MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-10-2010 at 09:31 PM   #1
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Premier League 10/11
So, anyone excited for the upcoming season?
Old 08-10-2010 at 09:36 PM   #2
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

Oh yeah... It will be interesting to see big challenge for Big 4 from Tottenham, Aston Villa, Manchester City and other potential challengers.. maybe Everton. Wonder ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal can keep up with challenge.
Old 08-10-2010 at 09:38 PM   #3
danzai

Liked: 2 Times

Chicharito time! Man U for life.
Wonder how Manchester City will gel together..
Old 08-10-2010 at 09:46 PM   #4
gongshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzai View Post
Chicharito time! Man U for life.
Wonder how Manchester City will gel together..
You must be Mexican fan. His goal in Community Shield was impressive.
Old 08-10-2010 at 09:52 PM   #5
danzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
You must be Mexican fan. His goal in Community Shield was impressive.
Nah lol, jus a big-time Man Utd supporter. Never followed the Mexican team but after Man U signed him, i'm glad he had an impressive world cup.
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:04 PM   #6
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

YES!
not only Chicharito, but with Gibson, Cleverley, the da Silva twins, Chris Smalling, Jonny/Corry Evans, Nani, Anderson, Macheda, United have enough potentially top class youngsters to make this year very exciting

btw i noticed no one mentioned Liverpool, i think they could be genuine challengers for, say 5th or 6th?
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:08 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

chelsea's thrashing was awesome now they understand that last year's one point difference in the charts was simply our bad luck and they have no chance against us this season. city are talking big with their cash and their new signings, but looking at our pre-season fitness I think Manchester United are bound to dominate this season.
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:21 PM   #8
gongshow

I want ManU wingers to have peak season. (Park, Valencia, Nani, Giggs)
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:23 PM   #9
_Luu_
Elite Member

Here's my pick for the Top 7 (because picking out the Big Four does get boring):

1. Manchester United
They look pretty good so far. It's hard to pick any faults on this team, however the most glaring will be the supply of goals not from Rooney. Will the real Dimitar Berbatov please stand up? I'd hope Chicharito steps up. Because of it, expect it to be a close race between them and Chelsea, all the way to Week 38. And keep close attention to Darren Gibson.
2. Chelsea
They're without Petr Cech for a month, and backups Hilario and Turnbull haven't done well this preseason. Losing Ballack, Joe Cole, Carvalho, and possibly Deco and Zhirkov will reduce the depth of this team, and every championship-winning side over the past few years had a deep sqaud. However, I expect them to come very close this season, and that will depend on the goals and health of Drogba, Anelka, and Lampard.
3. Arsenal
Still another young side fielded by Wenger. I see them finishing third once again with the mental lapses from their back four and most notably Manuel Almunia. However, they will still be an exciting team to watch. It will be interesting to see the centre-back combo of Koscielny and Vermaelen, as Koscielny has looked impressive so far. However, I'm not too sure about Chamakh, he'll need some time to settle in.
4. Manchester City
The millions will not lead them to the title, but more like 4th place. Mancini will have a tough time picking a starting 11, and several big-money players will be left heating the benches. To say that there won't be any issues in the dressing room will be an outright lie. Adebayor may be leaving if Balotelli comes in, and can Balotelli really deliver in England? I'd rather have Ade. Expect them to make more signings in January, but rest assured Jesus Christ won't be one of them.

5. Liverpool
Roy Hodgson will get this team playing much better than last year. Torres and Gerrard will get help from Joe Cole, who will play with something to prove, and Dirk Kuyt seems to play better and better every year. Two problems remain: Will another striker step up and contribute? Can Carragher bounce back from a dismal season? Also, they'll need results against teams that are worse on paper.
6. Everton
David Moyes' men continually punch above their own weight. Without the Europa League this season, it may help the players' fitness. It doesn't seem like they'll need new signings, they'll just need less injuries and more goals. And if those two things work in their favour, don't be surprised to see them #4 at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see which strikers will contribute.
7. Tottenham
That team won't be deep enough to challenge both the Top 4 and the Champions League. The health of Ledley King will be questioned every day of the season, and with him and Woodgate having injuries, the centre-back positions look very weak. I would've put Aston Villa ahead of Spurs, but with Martin O'Neill gone Tottenham looks a much better candidate for 7th.

And the relegation favourites:
18: Wigan
I'm not too sure with this team they have. Relegation battles have been close over the years, even coming down to goal difference. So to survive, they need to stop being blown out by the top teams.
19: West Bromwich Albion
They'll need goals to stay up this season. Problem is, where are the strikers?
20: Blackpool
Sure, everyone likes a fairy tale. But this one won't last long. They'll either be brilliant until December and pull a Burnley or a 2008-2009 Hull City, or they'll do a Derby. And note that their approx. 10000-seater stadium already puts them at a financial disadvantage. There's even League One teams that have more money.

Last edited by _Luu_ : 08-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Old 08-10-2010 at 10:29 PM   #10
danzai

Nice analysis^
Berbatov will need to step up, hes got great skill no doubt..made me look bad last yr after i bought his jersey lol. Park and Nani will have breakout years hopefully. Anyone still hearing Ozil to Utd? I personally doubt it..
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:31 PM   #11
_Luu_
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzai View Post
Nice analysis^
Berbatov will need to step up, hes got great skill no doubt..made me look bad last yr after i bought his jersey lol. Park and Nani will have breakout years hopefully. Anyone still hearing Ozil to Utd? I personally doubt it..
I think Ozil will see off his contract and make himself more wanted as he'll be free next year.
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:32 PM   #12
gongshow

Berbatov was so great in Tottenham times. What happened to him when he got to ManU?? I thought he would be better at ManU with better teammates supporting him?
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:37 PM   #13
_Luu_
Elite Member

I forgot to add the rest of the teams that will fill spots 8th-17th, but I'm too lazy to analyze.

8. Aston Villa
9. Sunderland (IMO, either them or West Ham)
10. West Ham
11. Fulham
12. Bolton
13. Stoke City
14. Birmingham City
15. Blackburn
16. Newcastle United
17. Wolves
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:39 PM   #14
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I think berba was under a lot of pressure from the beginning because of the emphasis placed on him when he was signed. not all players react to debut pressure as well as chicho lol. but I have a feeling he'll be back in his game this season. I'm hoping to see some nani-kiko-chicho combinations up front though, judging by their energy and pre-season it looks great.

I'm wondering how arsenal will cope with fabregas' big barca drama. personally, I don't think a player (a captain no less) who has already made it clear his heart lies elsewhere can really put 100% into their games with their current club. we saw that with ronaldo and I think arsenal needs to start looking at other possible captains for the day when cesc actually does move.
Old 08-10-2010 at 10:46 PM   #15
camais

Liked: 30 Times

Prediction:
1. Arsenal
2. Chavs
3. ManUre
4. ManC

Relegation:
-Wigan
-West Brom
-Tottenham