MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Anyone in Philosophy 3Q03 - Philosophy of Law? MacStudent06 Academics 2 09-29-2010 07:06 PM
Too Much Philosophy? Chambini Academics 5 06-27-2010 04:09 PM
Sociology 2C06 - Deviant Behaviour AlchemistX Academics 3 06-22-2009 07:33 AM
Soc 2c06 Aysha_SM Academics 0 10-26-2008 04:22 PM

Philosophy 2C06

Philosophy 2C06
Descartes to Hume
Published by ferreinm
06-27-2008
Published by
Elite Member

Philosophy 2C06

It might be the time of day that this course was taught which made me dislike it. I'm definitely a morning person but this is not a morning course. It was interesting if you taught yourself at a later time but not in lecture in particular. I found that once I started cramming around exam time I was really interested in the material and wished I was more into it in lecture. Dr. Waluchow is considered an amazing professor by many. I don't dislike him but something about this course was off. It could've also been the room. I really dislike the lecture halls in the HSC building. I think this course would have been amazing if it were in a different room and at a different time. You really need to be passionate about philosophy to take this course. Most people who take it are philosophy majors as this is one of our mandatory courses.

The course focused on Descartes for around 3.5 months which is a long time to spend on the same person. Hence, an increase in boredom. I like variety and switching things up. The good thing about spending such a long time on Descartes was that you could never fall behind because by the 3rd week into the course you'd still be focusing on the first paragraph of his text. Dr. Waluchow did an amazing job by going in-depth. However, I don't care for Descartes enough to appreciate his text. We also focused on Spinoza, Leibniz and Hume. I think Hume is the one I enjoyed the most and unfortunately we spent no time on him whatsoever.

The course is a full year course and contained 2 essays and 2 exams, I believe.

Unless you LOVEEEE Descartes or are a philosophy major, this isn't a course to take as an elective.

Naheed likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Philosophy 2C06!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search