MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Play Zebedee General Discussion 4 12-04-2012 07:40 PM
Buying a Violin AnimeGamer31 Clubs & Groups 0 01-28-2012 02:26 PM
Why play games when you can play life instead? PHLN General Discussion 18 02-26-2011 01:56 AM
any violin players here? daliwangsun Music 2 10-16-2010 07:55 PM

How to play violin?

Old 10-14-2013 at 11:51 PM   #1
Suspect

Liked: 61 Times

How to play violin?
Sooo i wanna learn how to play the violin but i have no real training in music. Can't even read sheet music. Googled local schools(?) or institutions i guess, looked at the rates and said #@&$ that. So i was wondering if there was some music club on campus where i could learn.
Old 10-15-2013 at 12:08 AM   #2
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Violin is a very difficult instrument to start out with. Much more so than piano and guitar. There are no frets like in a guitar, so you need a tonne of help with tuning. I wouldn't look into a club, that will never work. Your best bet is a teacher, but a shitty beginning teacher will fuck you over for later on. Bad hand position/bad tuning --> you'll never sound good, until you break those habits. Try finding a music major who has experience teaching beginners.

Suspect likes this.
Old 10-15-2013 at 12:23 AM   #3
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

McMusic Together is exactly what you're looking for! They have teachers for a wide variety of instruments that teach for free. The deadline for their lesson registration was last week but I'm sure they'd consider you if you email them at [email protected] l.com. They're a friendly bunch!

Keep in mind that you need your instrument (except if you're learning piano). Maybe you can borrow a violin from the music department (unlikely unless you're in an orchestra, but might as well give it a shot) or check out the music rental places around Hamilton.

Violin and string instruments are definitely more difficult initially than piano and winds because of intonation, bow control, and left-hand articulation.

Suspect says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.