MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone have done petition form in APO? rmfldkdtm Academics 0 06-21-2011 12:52 PM
Math 2ZZ3 Petition! mike_302 Academics 38 05-20-2011 08:03 AM
Mini Fridge Petition Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-16-2010 09:59 AM
petition for special consideration jindal General Discussion 1 04-29-2009 01:17 PM

Petition to fix SOLAR

Old 08-10-2011 at 10:54 PM   #1
alexryu9

Liked: 7 Times

Petition to fix SOLAR
Hi everyone, I feel like i'm speaking on behalf of a lot of students when I say that the course registration process at McMaster is really really weak compared to the other Universities. I mean I hear their horror stories, but the troubles we go through appear to dwarf every other school. So I would like to start a petition here on MacInsiders to request the school admins to fix this inefficient system so we don't ever had to struggle like this again. Also it'd be nice if anyone viewing this could send this to their friends so we can get a lot of views on the page to show exactly how many students suffer from MUGSI/SOLAR telling us the maximum number of students are currently on the system.

Old 08-10-2011 at 10:57 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

They are updating the system, due to be complete by 2013. Hopefully the SRA/MSU person who was/is in charge of this will update us on what's happening... it's been a while since I last heard.
Old 08-10-2011 at 10:58 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

pfftt they will never fix it.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-10-2011 at 10:59 PM   #4
mariya

Liked: 1 Time

agreed!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:12 PM   #5
Griffs

Liked: 0 Times

Yeaaahhhh it def needs to be fixed
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:15 PM   #6
zetianz

Liked: 3 Times

AMEN
I know some universities do slots different programs and the students pick their tutorial/lab slots as they pick the courses too, why couldn't MUGSI/SOLAR be easier :(

alexryu9 likes this.
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:18 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetianz View Post
AMEN
I know some universities do slots different programs and the students pick their tutorial/lab slots as they pick the courses too, why couldn't MUGSI/SOLAR be easier :(
McMaster opts for sectioning instead. I think the main reason is to maximize the number of students that can take the course while minimizing the number of conflicts.
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:51 PM   #8
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

i hate how i cant even choose my minor sometimes because all the classes are full

i thought the point of a minor was to do something you enjoy and not something solar decided for you

so pathetic .... i go to school to pursue my interests i shouldnt have to be up nights in a row sitting at a computer clicking away

time to grow up mcmaster.

alexryu9, kaitotst, Phantom like this.
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:54 PM   #9
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

The solution is simple, either learn to live with it or transfer
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:56 PM   #10
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

I don't understand. Why do they have the stupid limit on how many users can log onto mugsi/solar???
And I agree, especially since this ridiculous system can prevent some people from pursuing their interests... that's just wrong. WE NEED TO ****ING PROTEST. DATES ANYONE?
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:04 AM   #11
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post

we shouldnt have to deal with it in the first place.

alexryu9, IqzFendi like this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:11 AM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Kind of a strange sentiment, don't you think?

No one in high school told us that McMaster would have a ****ty system where the courses you actually want to take would become full within 60 seconds of SOLAR opening. If people were aware of this problem beforehand, maybe McMaster wouldn't be so successful as to overbook their residence like they did this year.

Also, with that logic, are you saying with the recent problems in the US, lack of insurance, healthcare, insane schooling debts, a US citizen with $100k debt due to school and no job due to the ****ed up economy should just "learn to live with it" or migrate to Sweden?

Old 08-11-2011 at 12:22 AM   #13
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Kind of a strange sentiment, don't you think?

No one in high school told us that McMaster would have a ****ty system where the courses you actually want to take would become full within 60 seconds of SOLAR opening. If people were aware of this problem beforehand, maybe McMaster wouldn't be so successful as to overbook their residence like they did this year.

Also, with that logic, are you saying with the recent problems in the US, lack of insurance, healthcare, insane schooling debts, a US citizen with $100k debt due to school and no job due to the ****ed up economy should just "learn to live with it" or migrate to Sweden?
Where will protesting get us? Has it got us anywhere in the past? Mcmaster will fix it when it wants to. Mcmaster is not a government, its a business one with a large deficit an immediate expenditure just is not feasible.

Last edited by Commie8507 : 08-11-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:26 AM   #14
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Where will protesting get us? Has it got us anywhere in the past? Mcmaster will fix it when it wants to. Mcmaster is not a government, its a business, If you do not like its service(product), boycott it and transfer.
Oh don't get me wrong - I think that in the end most people get what they want, it's just a hassle.

There's no need to boycott because it's not that big of a problem.

But you can't deny that they are far from their optimal capacity and that it's not an insurmountable problem to increase the capacity 3 or 4 fold, especially with the kind of money the university rakes in.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:28 AM   #15
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

If there was an outcry from the students large enough to attract media attention, I think McMaster would start paying attention. They don't want to acquire a negative reputation that could cause them to lose potential future students, scared off by hearing of the horror stories of course registration at Mac.

Mugsi's shortcomings and the full courses really will have a drastic impact on some people' educational career because they can't take the things they want. If you were to tell this to highschool students considering coming to McMaster, I'm sure there would be quite a few who would be turned off by that.