MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM

Physics 1B03

Old 06-16-2008 at 08:37 AM   #31
dj_money

Liked: 4 Times

Physics 1B03
Hey everone!

Okay, so its time to review Physics 1B03. I took this course this past year as an elective (I think!). This is also the course that...

Last edited by dj_money : 06-16-2008 at 10:01 AM.

all say thanks to dj_money for this post.

like this.
Old 06-13-2010 at 03:35 PM   #30
Shananaghens

Liked: 3 Times
I had such a hard time with physics, I never took it in grade 11 or 12, took the Physics L03 and had Nejat teaching it - I couldn't understand half the material taught, so when I took Physics B03 I had no idea what was going on - went to one lab and dropped the course haha!
Old 07-13-2010 at 06:08 PM   #31
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times
Thanks, this was really helpful!

By the way, are Simple Harmonic Motion and Waves supposed to be new to us? Because I think I covered those in summer school physics. o_o Maybe the high school physics curriculum changed?

Last edited by TheCrucible : 07-13-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: adding info to post/grammatical error
Old 07-13-2010 at 06:38 PM   #32
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times
They start those from scratch, but yes, you should have covered this in high school too.
Old 07-13-2010 at 11:17 PM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Yeah, I also covered it in high school; but like Paul said, they start from scratch. They generally do for all first year courses, or at least that was my experience of first year.
Old 04-17-2011 at 01:45 AM   #34
julian36

Liked: 1 Time
Prof. Rheinstadter is amazing. Love the course!
Old 06-26-2011 at 08:39 PM   #35
nithla55

Liked: 1 Time
Take it in the summer moe time to concentrate on it
Old 07-02-2011 at 01:56 PM   #36
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times
do you need the textbook for this course?
would i be okay without getting one?
Old 07-02-2011 at 02:21 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I used the textbook for practice questions, I found it very useful. If you don't want to buy a textbook, make friends and use theirs or find questions on the internet.
Old 07-04-2011 at 07:18 PM   #38
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
I found the textbook quite useful, although I would not recommend buying it brand new. Depending on your learning style, the textbook can offer good explanations of the concepts and provide helpful examples. Some of concept explanations may dip more into mathematical proofs than needed, but usually you can judge fairly easily what mathematical proofs may be helpful and which ones are unnecessary for the course.

In regards to professors, I had Dr. Rheinstadter. Which teacher you like best depends on your learning style; if you previously enjoyed physics and/or find yourself needing to know why you need to use a certain equation/apply a certain concept or generally want to understand why exactly you apply particular ideas to problems, then Hughes is for you. If you like structure, copying notes that follow a linear progression, powerpoints, and don't mind a cute German accent, then Rheinstadter is for you.

I wouldn't say either professor is bad, because they're both good at what they do, it's just one prof will suit some students better than others.

In regards to content, I would not say it is overtly challenging, but the application of the content definitely requires some thinking. There is no secret formula to doing well in the course: do CAPA, do practice questions, and ask questions when you need to. After doing practice problems many times, you gain an intuition in solving the typical 1B03, application-style questions. Don't be afraid to take risks when you're trying to solve problems; apply the concepts you're being taught and don't forget what you've learned from before (Be confident!!).

Take an interest in the course, or at least doing well, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Purple2309 says thanks to tatski-p for this post.
Old 08-09-2011 at 02:18 PM   #39
mike4

Liked: 26 Times
Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Wilson?
Old 08-09-2011 at 11:09 PM   #41
mike4

Liked: 26 Times
Dr. Christine Wilson...not the bio
Old 09-08-2011 at 08:19 PM   #42
mel_3

Liked: 0 Times
I would definitely recommend Dr. Hughes. She focuses on the concepts and teaches you how to approach physics questions. In class, we worked on a lot of practice questions. That was great because it gave me a lot of practice for the midterms/ exams. Make sure you do well on the Capas, they will boost your mark!
Old 09-14-2011 at 03:03 PM   #43
Aric Huang

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
Hughes is amazing from what i hear...
rheinstader was new last year, from germany, thick on the accent
i dint have rheinstader, but my friend did and he was apparently bad at explaining concepts
I had Rheinstader last year. I personally didn't think his accent wasn't hard to follow. I believe Hughes came in for a lecture or two because Rheistader was ill or something. I found that her teaching style was more engaging and interesting. However, Rheistader is approachable and willing to help students.
Old 04-04-2012 at 04:49 PM   #44
IonicBonds

Liked: 19 Times
So. Uh. I hardly think one is going to finish the entire lab book for physics; I see that Alex puts these barcode stickers on the spine of used books though. Is one permitted to use a used book obtained from a previous year physics student?

Much thanks!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search