MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Opting out from Dental/Health plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-25-2010 07:36 PM
Health and Dental Plan Opt-Out Deadline TODAY! crucif3x MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-30-2009 02:49 PM
Use of Dental Plan? macstudent99 General Discussion 8 05-27-2009 06:36 PM
Dental plan? jordanrogers General Discussion 7 11-27-2008 09:50 PM
MSU Dental Plan! temara.brown General Discussion 7 08-18-2008 06:13 PM

Potential Increase in Dental Plan Fees

If you have not heard the dental plan has been discussed in regards to the sustainability of the program as the amount of claims have risen above the funds gathered. This has been a growing trend over years and looks to be continuing in the future. We are unable to provide this service at the set price and need to adjust the price and benefits to address this issue. Therefore, the proposed trade would increase the fee by about $8.38 and decrease claims to $600. This is the best way to address the situation while allowing students to remain 100% covered under this plan. Other options include raising the fee by about $20 to remain at the $750 maximum claim level or keeping the price the same but decreasing coverage from 100% to 80%. The sentiment from the executive board was that students want the 100% coverage but not a huge increase in fees so we believe this is the best option.

Please post your opinions/concerns on the issue
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-01-2010 at 08:50 AM   #2
Rob Mac
Program: Mathematics & Statistics
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 14 Times
what does the dental plan cost now?
Old 03-01-2010 at 10:01 AM   #3
Quester
Faculty: None
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 6 Times
I think that's a good plan. I don't want to pay extra $20 to keep that $750 reimbursement. After all, I don't even spend that much on dentist per year. I rather get that 100% coverage.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-01-2010 at 09:41 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
I don't know. I personally would rather pay an extra 20 dollars to be covered for another cavity or filling, rather than not, and have another root canal because of a lack of attention from a medical professional and end up stuck with footing a $150 bill myself. The costs really do outweigh the benefits ($130) and it's always nice to know you're completely covered in case of an emergency (a broken tooth can happen to anybody and it requires immediate care regardless of personal dental hygiene practices)

It seems like this is a service that students really use, and depend on, for those who didn't have dental plans before this, as evidenced by the increasing demand.

While I understand and agree with the economical and accounting issues, I disagree that it's in a student's best interest to cut costs on a service they evidently need.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-01-2010 at 10:03 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mac View Post
what does the dental plan cost now?
Health and Dental combined I believe are $135

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 03-02-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2010 at 10:25 PM   #6
Boccaccio
Program: Honours Economics and Political Science
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS! (VP Athletics)

Liked: 8 Times
The fees currently administered for the two plans are

Health Plan: $45.00
Dental Plan: $95.00

The main problem currently that the amount of opt outs have increased and the amount of claims have also increased and it is no longer sustainable. I am here to gather opinions on the three options as this will be brought to the students next year and their input is valuable now
Old 03-02-2010 at 01:58 AM   #7
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce

Liked: 349 Times
I've always been curious.

How was the plan ever sustainable; I don't know if my dentist overcharges me, but if I even go for one cleaning (which I do thanks to the dental plan), it easily goes over the $95 cost of the dental plan. (AKA I benefit)

How did the insurance company ever make a profit? Do the majority of students not use it or something? Or were they being subsidized by the school or something.
Old 03-02-2010 at 08:04 AM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
The number of students who already had insurance, but didn't know they could opt out probably ran pretty high. I know quite a few first years who didn't know how to opt out, and even some upper years who missed it because the date wasn't advertised enough. I know I fell into that boat first year.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search