MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PHYSICS 1B03- Question regarding CAPA ShesTheMan Academics 13 01-12-2011 01:32 PM
Physics 1B03 or 1L03 that is the question cjdzl Academics 11 01-04-2011 01:35 AM
Physics 1L03 Day 1 Question Vaidawg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-17-2010 06:25 PM
Physics 1B03 Question Due Monday! lh92 Academics 4 09-12-2010 12:13 PM
HELP!!!! QUESTION FOR Physics 1L03 Mephisto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-08-2008 03:42 PM

physics question

Old 04-24-2011 at 10:03 AM   #1
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

physics question
I'm terrible at basic physics, so I was wondering if someone could explain this question to me....

. If the same force is applied to a car as to a truck twice the car’s weight, _____________.
a. the velocity of the truck will be greater than the car after 2 seconds
b. the distance traveled in the same time will be greater for the car
c. the acceleration of the truck will be greater than the acceleration of the car
d. the acceleration of the car will be 4 times greater than the truck

thanks!
Old 04-24-2011 at 10:17 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by demelo_b View Post
I'm terrible at basic physics, so I was wondering if someone could explain this question to me....

. If the same force is applied to a car as to a truck twice the car’s weight, _____________.
c. the acceleration of the truck will be greater than the acceleration of the car

thanks!
c) Is wrong because the frictional force impedence will be greater for the truckL
Your force is F, Ff[friction]=uFn[normal force], Fn=massoftruck*g,;
So net force = Massof truck*acceleration = F-uFn
Truck gets less acceleration because higher mass subtracts more from net acceleration

a) Is wrong, as I said above ^
d) Is wrong because mass is inversely proportional to acceleration (doubling mass halves the acceleration, so a factor of 4 has no reason to be there)

Guess its b)
Old 04-24-2011 at 10:44 AM   #3
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by demelo_b View Post

thanks!
For these kind of questions i find it really helps if you just make up numbers for all the values.
So lets say the force applied for 4000N, the mass of the car can be 1000kg and since the truck is twice the weight it has to be 2000kg

So now solve for acceleration for both the car and the truck.
Car
Fnet=ma
4000N=(1000kg)a
a=4m/s^2

Truck
4000N=(2000kg)a
a=2m/s^2

So the car accelerates twice as fast as the truck. This makes c and d incorrect.
So picking between a and b, it has to be B because the car accelerates faster, this means it covers more distance in the same time.

It can't be A because the velocity of the truck cannot be larger than the car since the car accelerates faster.

Hope this helps

demelo_b says thanks to Jamalf for this post.