MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Is it possible to take a second year course in first year?

Old 05-21-2010 at 07:18 PM   #1
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Is it possible to take a second year course in first year?
I've heard it is, but I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this. If it is possible, I'm assuming it's not recommended.

If you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because I want to take Biology 2A03 without having Physics 1B03 (I hate physics). Unfortunately for me, starting in 2011-2012 (which is when I'll be in second year) 1B03 will be mandatory for that course. So it'd be nice if I could work my way around that.

Of course, that would mean that I'd have three biology courses in one year, one of which is a second year course. That's an issue for another time, though. >.>
Old 05-21-2010 at 07:26 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
I've heard it is, but I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this. If it is possible, I'm assuming it's not recommended.

If you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because I want to take Biology 2A03 without having Physics 1B03 (I hate physics). Unfortunately for me, starting in 2011-2012 (which is when I'll be in second year) 1B03 will be mandatory for that course. So it'd be nice if I could work my way around that.

Of course, that would mean that I'd have three biology courses in one year, one of which is a second year course. That's an issue for another time, though. >.>
It's not recommended since there are various things that are assumed knowledge for first years (expectations for assignments, previous knowledge etc) that you don't have as a first year.

Is Physics 1B03 a pre-req for Bio 2A03? Or strongly recommended?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-21-2010 at 07:31 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

You can't take Bio 2A03 without first passing Bio 1A03 and Bio 1M03. As for Physics 1B03, it's credit or registration. So you don't need to have completed it already, you can take it at the same time. But unless you can take Bio 1A03 and Bio 1M03 in the same term, you won't be able to take Bio 2A03. In my year, Bio 1M03 was ONLY offered in term 1 and Bio 1A03 was ONLY offered in term 2.

oranges likes this.
Old 05-21-2010 at 07:43 PM   #4
oranges

Physics 1B03 is a pre-req as of 2011-2012.

And yeah, that's true. So I guess I could take Physics 1L03 in first year (since I didn't take grade 12 physics) and then Physics 1B03 in second year, along with Bio 2A03. I think that'd be less painful than taking two bio courses in one term, haha. Thank you both for the advice.
Old 05-21-2010 at 07:47 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

If there isnt a prerequisite, you can. If its "recommended", you can. If its firmly a prerequisite, you cannot.
Old 05-21-2010 at 07:48 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Physics 1B03 is a pre-req as of 2011-2012.

And yeah, that's true. So I guess I could take Physics 1L03 in first year (since I didn't take grade 12 physics) and then Physics 1B03 in second year, along with Bio 2A03. I think that'd be less painful than taking two bio courses in one term, haha. Thank you both for the advice.
I know it's a prerequisite, but just because it's a prerequisite doesn't means you HAVE to take it before. The undergraduate calendar clearly states that it's credit or registration.

What is confusing is that you can take Bio 2A03 in term 1 and Physics 1B03 in term 2. As long as you are registered in the course. I would assume that you HAVE to pass Physics 1B03 in order to pass Bio 2A03 though.

I would highly suggest not pushing yourself too hard in terms of difficulty in courses for first year. You'll want to make sure you get good grades in all your prerequisites and overall in general. You'll also want to socialize and have fun.

What you planned is good.
Old 05-21-2010 at 07:56 PM   #7
oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I know it's a prerequisite, but just because it's a prerequisite doesn't means you HAVE to take it before. The undergraduate calendar clearly states that it's credit or registration.

What is confusing is that you can take Bio 2A03 in term 1 and Physics 1B03 in term 2. As long as you are registered in the course. I would assume that you HAVE to pass Physics 1B03 in order to pass Bio 2A03 though.

I would highly suggest not pushing yourself too hard in terms of difficulty in courses for first year. You'll want to make sure you get good grades in all your prerequisites and overall in general. You'll also want to socialize and have fun.

What you planned is good.
Whoops, sorry, that first statement was directed to lorend. Guess I should have quoted. You can tell I'm new to this site. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 05-21-2010 at 08:03 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Whoops, sorry, that first statement was directed to lorend. Guess I should have quoted. You can tell I'm new to this site. Thanks again for the advice.
That's ok. Quoting is nice, if you need to quote multiple people then you just click multi, it'll turn green. Click multi for all the posts you want to quote and then click quote on one of them.

lorend likes this.
Old 05-21-2010 at 08:15 PM   #9
oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's ok. Quoting is nice, if you need to quote multiple people then you just click multi, it'll turn green. Click multi for all the posts you want to quote and then click quote on one of them.
Oh, that's a cool feature. I'll be sure to use it next time. Thanks once again for the tip.
Old 05-21-2010 at 08:56 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Two bio courses in one term is not unusual...actually, in the upper years, you might have three or four, depending on how you set things up.

I did both the first year bios in the same term and it was not bad at all. 1A03 was a joke to me, and 1m03 was good, but ruined by PBL.

I know a few people who took a third year religious studies course in first year, since it didn't have any prereqs, but I don't know how well they did, so it is possible, at least in that faculty.
Old 05-21-2010 at 09:40 PM   #11
oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Two bio courses in one term is not unusual...actually, in the upper years, you might have three or four, depending on how you set things up.

I did both the first year bios in the same term and it was not bad at all. 1A03 was a joke to me, and 1m03 was good, but ruined by PBL.

I know a few people who took a third year religious studies course in first year, since it didn't have any prereqs, but I don't know how well they did, so it is possible, at least in that faculty.
Hmm... I was thinking about that. I enjoy bio, so it probably wouldn't be as painful as I suggested earlier.

I'm gonna have to do a lot of thinking over the next five or so weeks. :\
Old 05-21-2010 at 09:45 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hmm... I was thinking about that. I enjoy bio, so it probably wouldn't be as painful as I suggested earlier.

I'm gonna have to do a lot of thinking over the next five or so weeks. :\
Bio 2A03 is hard, the material is decent but the tests and exam were difficult. Even though you can learn the general information, you have to study extensively in order to know everything. If you ask me, I would say I know 80% even 90% of the material but my test marks definitively don't show it at all. I haven't gotten by final mark back yet, but I'm not expecting a miracle.

I would say it's the hardest second year bio course.
Old 05-21-2010 at 09:59 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

If you want to take 2a03 because you want to take upper year courses that require 2a03, consider that such courses all have options for the prerequisites. For example, for Bio 3UU3, you can take Bio 2A03 (and then also physics 1b03 and bio 1a03) OR Bio 1a03, Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3. The latter option allows you to avoid taking physics, you meet the requirements and you will take two courses in a field that interests you as opposed to one. The only hard part is getting into the kin courses because they are very popular. Sorry if that is a bit confusing!

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1757.html
Old 05-21-2010 at 10:40 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
If you want to take 2a03 because you want to take upper year courses that require 2a03, consider that such courses all have options for the prerequisites. For example, for Bio 3UU3, you can take Bio 2A03 (and then also physics 1b03 and bio 1a03) OR Bio 1a03, Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3. The latter option allows you to avoid taking physics, you meet the requirements and you will take two courses in a field that interests you as opposed to one. The only hard part is getting into the kin courses because they are very popular. Sorry if that is a bit confusing!

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1757.html
I think the pain of physics 1B03 is much much much less than the pain of trying to get into Kin 1Y03 and 1YY3, not to mention that you have to use SOLAR too >.>

You also have to remember that university is very different from highschool in terms of teacher and student interactions. They won't ever be on your tail, so if you don't understand the material or aren't doing well then it is your responsibility to go to your teacher for help. Not only can they give you a 1-on-1 mini lesson, they can also give you tips on how to study for the course.
Old 05-22-2010 at 05:06 AM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

Yay, 5 bio courses in 1 term.

edit:

You shouldn't be taking second year courses in first year. Most people have a problem adjusting to the expectations of university ... it's even worst when you're jumping into a second year course with a potentially weak background in biology (depending on the high school).

Last edited by Lij : 05-22-2010 at 09:05 AM.