MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone review 3rd year Life Sci courses? tylerearl General Discussion 6 05-29-2011 05:01 PM
3rd Year Poli Sci Courses crazyfree Academics 3 05-27-2011 02:01 AM
Go review the classes you took this year! Alchemist11 Academics 2 05-01-2011 02:52 PM
2nd Year Poli Sci theKING Academics 1 05-07-2010 10:53 AM

Poli Sci second year course Review?

Old 06-20-2011 at 03:36 PM   #1
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

Poli Sci second year course Review?
I'm going into my second year of poli sci and took a bunch of courses which seemed to be relatively interesting in the undergrad calender. I noticed none of them were covered in the MI course review though. I was just wondering, (if you've taken them) what was your opinion of these courses? What was the marks breakdown? How difficult or hard did you find the class? Was it the same sort of tutorial format as 1G06?

The courses i took were 2J03, 2I03, 2F03 , and 2O06 (which was mandatory i think)
Old 06-20-2011 at 03:58 PM   #2
SloaneT91

Liked: 3 Times

I'm going into my third year of the h. political science and I've taken all but one of the courses you've mentioned...

2O06 - is mandatory and extremely painful. You'll study political theory books from Machiavelli to Plato. One tip I'll give that saved my life through that class was sitting in the first couple of rows during lecture. It'll help you pay attention and hear the prof. The overall class isn't hard if you keep up with the readings and take your notes. Regardless, you've gotta do it so just stay on top of it or else it just gets frustrating.
The course is broken up into two different sections since it's full year. The first half was taught by a different professor than the last.
Mark break down -
- One essay first semester (mine was due at the end of November)
- One essay second semester (mine was due at the end of March)
- Final Exam - covers the entire year's worth of readings - just make sure you're familiar with the main themes of the books you study (you'll get more details but the review is pretty straight forward)
- Tutorial participation and attendance as well.

2I03 - is really, really interesting. It was probably my favourite class this past year. Also, make sure you sit really close because the lecture overheads are really long and the font is so small its almost invisible. The content is also interesting and the prof is amazing and extremely smart. I'd for sure recommend staying in this course. Again, easy to get a good mark if you stay organized.
Mark break down
- One small test worth 10% or something like that (it was like 10 multiple choice questions) super easy if you review the notes. I think the majority of the class who went to lecture and read the readings got 10/10. It's also only a couple of lectures in so there wasn't much material to cover. It was an easy mark booster.
- One essay worth 40% I believe.
- Final Exam - I can't remember what it was worth (30% I think)
- Tutorial attendance and participation (20%)

2J03 - was the course that was "recommended" to take after the 2I03 (at least that's what I was told). As for the prof, I wasn't really a fan (Mustapha?). I got through the course fine without even going to lecture because it was a waste of time. The power points were the readings regurgitated - literal sentences put onto a power point. The content and the terminology were very similar to 2I03 so if you take both, it'll be easy to get a good mark because you'll be familiar with the terms and way of thinking. The content has the ability to be interesting, but I just found the prof boring.
Mark break down is the exact same as 2I03.

If you're looking to buy the text books for these classes let me know, I have all of them except for the 2F03 because I didn't take that course last year. There's about 8-10 different books for 2O06 that I bought all brand new. 2I03 and 2J03 textbooks were also bought brand new. Good deals!!!

Let me know, and good luck!

MCMashetty says thanks to SloaneT91 for this post.

MCMashetty, oranges like this.
Old 06-20-2011 at 04:04 PM   #3
MCMashetty

Thanks so much! This will definitely help me out. How much are you selling the text books for?
Old 06-20-2011 at 04:10 PM   #4
MCMashetty

Wait. There are 8 to 10 textbooks for 2O06? o__O