MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM
Old Midterm tests for Physics 1LO3? sidraH Academics 3 10-19-2008 10:13 PM

Physics 1B03 Midterm

Old 01-26-2011 at 02:41 PM   #1
ShesTheMan

Liked: 0 Times

Physics 1B03 Midterm
Hey Everyone!

So the first midterm is on Monday and I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice on how I should prepare for this midterm? What sort of questions to expect? The difficulty? Also if anyone has any midterms from the past that they wouldn't mind sharing, please message me!

Thanks a ton!
Old 01-26-2011 at 02:57 PM   #2
infinity8

Liked: 2 Times

Have you checked out .. http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/phys1b03/ and click on Old Tests and Exams.

I took it in the summer, but found the questions straight forward, and pretty much like those ^.

I may be wrong but I believe last year the class average was 53% on the midterm. And there were a lot of complaints about it =/

Last edited by infinity8 : 01-26-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2011 at 03:01 PM   #3
ShesTheMan

I wasn't aware of that link, thanks! Who taught you the course when you took it over the summer?
Old 01-26-2011 at 03:12 PM   #4
infinity8

Liked: 2 Times

Ken Sills, who was pretty awesome. Enjoyable demonstrations (+ labs).
Old 01-26-2011 at 03:14 PM   #5
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I'm pretty sure the average on both midterms last semester was just under 50% :/ I felt really good about my 7 in the course when I found that out...
Old 01-26-2011 at 04:04 PM   #6
Ardougne

Liked: 20 Times

I took this course in the winter of 2010. Our class average was around 80 for the first test and in the 60s for the second test. The mark you get pretty much depends on how many problems you do as practice. So do as many as you can. Redo all the capas and do all the questions in the textbook that have answers. I did all the questions on the solution manual first, because they had most of the difficult questions solved step by step. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2011 at 06:30 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardougne View Post
I took this course in the winter of 2010. Our class average was around 80 for the first test and in the 60s for the second test. The mark you get pretty much depends on how many problems you do as practice. So do as many as you can. Redo all the capas and do all the questions in the textbook that have answers. I did all the questions on the solution manual first, because they had most of the difficult questions solved step by step. Good luck!
80s and 60s?... wow... who was the prof?

last term the avgs were about low 50s for both
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:27 PM   #8
emighb

Liked: 1 Time

Hey guys,

I am a medical physics grad student who tutors physics. If anyone is looking for some extra help in 1B03, my email is [email protected]

-Brent

ShadowPlay says thanks to emighb for this post.
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:35 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think the best way is to do practice problems, but as you are doing the practice problems make sure you know understand the theory behind it. I don't know how physics was in your high school but mine was purely equation based, well we learned theory but it was needed in the kinds of questions asked. In university, I was quite surprised when there were questions based purely on theory.
Old 01-26-2011 at 07:56 PM   #10
ShesTheMan

I understand that concepts that are being applied and I don't struggle at all with any of the material covered in lectures or the CAPA questions. However, I haven't yet attempted to try practice problems from the textbook (b/c I didn't purchase a solutions manual), I will over the weekend though. Do the questions on the midterm resemble those from CAPA? Or the practice midterms posted in the link posted above? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011 at 09:00 PM   #11
polo

I took physics last semester and I'd definitely recommend doing the capa questions again, as well as the practice midterms.
Old 01-26-2011 at 10:37 PM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Rheinsttaaaddderrrr

mike4 likes this.
Old 01-26-2011
Rakim
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-27-2011 at 11:22 PM   #13
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Forget about doing the problems. Understand the physics, and how it all links together.

Then when you do the problem :

Figure out what they are askng. (do you understand what voltage is for example?)

Link what you know to what the question wants.

Create a step by step process to solve the problem.

NOTE: You don't need to do the capa. If there's multiple choice then you have to understand the concept.
Trying to solving a mathematical physics problem without knowing the physics is like trying to learn a language by reading a novel.

Last edited by Commander : 01-27-2011 at 11:25 PM.