MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Greyhound Lockout nerual Automotive & Transportation 1 08-10-2010 02:22 PM
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Potential Increase in Dental Plan Fees Boccaccio MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-02-2010 08:04 AM
Potential TA strike fasailuddin General Discussion 72 10-24-2009 10:47 PM
Attention Potential Graduates! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-24-2008 12:23 PM

Potential strike...

Old 08-24-2009 at 06:59 PM   #1
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Potential strike...
I was just wondering how serious this problem mite become. Any insight would be helpful
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:05 PM   #2
MDCL

Liked: 29 Times

Received this email from mac today...

McMaster is currently in contract negotiations with the union representing support staff at the University. These employees are represented by the Canadian Auto Workers. Though we are continuing to negotiate and hope to reach a settlement, the union has established a strike deadline of September 1. While this does not mean there will be a strike, it is a possibility. The University will remain open and classes will continue if there is a strike.
We want to ensure that students are as prepared as possible before September 1. If a strike does occur, priority services will be maintained but office hours will be shortened and it may become difficult to get assistance without significant delays. Some non-essential services may be suspended.
If you intend to add or drop courses or modify your schedule, or if you have not yet completed your payment agreement, we strongly advise you to complete these activities before September 1. After that date, registration and other related activities may be suspended, and you may not be able to change your courses or schedule.
You may complete your registration through the following steps:
1. Log on to MUGSI and access SOLAR (which is under the ‘Academics’ button) and select your courses. (https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /cis/ahtml/login.htm)
2. Complete the Payment Agreement which is also located in SOLAR.
3. Log on to MUGSI and check your schedule – this can be found under the ‘Academics’ button and is called the ‘Undergrad Personal Timetable’.
4. If there are any conflicts in your schedule, resolve the issue(s) by choosing another section or by dropping/adding different courses.
First year students are encouraged to complete the New Student Form and submit it either in-person or via mail to the Office of the Registrar in Gilmour Hall Room 108, if you have not already done so.
You may also want to check your booklist and purchase your books. See http://titles.mcmaster.ca/
In addition, if you have applied for OSAP please ensure that you have submitted supporting documentation and signature pages, and pick up your OSAP as soon as funding has been issued according to the OSAP website. Please visit the financial aid website for details at http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/
We will be keeping students informed of key developments as we continue to negotiate with CAW. Please check McMaster’s Daily News http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca website for updates on negotiations.

Office of the Registrar
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:05 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

We just got emails from McMaster about it. Classes won't be cancelled, but it will be difficult to get a hold of office people. I would say that it will be more annoying than serious.
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:09 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I'm wondering about the textbook thing, is there a reason why we'd have to purchase textbooks now as opposed to waiting? Don't students work at Titles? How would this strike affect textbook purchases?
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:55 PM   #5
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm wondering about the textbook thing, is there a reason why we'd have to purchase textbooks now as opposed to waiting? Don't students work at Titles? How would this strike affect textbook purchases?

Maybe the people who are in charge of placing the orders for more textbooks will be on strike?
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:04 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Okay, can we be clear on WHO exactly is striking? Because support staff & Canadian 'Auto' Workers is vague and doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:11 PM   #7
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

theres a lot of auto workers on campus...don't you see them every day working on the important campus cars???

CrazyGoth, danallan like this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:12 PM   #8
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

I'm just happy my auto doesn't need work. OSAP is another matter though...
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:13 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I think it means the campus employees who may strike are represented by the Canadian Auto Workers union. I'm not sure why that is, nor does it clarify which employees will potentially be striking.
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:21 PM   #10
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
I was just wondering how serious this problem mite become. Any insight would be helpful
As if to answer your question, MUGSI is down yet again. One would really think that after five or so years of use somebody would have figured out that the current capacity isn't enough to handle the traffic that invariably comes every term.

panjh likes this.
Old 08-24-2009
ghjkghkghkgh
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:23 PM   #11
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

What if we wanted to purchase our books using our student cards? How are we supposed to buy our books if we can't get to hamilton? Frustrating ><
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:02 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If you can't drop/add your courses after Sept 1...does that mean the drop/add deadline will just...poof? Now you have no 2nd chances?

Or does it mean the drop/add will be extended beyond the normal length, until the strike remedies itself? Which means epic fail, people registering for courses 2 weeks before midterms and epic failing.
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:08 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

im still confuzzled

because i dont really want to purchase textbooks until classes start..
Old 08-24-2009 at 09:09 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

As of now, none of my courses have textbooks. :|