MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Non-school? andrew22 General Discussion 7 01-20-2010 01:16 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

preparing for med school/ pharm school

Old 07-01-2011 at 10:46 AM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Wow, how are people able to finish all of their prerequisites and still apply by second year? Do you mean by the end of second year? I'm going to need to wait until 3rd ish 4th year since I never took grade 11/12 physics :S.
Yes, since they changed the requirements, it takes at least two years of university to meet them. You need:
Bio 1A03+1M03
Chem 1A03+1AA3
Math 1A03+1AA3
Physics 1L03+1B03 (and maybe 1BB3? idk)
If you're planning ahead, you can complete all of those in first year...and then still take one psych and maybe something else...there's definitely enough room.
Then, in second year:
Chem 2OA3+2OB3,
Chembio 2P03 or Chem 2PD3
Stats 2B03
Biochem 2EE3 OR 3G03 OR 2B03+2BB3
That's only 5 of 10 courses in second year...so definitely more than enough space.

For me, I didn't plan ahead to figure this out until near the end of first year, so I took math 1AA3 in the summer after first year and stats 2B03 the summer after second year (I didn't want to apply until this year)
Old 07-01-2011 at 11:07 PM   #17
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You don't need physics 1BB3. You either complete Ontario grade 12 high school physics or one full-year of physics (no lab preference aka Physics 1L03+1B03 would work) for UofT.
Old 07-02-2011 at 01:41 AM   #18
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I'm doing something similar to that except I may be taking physics 1b03 or bio 2ee3 in the summer. I still haven't had time to take bio2a03, though. I didn't really want to take it at the same time as either of the orgos since I heard it was extremely time consuming (the lab reports). Can anyone give me their opinion of the course and whether or not it's advised to take it at the same time as chem2oa3/ob3?
Also, since the earliest I'll be applying is third/fourth year, and there's no guarantee I'll get in the first time :(...I'm kind of stuck with a decision to make. If I DO apply in third, and get in, then I'd have to abandon my current degree and go on to pharmacy. Wouldn't that be a bit of a waste since I'd be heading into 4th year and that much closer to a degree. Is there such thing as returning later to finish the last year hahaha?
Quote:
Yes, since they changed the requirements, it takes at least two years of university to meet them. You need:
Bio 1A03+1M03
Chem 1A03+1AA3
Math 1A03+1AA3
If you're planning ahead, you can complete all of those in first year...and then still take one psych and maybe something else...there's definitely enough room.
Then, in second year:
Chem 2OA3+2OB3,
Chembio 2P03 or Chem 2PD3
Stats 2B03
Biochem 2EE3 OR 3G03 OR 2B03+2BB3
That's only 5 of 10 courses in second year...so definitely more than enough space.

For me, I didn't plan ahead to figure this out until near the end of first year, so I took math 1AA3 in the summer after first year and stats 2B03 the summer after second year (I didn't want to apply until this year)
Old 07-02-2011 at 06:50 AM   #19
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
I'm doing something similar to that except I may be taking physics 1b03 or bio 2ee3 in the summer. I still haven't had time to take bio2a03, though. I didn't really want to take it at the same time as either of the orgos since I heard it was extremely time consuming (the lab reports). Can anyone give me their opinion of the course and whether or not it's advised to take it at the same time as chem2oa3/ob3?
Also, since the earliest I'll be applying is third/fourth year, and there's no guarantee I'll get in the first time :(...I'm kind of stuck with a decision to make. If I DO apply in third, and get in, then I'd have to abandon my current degree and go on to pharmacy. Wouldn't that be a bit of a waste since I'd be heading into 4th year and that much closer to a degree. Is there such thing as returning later to finish the last year hahaha?
Well you could always graduate with a 3 year, non honors degree if u got in at the end of 3 years. If you have a GPA above 3.0 and you meet the PCAT cutoffs then you will get an interview with uoft.

Here are the cutoffs for this year:
Conventions of language: 3
Problem solving: 2.5
Composite: 20
Chemistry: 20
Biology: 10
Math: 10
Reading comp: 20
Verbal: 10

Keep in mind that the first 2 are grades out of 4 or 5 I believe an the rest are all percentiles. The PCAT is not like the MCAT so these cutoffs are fairly easy to meet.

This year there were about 600 applicants, about maybe 470 interviews. Do the math and your chances of getting an interview are quite high. Once you reach the interview stage you stand at about 60% chance of getting in...as 270 offers are made and another 80 are put on a waitlist. So don't worry about not getting in. After you get an interview decisions are based almost exclusively on your interview. GPA and PCAT play a very small role after this stage.
Old 07-02-2011 at 08:17 AM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I may have missed it, but why do you need bio 2A03?
Many programs require taking this course at the same time as orgo, so there are hundreds of students who do it each year.

And yes, you can graduate with a 3-year degree if you leave after third year for whatever reason.
Old 07-02-2011 at 01:23 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
I may have missed it, but why do you need bio 2A03?
Many programs require taking this course at the same time as orgo, so there are hundreds of students who do it each year.

And yes, you can graduate with a 3-year degree if you leave after third year for whatever reason.
There are actually different 3-year degrees. If you just so happen to have the requirements for an actual degree, then that's what you'll get. However if you don't, then you just get an exiting degree. It's really hard to get an actual degree if you are in a specialization because most of your courses will count as electives in a 3 year degree. But if you are in Honours Life Science, there's a Life Science degree that you would most likely be entitled to.
Old 07-02-2011 at 06:43 PM   #22
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There are actually different 3-year degrees. If you just so happen to have the requirements for an actual degree, then that's what you'll get. However if you don't, then you just get an exiting degree. It's really hard to get an actual degree if you are in a specialization because most of your courses will count as electives in a 3 year degree. But if you are in Honours Life Science, there's a Life Science degree that you would most likely be entitled to.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1495.html

Quote:
Students who successfully complete the first three levels of any Honours B.Sc. degree may request permission from the Office of the Associate Dean of Science (Studies) to transfer to graduate with a three-level B.Sc. degree.
Old 07-02-2011 at 07:36 PM   #23
larizhou

Liked: 0 Times

Do I honestly need Physics 1L03 when Im already taking PHYSICS 1B03?
Old 07-02-2011 at 08:02 PM   #24
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by larizhou View Post
Do I honestly need Physics 1L03 when Im already taking PHYSICS 1B03?
If you took grade 12 physics, you need neither. If not, then yes.

larizhou says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-02-2011 at 11:58 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
You have to meet the requirements for a specific 3 year degree though. So you can get a bachelor of science in life science for example, or you can just get a bachelor of science.

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-03-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2011 at 12:40 PM   #26
Radar

Liked: 1 Time

Just to clarify, I spoke with an academic advisor and if you are in any program in the science faculty you can apply after third year for a bachelor of science (major is just science) if you have taken four 3 unit science courses at level three or higher. If you are in life science you can still get the third year degree with a major in life science, they just changed it so that students who aren't in life science (for example in biology) cannot apply for a life science degree.
Old 07-04-2011 at 01:08 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Just to clarify, I spoke with an academic advisor and if you are in any program in the science faculty you can apply after third year for a bachelor of science (major is just science) if you have taken four 3 unit science courses at level three or higher. If you are in life science you can still get the third year degree with a major in life science, they just changed it so that students who aren't in life science (for example in biology) cannot apply for a life science degree.
There are other degrees other than life science too, I believe there are 3 year degrees for all programs which have a level I (Life Science, Physical Science, Environmental Science, etc...)
Old 07-07-2011 at 12:31 AM   #28
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There are other degrees other than life science too, I believe there are 3 year degrees for all programs which have a level I (Life Science, Physical Science, Environmental Science, etc...)
So if I'm in honours biology, would I be able to get a 3 year biology degree? haha. And, I may need biology 2a03 because I'm interested in taking the pharmacology course for third year, and it looks like a lot of a third year bio courses recommend or require 2a03. I don't think it would be a good idea to take it at the same time as chem20a3 or chem2ob3 though since the orgos require a ton of work, right?
Old 07-07-2011 at 12:46 AM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
So if I'm in honours biology, would I be able to get a 3 year biology degree? haha. And, I may need biology 2a03 because I'm interested in taking the pharmacology course for third year, and it looks like a lot of a third year bio courses recommend or require 2a03. I don't think it would be a good idea to take it at the same time as chem20a3 or chem2ob3 though since the orgos require a ton of work, right?
There is no such degree as a 3-year biology degree. The closest thing you can get is a 3-year life science degree and would therefore need to take some specific Life Science courses (ex: 2A03). So you would probably end up with a generic B.Sc degree.

If you are able to manage time you won't have any problems. I was easily able to manage my 2nd year course load and had plenty of time to relax and party a ton (I don't think I ever declined a party in my second year, unlike my third year.... that was an intense year). In case you wanted to know, my second year course load was:

Term 1:
Biochem 2B03
Biology 2D02
Biology 2EE3
Chem 2OA3
Econ 1B03

Term 2:
Biochem 2EE3
Biology 2A03
Biology 2B03
Biology 2C03
Chem 2OB3