MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potential Greyhound Lockout nerual Automotive & Transportation 1 08-10-2010 02:22 PM
who are potential employers for engineering co-op students? jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-02-2010 08:57 PM
Potential Increase in Dental Plan Fees Boccaccio MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-02-2010 08:04 AM
Potential TA strike fasailuddin General Discussion 72 10-24-2009 10:47 PM
Attention Potential Graduates! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-24-2008 12:23 PM

Potential strike...

Old 08-24-2009 at 10:58 PM   #46
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
indeed
Also fair warning does not solve financial issues sometimes
True, but at least they can try to prepare for the worst. For example: changing their payment agreement to another type of installment or dropping their courses before Mugsi shuts down (if possible).
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:02 PM   #47
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

P.G is leaving in April of next year... he's still around for a bit. He needs to transition his successor afterall. Huzaifa is right about his ability to bring in the money. I hope his successor is just as successful, P.G. did great things for this school by getting so many donations.

To comment on the strike situation, I personally believe the CAW members are justified in striking. A two tier pension system is horrible.

We're talking about peoples pensions here. We may be here for a few years but the pension that the workers are fighting for determines their quality of life when they retire. Considering classes won't even be cancelled, the effect won't be devastating. This may get me a lot of criticism but I think the inconvenience we may suffer from a strike pales in comparison to the importance of a solid pension system for these workers.

The university was right in sending out that email though. We do need to prepare ourselves. The university negotiators submitted a final offer which still does not address the issue of a two tier pension system. The union is not going to back down on this. However, I believe they have still not had a successful strike mandate vote. Without a passing vote, there won't be any strike.

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:09 PM   #48
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
P.G is leaving in April of next year... he's still around for a bit. He needs to transition his successor afterall. Huzaifa is right about his ability to bring in the money. I hope his successor is just as successful, P.G. did great things for this school by getting so many donations.

To comment on the strike situation, I personally believe the CAW members are justified in striking. A two tier pension system is horrible.

We're talking about peoples pensions here. We may be here for a few years but the pension that the workers are fighting for determines their quality of life when they retire. Considering classes won't even be cancelled, the effect won't be devastating. This may get me a lot of criticism but I think the inconvenience we may suffer from a strike pales in comparison to the importance of a solid pension system for these workers.

The university was right in sending out that email though. We do need to prepare ourselves. The university negotiators submitted a final offer which still does not address the issue of a two tier pension system. The union is not going to back down on this. However, I believe they have still not had a successful strike mandate vote. Without a passing vote, there won't be any strike.

Soo, ummm, since I'm still a strapping young lad who hasn't yet thought of old age, can you maybetell me or direct me to something that tells me what a two tier pension system is? and what a better alternative is(what they want)? and how much more expensive it is to give it to them? Also, have they had this before, or are they demanding it now? Because this would be a crummy time to wake up an say: "Hey, we dont have pensions" as opposed to a few years ago.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:11 PM   #49
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Don't flame on me, I love McMaster, just not happy at this news
Don't worry, I'll say it first: I hate McMaster. It's been a thorn in my side for five years now. Every single year, I've had at least one or two major problems:

-Registration issues - my student card getting 'lost' in the mail, and being unable to verify my identity to write weekly quizzes for like the first 2 months...not to mention having to pay bus fare when I legally own a perfectly legitimate bus pass. In order to resolve said issue, you must go to every single building on campus at least twice on a wild goose chase. Fun times.

-Financial issues - SFAS logging down scholarships/bursaries I did not receive, resulting in a drastic decrease in my OSAP entitlement (about $1000 every year) which caused some major stress and heck, I was hungry a lot.

-Faculty discrimination - I tried to take a third year physics course as a 2nd year Kin student because it's only offered every 2 years (EDIT: I should note I satisfied all the pre-requisites)...the professor refused to accomodate me because I was, and I quote, 'destined for failure' (It's ok, he's an old geezer). So he deliberately scheduled the class when I had a conflict, because he wanted to accomodate everyone else, since they were 'higher priority'...Got a 12 in the class by the way, guess I exceeded his expectations or something.

-Scheduling nightmares (I'm probably preaching to the choir) and MUGSI randomly kicking me out of courses...happened TWICE! I didn't receive grades for my courses on two separate occasions because MUGSI said I wasn't registered (though I was officially registered according to the registrar, and my student ID sticker showed otherwise... and MUGSI had at one point, shown me as registered)

-Lack of communication - I had to 'guess' at a lot of my graduate school registration stuff...I wish I had a macinsiders for grad students, haha. Then a month or so after my payment agreement was due, they sent me an email saying "Oh by the way, you should have filled it out like this. Too bad the deadline was a month ago"

-Not to mention strike issues. Can you believe I was a TA for 4 months, and during those 4 months I had picketing duties? xD Now sure enough, history repeats itself.

Gah...I can go on and on.

--------------------------

So now people are probably going to defend Mac, and you have every right to. But I've had my fair share of problems. And now you're probably thinking "What in the crap are you still doing here?"

Mac administration has nothing to do with the quality of education / professorship / research done at the university. I love the professors, love the TAs, love the students, and love the courses.

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-24-2009 at 11:15 PM.

adrian likes this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:12 PM   #50
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Soo, ummm, since I'm still a strapping young lad who hasn't yet thought of old age, can you maybetell me or direct me to something that tells me what a two tier pension system is? and what a better alternative is(what they want)? and how much more expensive it is to give it to them? Also, have they had this before, or are they demanding it now? Because this would be a crummy time to wake up an say: "Hey, we dont have pensions" as opposed to a few years ago.
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...272 5&page=3&

The Last post by Callen!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

.:callen:. likes this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:16 PM   #51
Mushaal

Liked: 0 Times

In the email sent out to everyone today, it asked as to buy our books. In case of a strike, will all the bookstores be closed or will the working hours just decrease because my textbook list hasn't even been posted on the titles website. I don't see how they expect us to buy our books beforehand.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:20 PM   #52
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Quote:
So in a nutshell from my understanding, the university wants to move towards a defined contribution pension plan from a defined benefit pension plan. All current employees would remain on the defined benefit plan but all new hires would have a defined contribution plan.

In an employment pension plan (as opposed to a state pension or a disability pension) the money is usually invested.

An employee on a defined benefit pension plan is guaranteed a certain payout when they retire based on a fixed formula which takes into account their salary and how long they have been working.

An employee on a defined contribution pension plan will receive a payout based on the performance of their investments and how much was contributed.

There are pros and cons to each plan. Employers obviously like the defined contribution plan (there has been a huge transition towards this plan recently) because they are not obligated to pay anything to a retiring employee.

The proposal that the university is offering will put all new hires onto a defined contribution plan. Current employees are on a defined benefit plan. Hence the two tier pension system within the ranks of CAW members.

Hopefully I explained that well enough...
^^ My explanation from a previous post.

Now there are serious problems with a two tier pension system.

Most importantly. The defined benefit plan of the current employees would eventually become unsustainable. This type of plan requires new employees on the same plan coming in and contributing in order to work. A two tier system would eventually collapse because its not sustainable. As the collapsing would begin to happen, the current members on the defined benefit plan would have lower and lower retirement security because of the underfunded nature of their pension plan.

This type of system that they university is proposing just will not work. It will collapse, causing current employees to lose returns on their retirement money.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:21 PM   #53
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushaal View Post
In the email sent out to everyone today, it asked as to buy our books. In case of a strike, will all the bookstores be closed or will the working hours just decrease because my textbook list hasn't even been posted on the titles website. I don't see how they expect us to buy our books beforehand.
lol, yea, I'm not doin it. If I need a book, I'll complain to the prof and find alternate solutions.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:22 PM   #54
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Don't worry, I'll say it first: I hate McMaster. It's been a thorn in my side for five years now. Every single year, I've had at least one or two major problems:
I didn't see Student Accounts in there. It would be a comedy if it weren't such a tick-off, the silly mistakes for which they in that office are notorious.

In case anyone reads this who has not yet been messed up by Student Accounts, please listen: ALWAYS GET A DETAILED RECEIPT and ALWAYS READ IT OVER BEFORE YOU LEAVE. This has helped me before, and I'll never give up the practice.

Mowicz likes this.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:24 PM   #55
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
lol, yea, I'm not doin it. If I need a book, I'll complain to the prof and find alternate solutions.
Checking eBay and Amazon is a good idea even without problems (if your texts have been listed). Many times you can find better deals than the bookstore offers.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:25 PM   #56
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

When I first read the e-mail, I almost choked, Thank God it's not as bad as York's and classes will continue. But it's definitely something that Mac shoudl try to avoid at all costs =/ We really don't want a rep like York!

I have the same question as Mushaal, does that mean we need to get the books asap? is Titles even part of the potential strike?!
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:25 PM   #57
ghjkghkghkgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushaal View Post
I hope that the return cutoff date is extended, if a strike happens and the bookstore is closed past the current one.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:26 PM   #58
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
^^ My explanation from a previous post.

Now there are serious problems with a two tier pension system.

Most importantly. The defined benefit plan of the current employees would eventually become unsustainable. This type of plan requires new employees on the same plan coming in and contributing in order to work. A two tier system would eventually collapse because its not sustainable. As the collapsing would begin to happen, the current members on the defined benefit plan would have lower and lower retirement security because of the underfunded nature of their pension plan.

This type of system that they university is proposing just will not work. It will collapse, causing current employees to lose returns on their retirement money.
Ok, I read all that. It seems to me crazy to gamble with people's pensions on the market. Wow, just wow, what people won't do to save money.
Seriosly, this is just really stupid.

How about this better alternative: Drive pensions(from now on) down, but DONT FRIGGIN GAMBLE IT JACKASS. Why? Because at least people will at least have some pension, and you'll have your money.

Another plan: SELL THE BLEEDIN STADIUM, THERES ONE IN HAMILTON ANYWAY!!!

Sorry to any athletes, I just think that stadium was a waste of money, no matter how "proud" it makes you feel.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:32 PM   #59
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkghkghkgh View Post
I didn't see Student Accounts in there. It would be a comedy if it weren't such a tick-off, the silly mistakes for which they in that office are notorious.

In case anyone reads this who has not yet been messed up by Student Accounts, please listen: ALWAYS GET A DETAILED RECEIPT and ALWAYS READ IT OVER BEFORE YOU LEAVE. This has helped me before, and I'll never give up the practice.
I wholeheartedly agree. I forgot to mention my payment issues, haha. At least those were relatively easy to remedy with a bank statement. Debit FTW!

Now the SFAS issues...those I think hurt me the most. Literally, last year they said "You get a $900 dollar bursary!" So I spent like $400 (on my student account) on books, supplies etc...and then right before the cheques were supposed to be mailed out, I check MUGSI and it says INELIGIBLE in big red letters.

I go in and I'm like bloody hell, what the crap? (Particularly since I wouldn't have spent the money if they didn't say I'd be getting $900) Turns out they've been marking me down every year as getting a $2000 entrance scholarship (even though I only had it once and it was non-renewable) and a $750 bursary (which isn't supposed to go down as taxable income). I essentially 'made too much money.'

After correcting it, I got my $900 dollars, and an 'Oops!' for the lack of OSAP money over the past few years...least my debt is relatively small.

EDIT: LOL I mean seriously...I went in, and I was like "How can I be getting an entrance scholarship...if I'm in my final year?" and the lady didn't know what to say.

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-24-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:38 PM   #60
goldfish101

Liked: 19 Times

why would they go on a strike.. they are lucky that they have a job in this recession!