MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a part time or full time job killza Volunteering Opportunities 1 06-24-2010 02:05 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Too Much Time ska2kroq General Discussion 3 11-16-2006 12:41 PM

PhD's are a waste of time

Old 12-29-2010 at 05:35 PM   #1
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

PhD's are a waste of time
http://www.economist.com/node/17723223

According to above.
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:41 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

K opinion noted.

bye
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:43 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

If you want to be a professor at a research university you need a PhD. Other than that, I can't tell you much about them.
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:46 PM   #4
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

it's ok, I'm a doctor!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
If you want to be a professor at a research university you need a PhD. Other than that, I can't tell you much about them.
um, last time I checked a Ph.D wasn't a prerequisite for professorship, but it helps.
Old 12-29-2010 at 05:51 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ I think he meant 'research professorship'.

Depends on the area of study, but yes, the Ph.D./professorial position ratio is higher on a whole than it used to be.

As for the "someone should write a thesis about [the disposable academic]" - plenty have, & as a whole, sociology/history (along with other areas, eg. some fields of biology) are saturated with grad students. So really, we don't want people writing about that

Old 12-29-2010 at 05:52 PM   #6
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

the article's whole argument is that PhD students don't get paid what they should... have you ever heard of people furthering education because they like learning?

if people really think PhD's are such a waste, then get into a field that has good financial reward

Old 12-29-2010 at 05:53 PM   #7
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
the article's whole argument is that PhD students don't get paid what they should... have you ever heard of people furthering education because they like learning?

if people really think PhD's are such a waste, then get into a field that has good financial reward
Couldn't agree more.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to CrashPlague for this post.

taylojl likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 06:17 PM   #8
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
um, last time I checked a Ph.D wasn't a prerequisite for professorship, but it helps.
I don't know many Professors (as opposed to sessional faculty) that don't have a PhD. (Scratch that, there are a number of Associate Clinical Professors in Medicine with just an MD) But my point is, to become a tenured member of faculty (particularly with so few positions available compared to qualified applicants) I wouldn't bank on getting a Masters and getting a job.
Old 12-29-2010 at 06:33 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
I don't know many Professors (as opposed to sessional faculty) that don't have a PhD. (Scratch that, there are a number of Associate Clinical Professors in Medicine with just an MD) But my point is, to become a tenured member of faculty (particularly with so few positions available compared to qualified applicants) I wouldn't bank on getting a Masters and getting a job.
An MD is also considered a doctoral degree.

And these days, with everybody going to school, you need everything you can get to distinguish yourself from the rest of the huge crowd. Bachelor degrees arent enough anymore, and Master degrees are basically considered entry level these days.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 12-29-2010 at 07:16 PM   #10
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. I was just trying to say that it's not a strictly enforced requirement, I know there are a few professors at McMaster who don't have their PhD.
Old 12-29-2010 at 07:32 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post

Completely true.

Bachelor's degrees are considered the norm nowadays. Everyone has them, that's why you need graduate school to be competitive within your field as well as with the knowledge, references and skills that you gain by doing a Master's or PhD.

Also, I always thought an MD is an undergraduate professional degree?

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 12-29-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:04 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post

Also, I always thought an MD is an undergraduate professional degree?
It is... I think he's referring to the fact that you get called "Dr" for both, and that MDs can be required for profs (med school) like a PhD.
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:05 PM   #13
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

What if i want to get my doctorate in touching boobies LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OL

Rakim likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 08:08 PM   #14
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

I have a PHD...........

Old 12-29-2010 at 08:12 PM   #15