don't bother to learn English.
Old 10-15-2009 at 02:50 PM   #90
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Even if they don't say that I'm sure that's what they think.

Its totally not true though. I know immigrants and children of people who immigrated here who think its annoying that other immigrants don't bother to learn English.
They're clearly rational beings.