MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can 2nd year students select 1st year electives? Daman K Academics 8 09-08-2010 08:03 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Is it possible to take a second year course in first year?

Old 05-22-2010 at 07:33 AM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Two bio courses in one term is not unusual...actually, in the upper years, you might have three or four, depending on how you set things up.

I did both the first year bios in the same term and it was not bad at all. 1A03 was a joke to me, and 1m03 was good, but ruined by PBL.

I know a few people who took a third year religious studies course in first year, since it didn't have any prereqs, but I don't know how well they did, so it is possible, at least in that faculty.

I took a second year Poli Sci in first year, without being enrolled in 1G06. I did well with the essay component, however I got murdered on the midterm and final, so my overall mark wasn't so hot.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-22-2010 at 12:22 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yay, 5 bio courses in 1 term.
Bio is fun though, I really enjoy it.
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:36 PM   #18
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you ask me, I would say I know 80% even 90% of the material but my test marks definitively don't show it at all. I haven't gotten by final mark back yet, but I'm not expecting a miracle.
I'd agree with this, although I actually got above 80% on the last two tests (although I thought I had the material down like 100% walking in both times >.<) I found the labs to be the biggest thing dragging my mark down though. I'm very apprehensive about finding out my mark for that class.

It probably wouldn't hurt to see if its possible for you to get in though, and then go from there. I tried to take a third year physiology course without having the prerequisite (which was actually 2A03), and couldn't get the permission I needed.

I can't believe that 1B03 is going to be a prerequisite for that now though, seeing as how nothing we did is Physics related (except a bit of stuff about electrons which was all covered in Chemistry). Interesting.
Old 05-22-2010 at 02:25 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I'd agree with this, although I actually got above 80% on the last two tests (although I thought I had the material down like 100% walking in both times >.<) I found the labs to be the biggest thing dragging my mark down though. I'm very apprehensive about finding out my mark for that class.

It probably wouldn't hurt to see if its possible for you to get in though, and then go from there. I tried to take a third year physiology course without having the prerequisite (which was actually 2A03), and couldn't get the permission I needed.

I can't believe that 1B03 is going to be a prerequisite for that now though, seeing as how nothing we did is Physics related (except a bit of stuff about electrons which was all covered in Chemistry). Interesting.
Oh right, I forgot all about the labs. Yeah, they seemed easy... the marks definitively didn't show it though.

I really don't think you need a physics background like 1B03 in order to understand what is going on in Bio 2A03.
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:02 PM   #20
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I saw a lot of physics in 2A03 :/ pretty much all the circulation stuff was physics.
Also, I agree that it's likely the hardest 2nd yr bio. just in that it can hit you unawares at tests. one good thing though I think it improved my lab writing by the end..
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:06 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
I saw a lot of physics in 2A03 :/ pretty much all the circulation stuff was physics.
Also, I agree that it's likely the hardest 2nd yr bio. just in that it can hit you unawares at tests. one good thing though I think it improved my lab writing by the end..
But that's really general physics. Like, diffusion (molecules move from higher concentration to lower concentration). Except for Henry's Law, but you don't even learn that in physics. I thought circulation was more like chemistry with equilibrium equations, adding one one side of the equation causes the reaction to go to the other side. Binding of a molecule decreases its concentration in the system (because the new molecule is completely different).
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:38 PM   #22
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Actually, I guess circulation did have a fair bit of physics (although not enough to warrant 1B03 as a prereq). But compared to the amount of stuff that was included that was in Chemistry, you'd think they'd make Chem 1A03/1AA3 a prerequisite first. I know most people taking 2A03 would already have those, but some people from ArtSci or Kin probably wouldn't have.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:27 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareko View Post
All you need is basic physics, like the notion of V=IR, which is essentially

CO = MAP x TPR. And there was basic chemistry/biology about diffusion. I have a pretty weak physics background and managed to do well.
Old 05-22-2010 at 08:19 PM   #24
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I agree that Chem is way more vital, just saying that I could see where physics might be helpful is all. for example: while we didnt look too much at it the Poiseuille's law it was nice to recognize it when it came up.