MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to break an employment contract? Chopinetude General Discussion 12 05-20-2012 01:54 PM
terminate the contract ymich First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 03-05-2012 10:51 AM
Contract Liaison Officer Job Opportunity pjohnson Volunteering Opportunities 7 07-18-2011 08:01 PM
Is this good enough reason to get out of my housing contract? Ownaginatios Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 11 09-01-2010 04:27 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM

Phone Contract

Old 08-09-2013 at 10:13 PM   #1
Jennnnn

Liked: 4 Times

Phone Contract
Hi,
I am currently in a contract with bell for my cellphone. However, the phone has been giving me many issues such as suddenly deleting my texts, freezing, random shut downs, etc. It will be 2 years of the contract by mid-August. I'm just wondering if it possible to opt out of the plan or talking with them to possibly change my plan and phone without paying such a high penalty. If this has happened to anyone or know what can possibly be done about this, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013 at 10:23 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

What phone do you have?
Old 08-09-2013 at 10:56 PM   #3
Jennnnn

blackberry, worst experience.
Old 08-09-2013 at 10:56 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You have a few options:
1) Break contract, pay $$$
2) Renew contract, get new phone
3) Buy cheap phone on kijiji for <300$

Try a factory reset on your phone first to rule out the possibility of a software issue
Old 08-09-2013 at 10:57 PM   #5
Jennnnn

if I do buy a cheaper phone, what would happen to my old phone and the plan with bell?
Old 08-09-2013 at 11:00 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennnnn View Post
if I do buy a cheaper phone, what would happen to my old phone and the plan with bell?
Nothing. You can just toss the phone aside (or sell it on kijiji if you really want to) and put in your new SIM card. Just make sure the new phone is unlocked and compatible on Bell's network
Old 08-09-2013 at 11:10 PM   #7
Jennnnn

Thanks a lot for the info! Also, if i were to renew the contract and get a new phone such as the iphone, would there still be a penalty?
Old 08-10-2013 at 12:13 AM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennnnn View Post
Thanks a lot for the info! Also, if i were to renew the contract and get a new phone such as the iphone, would there still be a penalty?
I am not 100% sure on this, but no, I don't think so. There might be a fee for device balance, but again, im not totally sure.
Old 08-10-2013 at 04:38 PM   #9
Jennnnn

Okay thanks a lot!
Old 08-10-2013 at 06:25 PM   #10
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I am not 100% sure on this, but no, I don't think so. There might be a fee for device balance, but again, im not totally sure.
If you have your current carrier provide you a new "subsidized" phone, you will probably have to sign up for a new contract with them, two or three years, depending on the amount of subsidy. This is one of the strategies used by Canadian cellphone service providers to keep customers hooked to their system. If you are currently under a contract with time left, they will expect to extract the balance of your previous subsidy through continuing fees.

This is the nature of the business model of the big cellphone companies in Canada, and part of why everyone is complaining about our high rates, compared to worldwide prices.

A recent decision from the CRTC suggested that Canadian cellphone companies move to maximum two-year contracts, -- a good direction for the public. Of course, they are going to react with contracts with higher rates, to extract the subsidy back over two years instead of spread out over three. They are now trying to distract the public with a drive against increased competition.

Shop around very carefully! You can pick up an "unlocked" phone that you can use anywhere in the world with a local SIM card, but you will have to pay the price upfront. There are service providers with quite favourable plans that don't lock you in for years. Who knows how long they will last in the face of concerted aggressive attention from the big providers?
Old 08-10-2013 at 09:51 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
If you have your current carrier provide you a new "subsidized" phone, you will probably have to sign up for a new contract with them, two or three years, depending on the amount of subsidy.
Yeah, but my statement had nothing to do with that. Resigning with a different carrier was never an option. Now that 3 years have ended, she would be able to resign a 2 year, but, the plans will be terrible.