MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Greyhound Lockout nerual Automotive & Transportation 1 08-10-2010 02:22 PM
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Potential TA strike fasailuddin General Discussion 72 10-24-2009 10:47 PM
Potential strike... xxsumz General Discussion 136 08-28-2009 02:32 PM
Attention Potential Graduates! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-24-2008 12:23 PM

Potential Physiotherapy

Old 08-17-2011 at 06:28 PM   #1
IWannaGohere

Liked: 1 Time

Potential Physiotherapy
Hi There all You Mac Students,
I'm going to be in my last year in high school this coming September, and i'm seriously considering applying and Mac.
Anyways I was thining of becoming a physiotherapist and I know I need a masters in physiotherapy but what undergraduate degree do i need in order to get masters in physiotherapy?
plz help thanks
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:32 PM   #2
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times

Totally not my area of expertise so I`m fine grabbing my coat if another more qualified individual arrives. However, that being said I think a life science, kin degree or even health sciences degree would be more than applicable to physiotherapy. Best of luck.

IWannaGohere says thanks to Smithd37 for this post.
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:36 PM   #3
JonC89

Liked: 6 Times

An undergrad in Kin is going to help you a lot more than any other undergrad degree in science. You learn about anatomy extensively and in third year there is a course devoted to sports injuries. Hope this helps!

IWannaGohere says thanks to JonC89 for this post.
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:42 PM   #4
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

Hey!

http://www.srs-mcmaster.ca/Admission...3/Default.aspx

Heres teh admissions requirement for teh mcmaster physiotherapy program, incase you wanted to look

All it says is you need to complete any degree with a minimum B avg in your last two years.... but you do need:
  • A full or half credit in one biological or life science course with a grade of B or 75% or 3.0/4 or 8/12 or higher.
  • A full or half credit in one social science or humanities course with a grade of B or 75% or 3.0/4 or 8/12 or higher.
However, an undergrad in the kinesiology program would probably be the most helpful ... but the website does say "The degree can be in any university discipline; none are favoured." So really... it all depends on your interests, go into what you like and know you can succeed in, and get great marks. If your a science person- def. apply to the kinesiology program

Good luck!

Last edited by hamnahx02 : 08-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.

IWannaGohere says thanks to hamnahx02 for this post.
Old 08-17-2011 at 06:42 PM   #5
IWannaGohere

Liked: 1 Time

ur profile says u are a kin student was it hard to get in, is it hard to study it now?
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:23 PM   #6
JonC89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaGohere View Post
ur profile says u are a kin student was it hard to get in
I have to admit that I was worried about McMaster's acceptance because I didn't get a letter until late April so yes I would say it is one of the harder universities to get into for kinesiology (had an 84.5 average).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWannaGohere View Post
is it hard to study it now?
From my 1st year experience, I can tell you that it's mostly memorization more than anything. Very little calculations and whatnot. The work isn't hard if you spend an hour or two after class reviewing what was taught.

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:22 PM   #7
Oilenroc

Liked: 3 Times

Hey guys, I am also thinking of doing Physiotherapy in the future. I don't want to steal this thread with a question of my own, so I will try to relate it to what the original question was and maybe your answers could clarify things for him as well.

I am taking Kinesiology and going into first year this September. Based on the requirements hamnahx02 suggested,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnahx02 View Post
Hey!

http://www.srs-mcmaster.ca/Admission...3/Default.aspx

Heres teh admissions requirement for teh mcmaster physiotherapy program, incase you wanted to look

All it says is you need to complete any degree with a minimum B avg in your last two years.... but you do need:
  • A full or half credit in one biological or life science course with a grade of B or 75% or 3.0/4 or 8/12 or higher.
  • A full or half credit in one social science or humanities course with a grade of B or 75% or 3.0/4 or 8/12 or higher.
However, an undergrad in the kinesiology program would probably be the most helpful ... but the website does say "The degree can be in any university discipline; none are favoured." So really... it all depends on your interests, go into what you like and know you can succeed in, and get great marks. If your a science person- def. apply to the kinesiology program

Good luck!
would these requirements get me into physio? Or would I need to take on other things, such as take biology, chemistry, and other science related courses by the time I graduate, besides the ones listed above? I'm asking this because I don't know if I should be taking such courses to get me into physio, 2 of my electives are courses I need to do by second year to either help me with courses or as a requirement, and the other 2 are psychology courses I am taking just based on interest.

And to the OP, definitely go with Kin if your pursuing physio. That is what I am doing, as I believe it is the program that serves as a "base" for physio. Be sure to take Exercise Science in your last year of high school as that is again, the "base", for Kin.
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:41 PM   #8
JonC89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilenroc View Post
Hey guys, I am also thinking of doing Physiotherapy in the future. I don't want to steal this thread with a question of my own, so I will try to relate it to what the original question was and maybe your answers could clarify things for him as well.

I am taking Kinesiology and going into first year this September. Based on the requirements hamnahx02 suggested,

would these requirements get me into physio? Or would I need to take on other things, such as take biology, chemistry, and other science related courses by the time I graduate, besides the ones listed above? I'm asking this because I don't know if I should be taking such courses to get me into physio, 2 of my electives are courses I need to do by second year to either help me with courses or as a requirement, and the other 2 are psychology courses I am taking just based on interest.

And to the OP, definitely go with Kin if your pursuing physio. That is what I am doing, as I believe it is the program that serves as a "base" for physio. Be sure to take Exercise Science in your last year of high school as that is again, the "base", for Kin.
As long as you have a degree (for kin there are requirements such as 3 units in math, etc.) and you meet those humanities / science requirements you are in consideration for physiotherapy given that you applied to McMaster. You should research about other schools that offer a masters in physiotherapy and take those requirements into consideration for selecting your courses.
Old 08-17-2011 at 08:50 PM   #9
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC89 View Post
As long as you have a degree (for kin there are requirements such as 3 units in math, etc.) and you meet those humanities / science requirements you are in consideration for physiotherapy given that you applied to McMaster. You should research about other schools that offer a masters in physiotherapy and take those requirements into consideration for selecting your courses.
As Jon already said, it is important to look at the requirements for other schools. I found this link that could help http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/orpas/b_orpas_e.pdf . It has info on the basic requirments, cut off GPA and other non academic requirements.

http://www.physicaltherapy.u toront...ect/prereq.htm ---> This link gives you specific info on prereq courses from other universities(Mac included) that fufil the requirments for U of T's physiotheraphy program.
Old 08-18-2011 at 12:49 AM   #10
KinMan

Liked: 7 Times

If you want physio there's no other Major but Kin. It's that simple. The sports injuries course is relevant to physio but there are 4th year courses much more specific to the field.

Btw, welcome first years and good luck in your studies

Oilenroc likes this.