MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relig Studies 1b06 MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-28-2010 04:22 PM
Religon Studies 1B06 MrSmith Academics 1 06-10-2009 09:00 PM
World Religions 1B06 mos9 Academics 11 08-22-2007 09:36 PM

Physics 1B03

Old 06-26-2011 at 08:58 AM   #1
Aeria

Liked: 9 Times

Physics 1B03
Is this 12 able?

See, I'm moderately interested in this. Having a bad teacher in high school scared me off this. Despite that I got a 99 in the course. But don't let the mark fool you, he was a horrid teacher and I had to virtually do all the work myself. And plus its only high school, where you have the opportunity to score really well.

And if I do take it should I pick Rheinstader, Hughes, Nejat or Wilson?

Any info about the course is majorly appreciated. And by the way I've already looked at the course review on here.

Old 06-26-2011 at 09:04 AM   #2
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

it is 12 able but most first years tend to mess it up since they still don't know proper university work ethics well.

Aeria says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 09:06 AM   #3
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you had a 99 in grade 12 physics, you will easily get a 12 in this course. Most of the material is a review of high school and a few additional topics are covered.

Aeria says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 09:54 AM   #4
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

As long as you thoroughly understand the underlying concepts/theories, you should be able to get 10+ for sure. However, the midterms are always only 15 questions, and in order to get a 12, you will have to do fairly well on these assessments. Of course, you can always boost up your mark with CAPA and the weekly labs, but most of the students I see that are achieving 12's are the ones who do fairly well on the midterms. (Midterms can be a hit and miss...especially if you do not understand the concepts being tested) SO make sure you understand everything and you'er good to go!

Aeria says thanks to exuberant888 for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 10:02 AM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Sure, the material isn't that hard and if you keep up with the course, you should be able to do well. However, please don't get overconfident. I got the highest grade (A) in Physics in High School too, and I barely passed the course. Though I guess more of it can attribute to my negligence, the questions are no piece of cake, either.

If you're a hard worker and clear your doubts immediately, you should have no problem. I know people who for sure got a 12 in the course, since they got perfect on their midterm. Just remember, each question on the midterm is worth one percent, and each question on the final's worth 1.5%. THOSE are the things you will have to focus on!

As for prof recommendations...I'd say Rheinstadter. HE IS AMAZING!

Aeria says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 10:10 AM   #6
Aeria

I'm thinking about not doing physics and going to an MCAT prep course instead. Good or bad idea?
Old 06-26-2011 at 10:12 AM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

I'd say bad. If you're applying to med school, you need at least one Physics with a lab component (from what I've heard). I don't know, I'm not too clear on med-school requirements, though. :/ I don't know if the MCAT Prep course could stand in.

Old 06-26-2011 at 10:23 AM   #8
Aeria

The MCAT Prep course can't fill in pre req requirements but it may be able to teach me what I need to know for the MCAT itself. Physics is only needed for a few school is Canada.
Old 06-26-2011 at 10:25 AM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Oooooh, I did not know that. :/ I think it's mainly required for Ontario based schools, then.

My advice: if you don't need Physics, DON'T TAKE IT (though that's just me. If you like Physics, go for it!)

Just keep in mind which program you're pursuing second year onwards and the requirements for that.

Old 06-26-2011 at 10:29 AM   #10
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Physics was my lowest mark in high school. Physics 1B03 was my highest mark in first year university. It's all about proper work ethic, doing the CAPA problems, and making sure you understand the theories and reasoning behind everything you learn.

I had Hughes, and she was great for explaining the theory in simplistic terms and giving you a general sense of how to approach each problem (and really, once you have a general method and understanding established in your mind, all the problems become relatively straight-forward). I found this MUCH more useful than having powerpoint slides spewed at us. However, quite a few people hated Hughes - we had to read the textbook before each class. If you want proper notes on everything, I would go with Rheinstader.

Aeria says thanks to TheCrucible for this post.

Purple2309 likes this.
Old 06-26-2011 at 11:14 AM   #11
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
Physics was my lowest mark in high school. Physics 1B03 was my highest mark in first year university. It's all about proper work ethic, doing the CAPA problems, and making sure you understand the theories and reasoning behind everything you learn.

I had Hughes, and she was great for explaining the theory in simplistic terms and giving you a general sense of how to approach each problem (and really, once you have a general method and understanding established in your mind, all the problems become relatively straight-forward). I found this MUCH more useful than having powerpoint slides spewed at us. However, quite a few people hated Hughes - we had to read the textbook before each class. If you want proper notes on everything, I would go with Rheinstader.
EXACT same case with me.. :O

Aeria says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 12:36 PM   #12
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

The content is not much different from grade 11/12 physics, large chunk of it is review. You don't even cover topics like electricity and magnetism whereas you did in high school.
Everyone has the potential to get a 12 in the class, but the problem is finding a balance between your other classes and having effective study methods. For example you might be caught up doing passive readings from the textbook when you could be doing practice problems..

Aeria says thanks to abelon3 for this post.