MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM

Physics 1B03

Old 06-16-2008 at 08:37 AM   #46
dj_money

Liked: 4 Times

Physics 1B03
Hey everone!

Okay, so its time to review Physics 1B03. I took this course this past year as an elective (I think!). This is also the course that...

Last edited by dj_money : 06-16-2008 at 10:01 AM.

all say thanks to dj_money for this post.

like this.
Old 04-04-2012 at 09:45 PM   #45
krysal

Liked: 0 Times
you missed out long hours of torture and pain because you failed the midterm or left capa to last minute
Old 04-04-2012 at 11:59 PM   #46
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBonds View Post
So. Uh. I hardly think one is going to finish the entire lab book for physics; I see that Alex puts these barcode stickers on the spine of used books though. Is one permitted to use a used book obtained from a previous year physics student?

Much thanks!
i think thats fine... i know they sold used books left behind for 2 dollars or so

IonicBonds says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 04-11-2012 at 07:40 PM   #47
IonicBonds

Liked: 19 Times
I've done MasteringChemistry for Chem1A03 and 1AA3 and found it slightly tedious though rewarding; is Mastering Physics truly "optional"? Or worth it?
Old 04-12-2012 at 01:39 AM   #48
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
never heard of anyone doing masteringphysics for physics 1b03 at mac. capa is more than enough help for you to do the problems if you make a serious attempt to do them yourself. theory can be taken care of by doing the reading before lecture. seriously, read the section before the lecture because hughes was hard to understand if you didnt have a brief idea of the content. first term she would talk as if we knew everything. this is why just read like the 5-10 pages before every lecture and listen hard in lecture to understand the theory.
Old 09-05-2012 at 12:26 PM   #49
sol3
Account Disabled by User

Very interesting course, made even more so by Dr. Yavin.
This is definitely a time consuming course, but more than worth it for those of you who enjoy physics.
Old 01-02-2013 at 02:24 PM   #50
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times
Took the course in the 2012 fall term:

Course outline:
12.5% - "practical exercises" (basically the weekly 2-hour labs)
7.5% - online CAPA assignments
5% - Class activity and quizzes
25% - midterm exam
50% - final exam

Topics covered:
Uncertainties, kinematics, Newton's laws, momentum, impulse, forces, energy, simple harmonic motion, waves, interference, fluids. You also need to know basic calculus (derivatives, antiderivatives).

It looks like an easy list, but believe me, the questions for any topic can be made impossibly hard. The concepts aren't too complicated (except waves), but there's a LOT of application. The problem-solving is the hard part.

Professors:
I had Dr. Yavin, and he's great. He's very relaxed and lectures were usually not overwhelming in any sense, despite the sometimes-overwhelming course material. Yavin's a really funny guy and it's hard not to like him. He has a bit of an accent but nothing that can't be understood. A lot of people would tell you that he doesn't prepare you properly, but in my opinion those are the people who take advantage of how lax Yavin is and don't keep up with the work. (On the midterm, the average of Hughes' class was about 1% higher than Yavin's).

Hughes subbed in once, and she is very competent. I only had her for one lecture, so maybe someone else can weigh in, but she seems to be more of a 'no-nonsense, let's get this done' type of prof. She definitely seems to know what she's doing, though.

Labs:
Worst part of the course for me. They were every week unlike the chem/bio labs. They were "only" two hours, but more often then not it would take the full 2 hours and there was always at least one group who didn't finish.

That said, the labs were not "hard", just time-consuming and a little confusing. You have to have a TA check your work and sign your completion sheet before you could move on, so you generally always have the right answer. Most of the labs are completion. You get your lab book randomly checked twice over the course of the term, and an uncertainties assignment.

Of course, I had some, er, problems with the lab co-ordinator, Alex. He's kind of a condescending jerk. Some people liked him, though, so it may be just me thinking that.

Overall, the labs are an easy mark. Just keep on task for the most part and you'll be fine.

CAPA/Quizzes:
You have CAPA online assignments about once a week. The questions can range from very easy plug-and-chugs to extremely difficult. Some of the assignments can get really hard and can take hours if you do it in one sitting.

The good news is that you get 10 tries per question, so usually people get 100%. If you understand how to do all the CAPA questions, then you are probably prepared for the exam.

We had a few (3 or 4) quizzes in class, but they were very basic and easy. There are also iClicker questions rather frequently, so remember to bring that.

Evaluations:
The midterm was worth 25%. It covered everything up to momentum (no SHM, waves, etc.). there were 25 multiple choice questions, so each question was worth 1% of your final grade. The midterm was just brutal. The average was 13.01/25, or about 52.04%. I think the profs may have taken it into account, because the final was easier.

The final wasn't easy by any means, but it also wasn't impossible. I believe it was around 33 or so multiple choice questions.

Overview:
This is a difficult course. Probably the most difficult course a lot of first years will have. However, it's not impossible, especially for the physics-inclined people. There are people who have 12'd the course, so it's definitely possible.

You just have to make sure you keep up with the work and ask if you need help. Go to office hours. Honestly, some of the stuff will be near-impossible to figure out on your own if you aren't physics-inclined.
Old 03-23-2014 at 09:55 PM   #51
Patricktaf

Physics 1B03
I took this course in fall 2013. My prof was Dr. Hughes. She doesn't post anything online as far as notes so make sure you take good ones in class (textbook isn't the greatest). It took me a while to learn how to take notes in her class because she teaches differently then most profs. As far as difficulty: I had practically no prior knowledge from high school physics and I was able to make it through. The tests are hard and fairly theoretical but if you put in the hours (you have to for this one) you'll do great!
Old 06-17-2014 at 07:34 PM   #52
panda007

Can someone please tell me which textbook you used last year? I'm not the greatest at physics, so I was hoping to skim through and get an idea of what I'll have to learn next year =P
Old 06-18-2014 at 03:21 PM   #53
jorando

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda007 View Post
Can someone please tell me which textbook you used last year? I'm not the greatest at physics, so I was hoping to skim through and get an idea of what I'll have to learn next year =P
I took this class last fall with Hughes, although I'm fairly sure she and Yavin used different textbooks. We used Physics for Scientists and Engineers - 8th edition by Serway and Jewett. Isn't too hard to find a copy online (if you know what I mean).

panda007 likes this.
Old 12-25-2014 at 09:31 PM   #54
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times
how was this class last semester? any changes?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search