MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shadowing a program Ziggi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 05-01-2011 03:53 PM
shadowing? manap3000 Academics 9 07-30-2010 10:54 AM
Shadowing Honours Biochem GuitarHero Academics 9 06-17-2010 08:55 PM
"Shadowing" a program question Rakim Academics 7 06-04-2010 07:47 PM

PLEASE HELP!!! (about shadowing a program)

Old 08-08-2011 at 02:17 PM   #1
Bubblemarble

Liked: 0 Times

PLEASE HELP!!! (about shadowing a program)
Hi everyone, or to those who have done this before, does shadowing a program ONLY applied to the same programs in the same faculty?

Let me clear up my question a little bit.
So, I was in a math program under the faculty of *science and at the end of the academic school year, I didn't get the permission to continue taking that program because my CA is below the cut off line. I was offered two other programs during the second year program choosing session. Which is MATHEMATICAL SCIENCE and B.A of ECONOMICS.

I chose B.A of ECONOMICS (faculty of social science) instead of MATHEMATICAL SCIENCE but what I really want it to get back into the math program that i took in the first year.

then i read something about shadowing a program, but i''m not sure can I shadow a program of another faculty because in the faq sheet provided by mac, it says:

Q: What happens if I do not meet the admission requirements for a Level II program?
A: ...you may be eligible for one of the B.Sc. Programs (Environmental Sciences, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physical Sciences).
In both situations, you will have the opportunity to ‘shadow’ the program requirements for the Honours program you desire.

So, am I screwed? is MATHEMATICAL SCIENCE the only way to get back into that program i wanted?

Last edited by Bubblemarble : 08-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2011 at 03:05 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblemarble View Post
Hi everyone, or to those who have done this before, does shadowing a program ONLY applied to the same programs in the same faculty?

Let me clear up my question a little bit.
So, I was in a math program under the faculty of social science and at the end of the academic school year, I didn't get the permission to continue taking that program because my CA is below the cut off line. I was offered two other programs during the second year program choosing session. Which is MATHEMATICAL SCIENCE and B.A of ECONOMICS.

I chose B.A of ECONOMICS (faculty of social science) instead of MATHEMATICAL SCIENCE but what I really want it to get back into the math program that i took in the first year.

then i read something about shadowing a program, but i''m not sure can I shadow a program of another faculty because in the faq sheet provided by mac, it says:

Q: What happens if I do not meet the admission requirements for a Level II program?
A: ...you may be eligible for one of the B.Sc. Programs (Environmental Sciences, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Physical Sciences).
In both situations, you will have the opportunity to ‘shadow’ the program requirements for the Honours program you desire.

So, am I screwed? is MATHEMATICAL SCIENCE the only way to get back into that program i wanted?
Nope. Shadow means "take the same courses as if you were in the program and applying for it next year"

So as long as at the end of the year you have the courses you need to transfer and decent marks, you can shadow successfully with any actual program while in any other. The only prob is some courses might only be offered to those in math, or those in the faculty of science. You\ll need waivers for those (if there are any).

The FAQ suggests staying the the same faculty because of the reasons I mentioned above, but there are no actual rules I know of working against you.

Hope that helps.

You can also try emailing the faculty. I know I picked a program I decided I didnt want during the summer and emailed, got transfer before second year even started.

Last edited by britb : 08-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Bubblemarble says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 04:20 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

It can be easier to shadow from the same faculty if courses have restrictions. Shadowing isn't an official status though, so there are no official rules about it.

Also, what math program in the social science faculty were you in?

Bubblemarble says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 05:24 PM   #4
Bubblemarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
It can be easier to shadow from the same faculty if courses have restrictions. Shadowing isn't an official status though, so there are no official rules about it.

Also, what math program in the social science faculty were you in?
I was in maths and stats.
So, that means i can still shadow the program even i'm in econ, right? I have all the prerequisite for second year maths and stats' mandatory courses and I don't think there is any restrictions...
Old 08-08-2011 at 05:28 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
So, that means i can still shadow the program even i'm in econ, right? I have all the prerequisite for second year maths and stats' mandatory courses and I don't think there is any restrictions...
Oh...I thought math & stats was science faculty?

And yes, as long as you meet the requirements for the courses, you can take them. If there are any you don't meet requirements for, you can try getting a waiver, but that doesn't always work.

Bubblemarble says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 05:31 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Oh...I thought math & stats was science faculty?

And yes, as long as you meet the requirements for the courses, you can take them. If there are any you don't meet requirements for, you can try getting a waiver, but that doesn't always work.
It is part of the science faculty.

Bubblemarble says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 05:37 PM   #7
Bubblemarble

Quote:
oops, I wrote social science but i meant science...