MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Letter Writing: 2 Job Applications A Week For 50 Years---job Hunting 1957-2007 RonPrice Volunteering Opportunities 0 06-24-2010 02:02 AM
Police arrest ANOTHER flasher in Westdale Kathy2 General Discussion 10 06-22-2010 05:48 PM
Flasher loose in Westdale .. again Kathy2 General Discussion 59 06-17-2010 08:57 PM
York U Hunting for Undergrads lorend Academics 23 06-24-2009 03:23 PM
Group of Housemates: House Hunting anjali General Discussion 3 01-15-2008 06:27 PM

Police hunting for flasher in Westdale

Old 05-25-2010 at 09:45 PM   #16
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Maybe, but is it so horrendous and insulting and disgusting that it warrants police and laws and fines and shit?

I would not mind a society in which we were free to walk around naked. IDK when/where/why nakedness became taboo.

I just don't see the big deal if all of a sudden people started walking around naked all the time. No need to put these things on a pedestal. We all know what they look like, body parts aren't (and shouldn't) be offensive to anyone, and it's not like just because someone's naked means everyone's going to lose all sense of control and just want to ravage any and everything in sight.

(yay i care about something, lolol)
Sorry Lawley, I have to disagree with you on this one. To an extent, at least; I'm sort of conflicted.

On one hand, I believe in balance. If men can walk around shirtless, why can't women? The problem lies in the fact that I think it's too late to reestablish what's considered taboo and what's not. We may as well try to convince the Americans to use the Metric system.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225850121971

I think shirtlessness is already legal in a few states and provinces, but as the article suggests it'll be tough to pretend it's not a big deal to see a topless woman walking down the street.

With respect to full nudity, ie. genitalia included, I also think that the taboo helps keep things sacred. And yes, I know that sounds terribly lame.

The absence of something only strengthens the presence of it. We all know what each others' body parts look like, but it just seems so much more ceremonious when we're exposed to them with their own eyes. Do you think pictures of the Northern Lights create the same sense of awe that they do in person? Or if you saw the Northern Lights every night, would you really find them as awesome every time?

And I'll be the first to say it: As a straight male, I think a lot of girls look better with clothes than without. I find the thrill of the chase more satisfying than the glory of the catch.

...Not to say I don't enjoy the catch.

So I guess you're right in saying that no one should ever actually be offended by body parts, and I agree that being naked all the time has little relation to the rape rate or anythng, but for my own reasons, I'd prefer if people kept their clothes on.

adrian, lawleypop like this.
Old 05-25-2010 at 09:52 PM   #17
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I think shirtlessness is already legal in a few states and provinces, but as the article suggests it'll be tough to pretend it's not a big deal to see a topless woman walking down the street.

And I'll be the first to say it: As a straight male, I think a lot of girls look better with clothes than without. I find the thrill of the chase more satisfying than the glory of the catch.
I thought it was legal in Canada a long time ago for women to walk around topless.

And maybe you just haven't seen the right girls without clothing.
But really, seems like you're just putting women or just sex, on a pedestal man. (no offense women)
Old 05-25-2010 at 10:09 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Sorry Lawley, I have to disagree with you on this one. To an extent, at least; I'm sort of conflicted.

On one hand, I believe in balance. If men can walk around shirtless, why can't women? The problem lies in the fact that I think it's too late to reestablish what's considered taboo and what's not. We may as well try to convince the Americans to use the Metric system.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225850121971

With respect to full nudity, ie. genitalia included, I also think that the taboo helps keep things sacred. And yes, I know that sounds terribly lame.

The absence of something only strengthens the presence of it. We all know what each others' body parts look like, but it just seems so much more ceremonious when we're exposed to them with their own eyes. Do you think pictures of the Northern Lights create the same sense of awe that they do in person? Or if you saw the Northern Lights every night, would you really find them as awesome every time?

...Not to say I don't enjoy the catch.

So I guess you're right in saying that no one should ever actually be offended by body parts, and I agree that being naked all the time has little relation to the rape rate or anythng, but for my own reasons, I'd prefer if people kept their clothes on.
Oh, you're right, for most people it would be the greatest day of their lives to see a woman walking down the street topless. But if everyone started doing it, it would lose it's appeal. And it would lose the (arbitrary) shock value that's attached to it.

I don't see the body as sacred or something to admire. This is what I mean by putting things on a pedestal. I mean yea, what would our society be without making nudity taboo? clothing, health problems, any sort of product that uses sex appeal. I just think it's bullshit that I can't walk around naked because someone somewhere made everyone believe that the body is way more amazing and mystifying than it actually is.

Bit of a tangent but: Is it wishful thinking to theorize that if the admiration of the human body ceased then so might all these problems related to weight and body image?

Also, I was talking about this with someone like a week ago... Apparently it IS legal for women to walk around topless. Can someone confirm?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Entropy likes this.
Old 05-25-2010 at 10:13 PM   #19
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
I thought it was legal in Canada a long time ago for women to walk around topless.

But really, seems like you're just putting women or just sex, on a pedestal man. (no offense women)
This is true I think.
Old 05-25-2010 at 10:48 PM   #20
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
This is true I think.

It is... it actually became highly publicised around the Toronto area by a woman named Lori Fay from Port Dover.. she always walked around topless; and people we trying to make a stink about it... turns out, they couldn't do a thing.

Go down to Dover on a Fri 13th in the summer and you'll see a huge rise in the amount of females shirtless in comparison to men.

As for the overall discussion about flashing and nudity.

I agree, nudity should not be disgusting or perceived as wrong. Nudity is natural.
However, flashing has a deviant edge to it. The idea of flashing is because these people get a twisted sexual gratification by putting another person in a position of molestation to some extent. A flasher does so, because they find amusement and pleasure from 'disgusting' that other person. That is where nudity becomes wrong, putting someone else into an uncomfortable/threatening position, on purpose, to gain sexual pleasure for oneself.

Entropy, lawleypop like this.
Old 05-25-2010 at 11:33 PM   #21
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I'm only human, but would you really go as far as to say that not sleeping with anyone I have the opportunity to is me putting women on a pedestal? What happened to stuff like gentleman-ness and formality? In the culture of near future, will I have to apologize for showing DEM BITCHEZ common respect?

About the clothes thing: I think it might be best if I provided an example.

Angeline Jolie is commonly regarded as, at the very least, a moderately good-looking woman. We've all seen her in scantily clad and/or tight-fitting outfits before, but is it really a big deal when she does a nude scene? It's something that almost every guy says they want to see, and the years of teasing via PG-13 films help build up suspense, but once they get it, it's just like, so what? We got exactly what we expected. (Apologies for the run-on sentence.)

Quote:
I don't see the body as sacred or something to admire. This is what I mean by putting things on a pedestal. I mean yea, what would our society be without making nudity taboo? clothing, health problems, any sort of product that uses sex appeal.
Hm...I suppose "sacred" is a bit of a strong word, but I hope the point still stands. I also don't think I'm putting anything on a pedestal, but I guess that's something only others can decide.

Quote:
I just think it's bullshit that I can't walk around naked because someone somewhere made everyone believe that the body is way more amazing and mystifying than it actually is.
Well...you can. And of course you don't have to share the same beliefs that everyone else does (though obviously, you're the last person who needs to be told that =p). Also, according to the posts here, there's nothing illegal about it, but you may get pinged for being a distraction.

Quote:
Bit of a tangent but: Is it wishful thinking to theorize that if the admiration of the human body ceased then so might all these problems related to weight and body image?
"Admiration" is another word that's being used strongly here. Are we forced to hide our bodies because they're to be admired? I don't think so, but that's a different discussion. I'm suffering from minor lethologica at the moment though so perhaps my messages are being misinterpreted.

You raise a good point though: if we could go back in time and change history so that this "admiration" was abolished, perhaps the body image issues wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
Go down to Dover on a Fri 13th in the summer and you'll see a huge rise in the amount of females shirtless in comparison to men.

As for the overall discussion about flashing and nudity.

I agree, nudity should not be disgusting or perceived as wrong. Nudity is natural.
However, flashing has a deviant edge to it. The idea of flashing is because these people get a twisted sexual gratification by putting another person in a position of molestation to some extent. A flasher does so, because they find amusement and pleasure from 'disgusting' that other person. That is where nudity becomes wrong, putting someone else into an uncomfortable/threatening position, on purpose, to gain sexual pleasure for oneself.
*checks calendar*

So is it agreed we'll have an MI gettogether at Dover on August 13th?

I kid, I kid.

I didn't think about it this way before, but you're right when you say nudity itself isn't too bad, but the act of flashing has bad connotations and is only done to shock or surprise people for some strange self-gratification.

Ahh long post. Brb sleep though 'cause I have an OB midterm in like eight and a half hours. :(

lawleypop likes this.
Old 05-26-2010 at 12:07 AM   #22
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I'm only human, but would you really go as far as to say that not sleeping with anyone I have the opportunity to is me putting women on a pedestal? What happened to stuff like gentleman-ness and formality? In the culture of near future, will I have to apologize for showing DEM BITCHEZ common respect?
no there's nothing wrong with it. but when you say...sacred...yeah lol.

and having sex doesn't make you any less of a gentleman than someone who chooses not to.

Last edited by TTHX : 05-26-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2010 at 08:52 AM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Haha when I say walk around naked, I just don't mean topless. ;D

You both raise solid points though. And yea, if I were to flash someone, it WOULD be because I enjoy making people uncomfortable (although I wouldn't get sexual gratification out of it )

Old 05-26-2010 at 09:53 AM   #24
kanthamd

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:

I think it's something like anywhere that it is legal for a man to walk around shirtless, then it is legal for a woman to as well.

And there's nothing wrong with the nudity... It's just a little creepy to just show someone random your junk and runaway. I really hope he isn't trying to grab at people too.

Last edited by kanthamd : 05-26-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2010 at 11:09 AM   #25
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

http://thespec.com/News/Local/article/775974

Too late, kids, fun's over. They caught the flasher.
Old 05-26-2010 at 11:43 AM   #26
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
http://thespec.com/News/Local/article/775974

Too late, kids, fun's over. They caught the flasher.
Now he can flash himself in jail... sure the other prisoners would like that haha, ah that's terrible.

If only they could do something about the masturbators on toronto trains.
Old 05-26-2010 at 12:20 PM   #27
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
If only they could do something about the masturbators on toronto trains.
Yeah, like get them off or something.

Old 05-26-2010 at 12:21 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Hahaha. ^

Old 05-26-2010 at 02:01 PM   #29
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Yeah, like get them off or something.
Jerk them around a bit, maybe cause them to erupt prematurely in frustration.
Old 05-26-2010 at 04:48 PM   #30
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Okay seriously, one guy flashing?

What is the difference between him flashing all at once, or the hoochies wandering around wearing almost nothing, labia hanging out, boobs popping out, and whatever is covered is so tight that you can clearly see the rest. Mesh man whore shirts. Tight pants, short shorts. Hell even the shorts+boxer combo, easiest way to see a nut. If we are talking about keeping bodies covered, we should be looking at everyone.

Wont anyone think of the children?

Last edited by Rossclot : 05-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.