MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mattrress Pads? LindsayL216 Residence & Housing 7 08-11-2011 03:46 PM
Moving the Phoenix lizziepizzie General Discussion 21 06-07-2011 01:49 PM
Phoenix in August homeskillet Body & Food 1 07-31-2010 11:31 AM
Parking at Phoenix VastHorizon Automotive & Transportation 11 06-18-2010 08:21 PM

Phoenix and PADS

Old 08-16-2012 at 12:01 PM   #1
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Phoenix and PADS
Hey so I know this is a bit outdated, but Ive been looking online and havent found anything as to any resolution to the agruements being made by this guy Lou Ferro and his "organization" PADS against the new Phoenix. Anyone care to weigh in? Ive attached an article with his comments being made against the idea. This guy sounds like he must have gotten his law degree in a cereal box though.

Here is the link: http://www.thesil.ca/?p=4276

Here is the actual article so people can quote it in posts:

As the Phoenix continues to pursue a liquor license for the move to its new location, a few Westdale residents are taking the opportunity to push back against problems of noise and damage caused by drunken students in the area.
A group called Parents Against Drunk Students (PADS) purchased a quarter-page advertisement on page A13 of Saturday’s edition of The Hamilton Spectator, proclaiming that “McMaster Students Want More Alcohol On Campus.” The ad warned that the relocation of The Phoenix will lead to a more rowdy neighbourhood.
“What A Great Idea,” said the ad, sarcastically. “Let’s Increase The Volume Of Drunk Animal House Students Spilling Into Our West Campus Streets.” The ad claimed that the bar has the potential to “make Sterling Street a Party Street,” and made comparisons to the problems with student drinking in London and Kingston.
“It’s a group of concerned citizens that border along the boundary of McMaster University who are very afraid that students will throw eggs at their houses if their names are published. It’s happened before,” said Lou Ferro, the lawyer and Westdale resident who authored the ad, about PADS.
The Phoenix is set to move from its current spot in Wentworth House to the Refectory building, above Bridges Cafe, over the summer. The ad, though, claims that McMaster students are campaigning for “Another Bar On Campus,” not mentioning that the move will result in the closure of the current Phoenix. The new spot is closer to the centre of campus, further from the Westdale neighbourhood, and will hold a liquor license for fewer people.
“When you compare the old Phoenix to the new Phoenix, it’s a whole new situation, a whole new bar concept,” said Ferro. “The new Phoenix is a modern, heavy-duty, big-sized bar with a business plan that greatly overshadows the old bar. When you take the new bar, it’s a whole different entity. They may be calling it The Phoenix, but it’s not rising as a Phoenix. It’s rising as a whole new bar.”
The Ainslie Wood/Westdale Community Association (AWWCA), which would normally represent concerns like these of permanent residents, has not chosen to take a stance against the bar.
“I know that there are some people that, from a community point of view, are looking at it more intensely than others,” said Jay Parlar, president of the AWWCA, speaking to The Silhouette in February. “They’ve come to the Board, asking the Board for support for what they’re doing, and we can’t.”
PADS targets the Association in the ad, saying that their decision was a poor one.
“AWWCA doesn’t have any right to say anything about anything that doesn’t affect them, because it’s 200 feet from the bar that’s being affected, and most of AWWCA’s membership lives beyond the sphere on influence of this bar. It’s the Sterling and Forsythe triangle that we’re worried about,” said Ferro.
PADS appears to be a reincarnation of Westdale Against Drunk Students, which staged a rally in 2006 to campaign for the closure of TwelvEighty, then called Quarters.
“We don’t have any faith in student management of the bars,” said Ferro, explaining that students don’t have the experience needed to serve alcohol responsibly.
The Phoenix has been on campus for 43 years. In that time, the McMaster campus has always hosted two or more student bars.
“Students are students. Nobody’s arguing with their right to drink alcohol, but when a university or association puts them all in one spot and creates this mass, it’s a dangerous thing – not only for the neighbourhood, but for the students as well,” said Ferro.
Old 08-16-2012 at 12:07 PM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Hey so I know this is a bit outdated, but Ive been looking online and havent found anything as to any resolution to the agruements being made by this guy Lou Ferro and his "organization" PADS against the new Phoenix. Anyone care to weigh in? Ive attached an article with his comments being made against the idea. This guy sounds like he must have gotten his law degree in a cereal box though.

Here is the link: http://www.thesil.ca/?p=4276

Here is the actual article so people can quote it in posts:

As the Phoenix continues to pursue a liquor license for the move to its new location, a few Westdale residents are taking the opportunity to push back against problems of noise and damage caused by drunken students in the area.
A group called Parents Against Drunk Students (PADS) purchased a quarter-page advertisement on page A13 of Saturday’s edition of The Hamilton Spectator, proclaiming that “McMaster Students Want More Alcohol On Campus.” The ad warned that the relocation of The Phoenix will lead to a more rowdy neighbourhood.
“What A Great Idea,” said the ad, sarcastically. “Let’s Increase The Volume Of Drunk Animal House Students Spilling Into Our West Campus Streets.” The ad claimed that the bar has the potential to “make Sterling Street a Party Street,” and made comparisons to the problems with student drinking in London and Kingston.
“It’s a group of concerned citizens that border along the boundary of McMaster University who are very afraid that students will throw eggs at their houses if their names are published. It’s happened before,” said Lou Ferro, the lawyer and Westdale resident who authored the ad, about PADS.
The Phoenix is set to move from its current spot in Wentworth House to the Refectory building, above Bridges Cafe, over the summer. The ad, though, claims that McMaster students are campaigning for “Another Bar On Campus,” not mentioning that the move will result in the closure of the current Phoenix. The new spot is closer to the centre of campus, further from the Westdale neighbourhood, and will hold a liquor license for fewer people.
“When you compare the old Phoenix to the new Phoenix, it’s a whole new situation, a whole new bar concept,” said Ferro. “The new Phoenix is a modern, heavy-duty, big-sized bar with a business plan that greatly overshadows the old bar. When you take the new bar, it’s a whole different entity. They may be calling it The Phoenix, but it’s not rising as a Phoenix. It’s rising as a whole new bar.”
The Ainslie Wood/Westdale Community Association (AWWCA), which would normally represent concerns like these of permanent residents, has not chosen to take a stance against the bar.
“I know that there are some people that, from a community point of view, are looking at it more intensely than others,” said Jay Parlar, president of the AWWCA, speaking to The Silhouette in February. “They’ve come to the Board, asking the Board for support for what they’re doing, and we can’t.”
PADS targets the Association in the ad, saying that their decision was a poor one.
“AWWCA doesn’t have any right to say anything about anything that doesn’t affect them, because it’s 200 feet from the bar that’s being affected, and most of AWWCA’s membership lives beyond the sphere on influence of this bar. It’s the Sterling and Forsythe triangle that we’re worried about,” said Ferro.
PADS appears to be a reincarnation of Westdale Against Drunk Students, which staged a rally in 2006 to campaign for the closure of TwelvEighty, then called Quarters.
“We don’t have any faith in student management of the bars,” said Ferro, explaining that students don’t have the experience needed to serve alcohol responsibly.
The Phoenix has been on campus for 43 years. In that time, the McMaster campus has always hosted two or more student bars.
“Students are students. Nobody’s arguing with their right to drink alcohol, but when a university or association puts them all in one spot and creates this mass, it’s a dangerous thing – not only for the neighbourhood, but for the students as well,” said Ferro.
This line made me laugh so hard... An association putting them all in one spot creates a mass... you mean a bar?

AelyaS, MacPack like this.
Old 08-16-2012 at 12:30 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I'm pretty sure the issue has been resolved and the Phoenix has acquired its liquor licence.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Chris23 says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 08-16-2012 at 12:55 PM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

I just wasnt sure Also was curious to know if anything came from the complaints issued by this guy. Thanks for the heads up tho!
Old 08-16-2012 at 01:42 PM   #5
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

This Lou Ferro guy needs to get a life. Both WADS and PADS have failed to achieve anything, but this guy just keeps on trying. Just a few months ago, he posted this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3AEPFZO2o

Anyone planning to drink during welcome week, watch out for this idiot.

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 08-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2012 at 01:48 PM   #6
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
This Lou Ferro guy needs to get a life. Both WADS and PADS have failed to achieve anything, but this guy just keeps on trying. Just a few months ago, he posted this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3AEPFZO2o

Anyone planning to drink during welcome week, watch out for this creep.
Why avoid him? Not our fault the guy is a stiff who is in desperate need of a beer. He showed in that article I posted that he clearly has no valid points in his arguements against us drinking. He tried claiming that we were increasing the amount of alcohol being supplied to students on campus... Yet we are simply relocating a bar, not opening another one, AND the capacity allowed at the new Phoenix is something like 20% less than what it previously was.
Old 08-16-2012 at 02:13 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Phoenix crowd is a hell of a lot more responsible than the normal bar crowd, this issue was actually discussed on here before... can't seem to find that thread. Either way, bad argument by this crappy parent group
Old 08-16-2012 at 03:02 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I seem to recall reading in the July Sil that the GSA had won. I tend to believe PADS is just Lou Ferro sitting in his basement muttering to himself furiously typing angry letters. I keep a copy of his Spectator ad on my fridge to give people a laugh when they come over xD

Edit: I just watched that Youtube clip... does that jackass realize that if he didn't antagonize people/film them without their consent (isn't that against the law?) then people wouldn't be so aggressive with him? I live in Ainslie Wood now but I lived in Westdale for three years (as a mild to moderate level partier) and never once had a problem with anyone. I'm not saying Mac students should egg the guy on like they do, but seriously. They're putting on a show for him half the time, it's nothing like a typical Saturday night in Westdale.

Last edited by Kudos : 08-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2012 at 03:52 PM   #9
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

http://www.thesil.ca/?p=4534

Phoenix wins in liquor license appeal

Eternal Fire says thanks to apples12 for this post.