URGENT: My power is out. Penguin Mary Keyes Forum 3 09-30-2008 03:49 PM

Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms?

Old 07-02-2009 at 05:25 PM   #16
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
That's what we were wondering. I mean, we pay to be there right. She told us that she knew other professors who did it. So who knows.
I know a prof who had a no laptops rule. She said people could bring them and if we ever needed them they could take them out but we wouldn't really need them.

In all honesty I never really bring my laptop too class. It's too tempting and distracting.

I just take notes by hand, I'm a fast writer and I find it works for me. I absorb more of the information that way. Some people obviously aren't fast writers so they need to type their notes but using the internet during class is a bad idea. It is super distracting when other people around you are using it for Facebook and videos and such too.
Old 07-02-2009 at 05:32 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Indeed it is distracting. I remember when I saw someone fully watching a movie during class, it was a recent movie, definitely more than an hour. I was like, why are you in class in the first place? It doesn't make sense and you're distracting other people, how is that fair to anyone?

Some folks are just weird I guess. :/
Old 07-02-2009 at 05:34 PM   #18
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I didn't break my laptop to a single class last year. It really is just a tool for getting distracted. When facebook and youtube and twitter and msn etc. are just a click away, it's never good
Old 07-02-2009 at 05:39 PM   #19
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Indeed it is distracting. I remember when I saw someone fully watching a movie during class, it was a recent movie, definitely more than an hour. I was like, why are you in class in the first place? It doesn't make sense and you're distracting other people, how is that fair to anyone?

Some folks are just weird I guess. :/
Yeah I've seen people watching TV episodes of stuff in class. I'm like wtf, why are you here? Obviously you have no interest in the lecture and you're wearing headphones anyway, go home.
Old 07-02-2009 at 05:51 PM   #20
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I had a prof in first year try to tell me to close my laptop. We had an argument about it and I simply refused. I use my laptop to type my notes. If I dick around on it, it's my own problem cause I'm the one who's gonna fail. Mind you, I do have to admit that it can be distracting when other people are watching shit.

Also, bring a small power cord into rooms with limited plugs, you'll always get an outlet and your classmates will love you!

Old 07-02-2009 at 06:42 PM   #21
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

I'm in humanities and for the majority of where my classrooms were, there was no wi-fi at all. Pretty bad considering it's the case for multimedia classes. TSH 120 I was never able to get a signal, but I guess others were too.
I always bring my laptop to class, it's extremely convenient to type notes on. Then again I am in humanities/mmedia.
It's funny seeing rows of laptops where all people are doing is playing solitaire/facebooking.
Old 07-02-2009 at 06:45 PM   #22
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Profs being allowed to ban students from using laptops is a part of school policy now. You'll see in September that a blurb about it will be on every course outline (just like the policy on academic dishonesty).

It basically says that a prof is allowed to stop a student from using a laptop if they're using it for non academic means.
Old 07-02-2009 at 07:36 PM   #23
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
It basically says that a prof is allowed to stop a student from using a laptop if they're using it for non academic means.
Which in 99% of cases I've seen tends to be what it's being used for.
Old 07-02-2009 at 07:42 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I agree about all that stuff about students using their laptops to play games and socialize. Really stupid to go to class for that reason, especially when you paid like 600$ to be there.

But honestly, it's going to be such a waste of time if teachers are always stopping to tell students to close their laptops.
Old 07-02-2009 at 08:33 PM   #25
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Most profs dont care.. as long as your not being disruptive (playing a game with volume and sound effects)
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:03 PM   #26
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I agree about all that stuff about students using their laptops to play games and socialize. Really stupid to go to class for that reason, especially when you paid like 600$ to be there.

But honestly, it's going to be such a waste of time if teachers are always stopping to tell students to close their laptops.
Yeah really... my prof would just stop her lecture and wait for everyone to stop talking, even if it was like one or two people who were being louder than normal. It's so annoying and makes the lecture more aggravating and longer than it is already.