3rd Year Poli Sci Courses crazyfree Academics 3 05-27-2011 02:01 AM
easy poli sci courses??? magicalland Academics 8 03-20-2011 11:48 AM

Poli-Sci, Cmst, or Geo courses w/o Exams

Old 12-11-2012 at 06:07 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Poli-Sci, Cmst, or Geo courses w/o Exams
I'm looking to get an idea of which courses from Poli Sci, Communications Studies, or Geography, don't have an exam. They would have to be second term courses for general studies (i.e. not "Geography Internship", or some 3rd or 4th year course with a massive field-trip and/or group component). "No exam" won't make or break my decision to take a course, but it may factor into my decision.

While I highly encourage people to choose courses they like, I actually find myself interested in a lot of courses from these departments, as complimentary studies, so this may be helpful to narrow down my selection :s .

Any shared experiences would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012 at 07:48 PM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Does is matter what year? I've only ever had one course without an exam, and it was a Creative Writing class.
Old 12-11-2012 at 10:06 PM   #3
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I took Music 2II3 which is a cross list for CMST 2R03 as my Complementary Studies Elective, it does have an exams, but I found it really interesting and not that difficult...show up to lecture, take down notes, regurgitate notes on tests and exams, nice break from my eng courses

Edit: I just checked the timetable, its not offered in the second term this year. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'm looking to get an idea of which courses from Poli Sci, Communications Studies, or Geography, don't have an exam. They would have to be second term courses for general studies (i.e. not "Geography Internship", or some 3rd or 4th year course with a massive field-trip and/or group component). "No exam" won't make or break my decision to take a course, but it may factor into my decision.

While I highly encourage people to choose courses they like, I actually find myself interested in a lot of courses from these departments, as complimentary studies, so this may be helpful to narrow down my selection :s .

Any shared experiences would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012 at 11:15 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Year doesn't matter so much. There's a lot of flexibility in Eng & Society. I have Geog 1HA3, 2UI3, and 2LI3 under my belt, so I have some prerequisites too.

I'd take it as a bonus to not have to regurgitate much next semester... That's why I'm looking. I want to focus my efforts on studying / understanding some core concepts that will be coming up in Civil for me.
Old 12-13-2012 at 08:11 AM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

Nothing eh? No lighter-course loads in any of these Poli Sci, Geo, or Comm Studies courses?
Old 12-13-2012 at 08:29 AM   #6
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

There's a health sci course available for all majors that has no exam...I believe it's called Health Sci 1PA3.

There is reviews on this course and I'd check them out if I were you.
Old 12-13-2012 at 04:33 PM   #7
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Nothing eh? No lighter-course loads in any of these Poli Sci, Geo, or Comm Studies courses?
I've never had a Political Science course that doesn't have at least one exam. And the ones that don't just substitute with a take-home anyhow.
Old 12-13-2012 at 07:50 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Any 2nd year ones that aren't overly heavy? I'm actually really interested in the content... Especially:

POL SCI 2F03 POLITICS, POWER AND INFLUENCE IN CANADA
and
POL SCI 2J03 GLOBAL POLITICAL ECONOMY

not so much 2xx3...
Old 12-14-2012 at 12:12 AM   #9
campbekn

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Any 2nd year ones that aren't overly heavy? I'm actually really interested in the content... Especially:

POL SCI 2F03 POLITICS, POWER AND INFLUENCE IN CANADA
and
POL SCI 2J03 GLOBAL POLITICAL ECONOMY

not so much 2xx3...
2J03 is great but there is definitely an exam. You're best to look at third year poli sci courses if you're looking to get away from exams, most of them that I've taken don't have them. Try Pol Sci 3J03, it has a take home (but you may have to be in the program to take that one since it's an honours seminar).
Old 12-14-2012 at 12:19 AM   #10
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

2J03 and 2XX3 are both great classes, I really enjoyed them both. But you'll pretty much always see exams in 2nd year classes, and in poli sci they'll all be written exams too.
Old 12-14-2012 at 07:33 AM   #11
mike_302
Elite Member

Ah, an exam would probably not be the worst thing in the world. A heavy course load leading up to it would be I'll see if there are any reviews on those 2 courses. If not, I'd appreciate some input on the course loads.
Old 12-14-2012 at 11:41 PM   #12
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

2J03 is guaranteed to have a 10-12 page essay in addition to a completely written (think 2-3 short answers plus at least 1-2 essay style questions) final exam. Also, there's a quiz and essay proposal. Is that something you'd want to handle?

I took 2J03 last year and thought it was decent-not my favorite class and it can get pretty dry if you have no interest in international economics...
Old 12-15-2012 at 08:21 AM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Nope! Absolutely not my interest Thank you!